Freestyle Libre Adhesive Allergy

I measured the width of the sensor, marked the tegaderm that was on thigh with that measurement. (my endo suggested I try applying to the front of my thigh) used tweezers to lift the center of the marked area and just snipped a little bit of the tegaderm where the needle from the applicator would enter. I used cuticle scissors to make the cut in the tegaderm and a non toxic crayola marker to mark the tegaderm. After I cut a little of the tegaderm where the needle would enter I used a q-tip dipped in alcohol to clean the area and applied nasal spray with a q-tip to that area.

I know it sounds like a lot to do but I am trying not to give up my Freestyle Libre.

Hope this info helps you.

4 Likes

@Lisa, @Bonni, possibly you can find a punch that is roughly the area you want to cut out? This is what we use with Dexcom sensors:

EK Tools Tag Punch Classic for Dexcom G4/G5 sensor

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the info. It is communication like this that makes this forum so important. So happy I stumbled upon it.

2 Likes

That helps, but I am still unsure about how you position the applicator over the hole to ensure that the needle goes through that spot. Is it just a guess?

I measure the the applicator, mark a circle that size on the tegaderm that I applied. Cut a small opening in the center of that circle for the needle. When you align the sensor in the marked circle the needle is in the proper spot.

I used a nontoxic marker to mark the circle for placement.

3 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if your thigh gets a lot of friction from pants? Maybe Iā€™m crazy (and itā€™s my boyfriend with T1 and the sensors and pump not me, so no firsthand experience here) but as a lady, my pants are tighter and I think it might rub.

Also I was thinking maybe the mastisol might be irritating? You have switched to a pretty intense regimen with lots of variables, and Iā€™m wondering if one of those isnā€™t continuing to irritate your skin.

My second thought would be to call Dexcom before using them, and ask them to send you a sample of their adhesive and their additional adhesive stickers they offer to customers. You could just stick it on and see if it drove your skin nuts or not.

Also, we have used a variety of barrier wipes, and some are way better than others. Currently, we have a ā€œskin prepā€ brand and I despise it. I swear I have to scrub my hands for minutes to get it off my fingers just from opening the wipes. We used to have Safe nā€™ Simple No-Sting Skin Barrier Film, which I got from an amazing wound care doctor up in Vacaville, CA. He hooked me up with some ā€œsamplesā€ for EH to try, which is how I found that brand. They were much less gross and sticky. They seemed to work. (I just decided life is short and I hate those other things. So I am ordering some safe n simples off Amazon now. Thanks for the nudge. :slight_smile:)

We also have adhesive issues at our house. Mainly with the OmniPod adhesive. But in thinking about your situation (which sucks! I am sorry about the pain and discomfort youā€™re experiencing!) I am hoping youā€™ll find something that works out soon.

If youā€™re going to test out any of the supplies, see if thereā€™s a wound care place near you (big cities only) OR get ahold of a few different brands of wipes or barrier creams and paint them onto you without the sensor first. Then if you react youā€™ll know before going through with another sensor.

Good luck!!!

1 Like

Ahh, now I get it!

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much for all of the hints. I am definitely going to contact Dexcom for adhesive samples and contact a wound care clinic. I live in the Pittsburgh area so I am sure someone can help me. I never would have thought of doing the things you suggested. Bandaid has a product called tough care, i use that to cover the sensor temporarily when I think there may be a lot of fiction.

Thank you again, your post came at a perfect time I just applied my last freestyle sensor an hour ago and decided I was done.

1 Like

:pleading_face::sob::triumph::sleepy: I fought a good fight but just cannot make the freestyle libre work for me. My arms and thighs look like Swiss cheese with all the spots healing from reactions.i got a sample of the Dexcom adhesive and it seems to be working so far with no irritation. I will contact my endo on Monday and request the Dexcomā€¦libre I surrender!

Is it strange that I feel like I somehow failed?

3 Likes

Great! Iā€™m sooooo glad that worked out! I wouldnā€™t have thought to do it myself if I hadnā€™t been having a conversation with that amazing wound care doctor about adhesive allergies when I was visiting him 3x a week for a month. Eventually you run through small talk when you see a person that often. LOL!

Iā€™m so glad that you are able to tolerate the Dex. Iā€™m sorry you feel like you failed with the Libre. Remind yourself: itā€™s not you, itā€™s them! Whatever is in that sticky isnā€™t meant for you. And you gave it a solid try! Donā€™t feel bad!

Another thing I have learned from FUD: your doctor works for you; so donā€™t forget that if you need them to advocate for you to get the Dexcom. That is their job. Additionally, if you are in a large area there should be a Dexcom representative that might be able to give you tips for getting the Dexcom approved.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all your help.

3 Likes

There is very little downside, if any, to switch the the Dexcom!

There is always the possibility of more adhesive reactions later on. Even if that happens, you may be able to alternate with the Freestyle Libre, and there are still many options you can try against allergies that are left, if the switch is not enough in the long term.

We love our Dexcom! It has changed both our lives as parents and our treatment to diabetes. We are much more confident and aggressive. Our CGM is worth gold in peace of mind, and at least 1% A1c if not more.

2 Likes

@Michel thank you so much for the encouragement.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Freestyle Libre sensors may need to be durable equipment for insurance

this would be mineā€¦ any updates on this?
did you try another brand.

I start feeling itchy sensation after few days and it stops after couple or more days. When sensor is removed there is dark brown spot on the skin which remains forever. Can you give more details of tegaderm tape. Does it have two sided adhesive. How well the senor sticks?

Glad to see you back @Gandhi. The Tegaderm is a barrier film, it only has adhesive on one side (skin side), but creates a really effective barrier to your skin. The sensor is then adhered to the non-adhesive side, but should stay stuck the entire sensor life. You can either create a hole for the sensor to go through or just punch it through. People have reported both working.

Usually people donā€™t try the barrier film until they have already figured out that flonase sprayed on the area and dried before sensor application or the barrier creams arenā€™t working, since the barrier film is the most extreme way to work with the sensors.

Thanks Chris for the prompt response

1 Like

I havenā€™t read through this thread, but I tried to use the Libre starting in the summer and had the same problem. Even though several layers of Cavilon spray and a layer of Opsite Flexifix tape I still got reactions that would take a couple weeks to fade.

My allergist said I could try using prescription steroid cream (which I have for atopic dermatitis) on the sensor site prior to insertion. I havenā€™t gotten up the nerve to try this. My allergist feels Iā€™m allergic to acrylates in the adhesive glue. I did some searching, and it appears this is a not uncommon issue. For example:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6717817/

I have to wait until offices are open again (COVID-19) to get patch testing to confirm. I discovered that I also canā€™t use Purell hand sanitizer or my hands get a horrible red, itchy reaction that lasts for days. I looked at the ingredients, and Purell contains acrylates, albeit a different type of acrylates. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s all related, but it seems to be pointing in that direction.

1 Like

Iā€™m not using Freestyle but my son has allergy on Dexcom and Omnipod so I searched up a lot information of adhesive allergyā€¦ here is what I found for Freestyle Libre - the adhesive patch itself rarely cause the allergy, but the glue to bond the plastic parts of sensor (white and clear plastic) which contain a chemical called ā€œIsobornyl Acrylateā€ is the allergen. it seeps to the patch so you would think the patch is the bad guy.
Regular blocking with barrier film or flonase would release a little but not fully getting rid of reaction. What we can do is pulling off the original patch and bond sensor to a hydrocolloid dressing (Band Aid Hydro Seal) with double sided adhesive tape and apply to skin.

3 Likes