Flonase for ragweed season

It’s ragweed season again, firing up my allergy symptoms. I’m considering using Flonase nasal spray to help this year, but am concerned about possible blood sugar impacts.

Anyone have experience with this?

1 Like

Not Flonase, but I take a prescription-strength steroid nasal spray year-round due to allergies. (Plus antihistamines.)

Topical steroids like nasal sprays, inhalers, creams and the like aren’t supposed to get into your bloodstream the way oral steroids or even steroid eye drops do. So they’re not supposed to have an impact on blood sugar.

I recently stopped taking a steroid asthma inhaler thinking maybe it would improve my blood sugar control and help me lose weight. It’s had zero effect except that my lungs are slightly more irritated/reactive than they are with it.

4 Likes

I’ve used it off and on for many years. Zero effect on blood sugar. The cheapest place I’ve found, by far, to buy it is on amazon for the Kirkland signature generic 5-pack “aller-flo”. You’ll see it if you just search for Flonase. (That’s the Costco generic brand so Costco might even be cheaper)

4 Likes

Ditto the others. I use Flonase when needed, but it has no effect on BG.

3 Likes

i use Flonase without any bg problems. at first i thought it wasnt for me bc of possible steroid interactions, but that didnt happen. IMHO i would just try it out and see what happens bc YDMV. but,again, i have NEVER had a problem with it and it really really works well.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks you guys!

1 Like

glad we could help, Mike :sunny:

1 Like

Also, Flonase has made a new unscented spray called Sensimist and it’s great. If anyone has avoided nasal sprays because they’re gross (like me) this new stuff is great.

What? I’ve never heard of a scented nasal spray?! Must be a US thing…I wouldn’t use it, either! Ick. All my stuff is unscented.

1 Like

Yeah not sure what you mean regarding scent… Flonase, Nasonex, and all of the generic equivalents of both that I’ve ever used don’t have any scent that I’m able to detect… but maybe it varies from one person to next