G6 Review (using sensor code + calibrating)

For folks not looping, a non-functional CGM (or one that is way off in the BG that it reports) may not matter much…but since loop makes its decisions based on the numbers that are on the CGM, for loopers, it’s a big deal to have that accuracy. If the CGM reads 250 when the BG is actually closer to 100 or 150, loop still gives extra insulin because it’s looking at that CGM number. If he’s closer to 100 or 150 when loop gives that extra insulin, then that’s a problem, because now he has more IOB than he needs and he’ll need low correction(s) later. This is one of the biggest reason I’m an advocate for calibrating because I want loop making the best possible decisions about insulin management.

I do hope one day there is a great system that is both ACCURATE (for the old AND the young), and doesn’t spit chunks so often. Not complaining too much since I do realize how good we do have it today based upon the rough time the true old timers had with the guillotine BG check and none of the tech that we have today…but still, hopefully the tech gets even better, before Liam is an adult (if a full cure isn’t realized by then (here’s hoping!!))

4 Likes

That’s one reason I stopped Looping: for me, the accuracy just wasn’t there even though the G5 was reasonably predictable. Some weeks my G6 experience is right in the 20 points/20% zone, others (like this past week) off 50 points or more. Sigh…yet I, too, am grateful for all this stuff.

1 Like

Go back in time yet again. You have no idea how much better the first big, boxy and difficult to work with glucose meters were compared to what preceded them. Before glucose meters we pretty much just guessed. We really had nothing else but to speculate based on how we thought we “felt”.

It was only after I had access to a personal glucometer that I came to realize how consistently I was completely wrong about my blood glucose.

4 Likes

The urine tests were fun, I’m sure.

Thank goodness for this community of old timers to let all us newbies know of all the true struggles of people with diabetes back in the early days of the diagnosis (and before)

3 Likes

In my case, I have a high threshold before I see glucose in my urine. So urine tests wouldn’t tell me much more than that I was definitely high. The biggest change with glucometers was that they let you know when your BG was low.

2 Likes

I know G6 can be problematic with kids and even for me the first 8-12 hours are hit and miss. Sometimes it is spot on and other times wildly off. After 12 hours really good.

Just an idea that I have heard in the adult space is to let the G6 “pre-soak” prior to pairing to the transmitter. I know a different proposition with kids, but maybe something to consider. Maybe you could insert the new sensor in the evening, let it soak overnight and then pair it in the morning.

Sorry about the problems. Hopefully next sensor will be better.

2 Likes

I have seen no down-side to “over” calibration. I test a lot, so it’s easy for me. If the number the Dex is showing is stupid, I calibrate it twice to make it match my actual BG number.

2 Likes

We are the same way.

But the G6 doesn’t allow it like the G5 did. If you calibrate even once and the G6 doesn’t like the number, it forces you into a practically endless cycle of… come back in 15 min and reenter the BG.

I had lots of sensor errors when I first switched to G6. I just couldn’t get the sensor to last more than a few days. I was wearing the sensor on my stomach area, same as the G5. Then someone, I think @JessicaD, mentioned she had to switch to her upper, back arm. Low and behold that did the trick. So maybe you’ll need to move the location for Liam, too.

Also, I’ve mentioned this before, but a Dex rep told me to wait 10 to 20 minutes between stooping an expired sensor and starting the new sensor. I always wait at least 10 minutes and it really helps with the sensor accuracy on the first day. It can still be a bit jumpy but accuracy is much better than soaking. I also put the new sensor on 1 to 2 hours before starting it, but mainly for convenience since I usually change the sensor in the middle of the night.

I’m also looping and for me, I find the G6 accuracy better than the g5.

2 Likes

@Trying thanks for tagging me. @ClaudnDaye I am sorry that you are having this issue, but that is awesome that Liam liked the insertion process! I still get myself worked up about the lack of control in shooting the sensor into my arm and then push the orange button and am always also like … what? That was it?!

I think I had some of the same issues that you are having and have figured out how to sneak by some of them. BUT I am not looping, so my hacks are lower risk to me. I am guessing you are still going to want to be checking his BS manually for awhile.

First, I ALWAYS put a new sensor on THE DAY BEFORE (12-24 hours before) the old one dies. (I do not put a transmitter into it or tape over it; I just let it sit on my arm and haven’t had any issues with doing it that way). That gives the filament a chance to adjust to my interstitial fluid. (Notice I didn’t use the damn “pre-soak” term – it still grosses me out!) If I do not do this, readings from the first 12-24 hours of a new sensor will be WRONG and always alarm-blaringly low for me. It is infuriating.

Second, if I try to calibrate out of a situation like that, Dexcom goes into an ERROR spin, asking for another 15 minutes before testing again, usually ultimately shutting down completely and giving me that “bad sensor” error. So, this will not help you at all, but if I forget to put a new sensor in a day prior to the old one finishing, I simply shut off my Dexcom app for at least 12 hours after I put a new sensor in. I know it’s going to be wrong and likely give me a bad sensor error and I can’t deal with the technology crap of calibrating alongside testing manually.

Finally, I actually can’t remember when I moved from my stomach to my arm, but my stomach was a huge fail for getting sensors to last. I got so many free sensors out of the deal, I honestly think I didn’t pay for sensors for almost a year. I remember @Trying and I switched to our arms at around the same time and it was like a miracle. But I don’t know if it’s more of an adult thing that our arms work better and kids’ stomachs are better; I just hope some of this might be useful AND that you’re able to keep/find an insertion spot that works well for your sweet boy. Fingers crossed for you. Jessica

5 Likes

I agree with the change to the arm tricep area for the G6 sensor. I had many sensor failures on the waist after changing from the G5. A person with a low Body Mass Index may have the same problem.

4 Likes

We have always only used our upper arm/tricep area. He won’t let me put it anywhere else right now.

3 Likes

Some pics of the old sensor and transmitter. No blood noticed.

The current session was set with no code. Will see what happens when I single and double calibrate when necessary.

2 Likes