Freestyle Libre Adhesive Allergy

Welcome to For Unliminted Diabetics (FUD) @HenryD! And, thanks for the tip about the adhesive!

1 Like

Tegaderm has worked so far on 3 of the sensors. I will let you know if any issue down the road

2 Likes

Last week I tried a Libre sensor for the first time in a while. I put down a hydrocolloid bandaid (actually, two slightly overlapping bandaids, since I didnā€™t have large ones) with a hole cut in them for the sensor to go through. Iā€™m eight days into the current sensor and there is NO hint of itching or soreness. I am super happy and am probably going to try something similar for infusion sets.

3 Likes

I punched hole in center before unwrapping tegaderm to prevent needle going through film or taking bite of film into the skin.

2 Likes

I have found (for me) a foolproof way to avoid Libre rashes:

Put this on between you and the Libre, and punch right through the bandage. Just make sure you line things up because the bandage part is what protects you and itā€™s virtually the same size as the sensor.

Ever since applying this first, Iā€™ve had zero rashes.

2 Likes

On a Dutch forum someone shared a 3D printable model of a stencil to make a hole for the Libre needle in a tegaderm and correctly position the Libre applicator right above the hole. Hereā€™s the link to the 3D file, in case anyone would like to use this:
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/sticker-template-for-freestyle-libre-glucose-sensor
Some example pictures by the person who made this stencil:

3 Likes

Interesting, not sure why they they didnā€™t incorporate a razor blade into their model which could have made the cuts simply by pressing down on an art board. Definitely seems like a German/Dutch thing to use multiple exacting steps and different colored pens. Even with the stencil, if I tried to do that it would look like crap and wouldnā€™t align with the libre at all.

1 Like

I am using Tegaderm below sensor I order a 6cmx7cm patch. A couple of sensors failed then I started punching a hole in the center. It is not working so well on the back of my hand but it gives good results on other parts of the body. I still get some irritation on the skin after a few days but no major effect to the skin after 14 days.