Flat line, but that's not the point

My point was that insulin only works once it gets absorbed into your blood. It does not work in the muscle or fat. From those places it eventually gets absorbed into the blood, where it starts to work.

So the “eventually” part, the time you are waiting on it to get absorbed into the blood, that is the part that makes insulin so slow.

Does insulin work faster when accidentally hitting capillaries, ? Have you injected subcutaneously, only to find a small amount of blood? I think that I hit a small capillary- it’s blood.

As a follow up question, how about trying to target capillaries so that the insulin can work faster? Don’t we want insulin to work faster, and for the insulin to be out of our system faster?

It can work faster. Sometimes this is the goal, and others not. The problem is especially acute when you hit a large capillary with your Lantus and it goes straight into the bloodstream and hits you all at once. Really, it is just another tool in the chest of options.

1 Like

That’s rarely what I want. I want the insulin to reach my bloodstream at the same rate as the glucose from digesting what I ate. If my meal bolus entered my bloodstream all at once rather than oozing in over time, I’d have a severe low.

2 Likes

I’ve experienced this with Lantus! I switched to Tresiba and have not had any issues. A sigh of relief!

1 Like