Frustration with Omnipod Dash

I have been using the Dash pumps for a couple of months now and am having more issues with post-meal spikes, bruises at the insertion sites, and not getting a full 3 days from too many of the pumps than I ever did with the Eros pods! I don’t know what gives but I am seriously thinking of taking a pump break.

Here’s an example: Yesterday I changed the pump and my blood sugar was steady around 110-115 per a calibration fingerstick.I pre-bolused for dinner and felt the insulin going in. The sensor readings were a little jumpy (as expected with a new sensor) but it looks like 1.5 hours after the bolus my blood sugar started climbing fast. I gave myself more insulin and walked laps around my house for a total of 30 minutes. My BG topped out around 200 (per the CGM) and then started coming back down very slowly.

This same pattern has occurred several times after a pump change (I am going to start tracking the frquency) and I don’t know why. I haven’t been eating treats or made any changes to my diet. The Dash pods look much like the Eros pods to me but I am wondering if maybe the cannula material has changed? Or something else has changed??? Is anyone else having similar issues? Thanks for any insights or suggestions. :pray:

6 Likes

Switched from Eros to Dash months ago and have had no issues. We hold the skin up at the front during insertion like we did with the Eros Pods.

So sorry you are having these issues.

4 Likes

Thanks for your reply! I do as well and also press lightly over the cannula area during insertion.

Glad Liam is doing well the the pumps. :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

I’ve always had a bit less absorption the first few hours on Dash and now Omnipod 5. I will not eat a meal after a pod change because of this.

I know some people will bolus a bit after a pod change to get it going or cover the poor absorption. I prefer to do the opposite and push a little bit of insulin with the almost expired pod right before I change it or do a pod change after my meals. But I usually get 80 hours out of a site so this might not be a feasible option for you if the site is already failing.

5 Likes

As far as I know, the Dash pods are identical to the older version.

It’s so much cheaper for them to do it that way. If they change anything at all, they need to spend so much more on testing.

As evidence, think about how the Dash hack is the same as the old Eros hack. They did not even change the way the nonce was incremented, which made it easy to use the old Loop code and use it for the Dash. The only difference was the comms were bluetooth instead of RF (and they had to do that, since they went to a phone for the PDM).

There are a million possibilities with BG and diabetes.

But this would be super easy to test out. If you want, I can send you some of the older pods, and I can even send you a RileyLink, so you can still use Loop. That way, nothing changes except the pods. And you can rule it out or rule it in, very easily.

3 Likes

Ain’t that the truth! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

@CatLady,
Are you still Looping? Do you want to try a few weeks of the old pods to just rule that out?

Super easy switch, all you gotta do is carry the RileyLink around. Everything else is the same.

I have all the stuff, if you need it. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks, Eric, probably not right now but I sure do thank you!

Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Are you using G6 with your loop? I imagine it’ll still stick around for a bit but I’d like to get ready for G7.

I like being able to snooze alarms because there are times when it takes 30 minutes for the sensor to realize that the hypoglycemia has ended.

I’m on Android using Xdrip so am unfamiliar with the Apple approaches although it seems like the technology for both types of phones gets released in tandem.

2 Likes

I am currently using G6. I have to get my Loop version to incorporate G7 before Dexcom ends the G6. :grimacing:

I have my own modified Loop version I am using, so I have to get the G7 into it by myself.

My long range plan (and we always have to think long term, since the disease does not go away!) is that eventually Insulet will end the Dash pods and try to get everyone on their O5 version, at which point I will probably switch to the Tandem Mobi tubeless thingy.

4 Likes

That is my plan, too. :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

@Eric @CatLady Thanks to both of you because I’ll have to solve this as well.

3 Likes

It seems like dexcom will keep producing g6 until Omnipod 5 switches over to G7.

Sooo I’m guessing you have at least another like year plus?? Much to my chagrin :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I like the optimistic Plus, Josie.I have issues with early failure of the G6, but better the Devil you know. It appears that the G7 may have so same issues with a host of other ones, such as poor adhesion and applicator.

With the G6 applicator, I press it hard to my skin and do sort of a rocking motion to make sure the pad is secure. Then i pull the applicator and my skin out a bit before hitting the button. This has worked very well to limit the inserter needle from hitting muscle.

It appears the G7 applicator does not allow my method, requiring it ti be pressed firmly before actuating.

I can live with the longer warm up time of the G6. I change my sensors about 2-3 hours before dinner and always do a finger stick before dinner bolus, not a calibration.

3 Likes

@MarkP I’m using Loop on iOS, Dash and G6. I switched from Eros to Dash pods a few weeks ago. So far, so good. I still have my RileyLink and many Eros pods as a backup.

Loop does support G7 but I’ve yet to switch. G6 alarms can be suspended for 30 minutes. Are you saying that G7 critical alarms cannot be suspended for the default 30 minutes? This would definitely be a step backward in my mind!

2 Likes

I’m pretty happy most of the time with g6. I do a couple of fingstersticks each day to double check and I don’t see that changing on G7. My biggest annoyance is the first 12 hours being completely worthless .

I would love to have just one prescription instead of two that don’t always equal each other.

2 Likes

Not sure as I haven’t tried it yet. I just recall the historical Dexcom softwares forcing the alarms until the number was above the threshold. However, xDrip allows whatever types of snooze one wants to do.

I’ve been using Android APS for the pump control but am open to whatever works best.

2 Likes

Like @eric I don’t believe there is any substantial difference between Eros and Dash however there might be some change in the angle of the canula insertion. Something was discussed along those lines a while back.

My own feeling is that a pump change is a major challenge. My skin has been primed with insulin for the old pump and is in a steady state delivering insulin (slowly :frowning: to where it does something useful. Change the site and all that goes away, now the new site has to be primed by filling it full of insulin so that it proceeds, fluid-akimbo, into the rest of my skin.

Change the minutest thing and the pump (canula) change period varies.

2 Likes