First time I forgot to take a pod change bolus

I’ve gotten in the bad habit of listening to music way too loud while doing a pod change (typically change pods after a shower…in which I’m listening to way too loud music).

I was too busy singing badly to follow proper pod change technique and while I remembered to set a +15% temp basal for 90 minutes…I spaced on taking a 1.0 unit pod change bolus as I usually do.

Which is why I’m still up reading tonight waiting for this stuck 250 to reverse…at least I hope it’s stopped climbing. My Dexcom appears to have started drinking again and is making stuff up…

3 Likes

At least this will give you solice that you’re not alone in this time of trouble. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Aw, bummer! I hope it resolves without stealing too much sleep tonight!!

1 Like

rotflmao. Sleep? What is this “sleep” that you speak of? Do describe it! It sounds joyous!

I hope your BG’s come down quickly! The good news on our end is that he’s not actually that high, thank goodness. Just checked him and he’s 206. Still high, but not 300 high (which is what the BG says now.) Waiting for him to level off, then calibrating.

1 Like

Glad he’s in the lower orbit and not the upper one!

The benefit of me being up is I’m hearing my kiddo have a barking allergy cough in his sleep. Already did a sleeping nebulizer treatment on him. Now I’ve set up his humidifier since he had another horrendous fit and fell out of bed.

I’ll be around all night if anyone needs anything!

5 Likes

Hope both of you did manage to get some rest last night. :sleeping:

1 Like

Thanks! This ended up being us (Sleep was nice, although I still wake up every 2 hours to “adjust” as necessary.) Lots of “suspend basal” last night.

5 Likes

So, you could do what you have been trained to do and make yourself a little checklist. Just saying…

1 Like

Hmm? Checklist for what? I already have a checklist (previously created because I forget to do important things before bed). You talking about another checklist besides this one?

1 Like

I was trying to respond to the OP, who is a commercial pilot and all. (and whom I was trying to quietly pilot-shame) But for you, nothing but good feelings, and jealousy over your last night’s sleep and blood sugar control. Looks great.

4 Likes

Yes, Checklists do help if you’re forgetful (like me)

1 Like

LOL.

Yeah. There’s technique…and then there’s procedure…and I followed neither last night. I’m playing fast and loose with singing and dancing and pod changing all at once. Not a good look for me.

I ended up getting a solid 5 hours last night. I feel like in the T1D world that equates to around 7 hours of sleep for a non-D person. Like dog years…but different.

2 Likes

One’s Turning, Two’s Burning, Rotor in the Green, good to Go! Yipee

For the non helicopter pilots on the forum, the above is a terrible pre-takeoff checklist, that would be replacing a careful 12 step checklist that should be gone over thoughtfully prior to lifting off. However, when one gains too much experience, one bad habit is to short cut checklists…and live life vicariously. It usually works out ok…

3 Likes

I had a similar problem with my pod change last night but not to the same extent (8 mmol/l = 144 mg/dl) :laughing:

@Aaron, were you singing and dancing and distracted, too? Bc I hear that can cause problems for people…

1 Like

Have you been taking lessons from @Nickyghaleb?!?

1 Like

That’s amazing. I have been in a helicopter from Havasu Falls (which is on a Native American reservation, and thus might not be governed by the FAA, I’m not sure). Anyhow the dude flying the helicopter didn’t do any checking. Landed, dumped off people and gear, and loaded us new passengers up, didn’t look twice and took off. It was insane. And also amazing because I got to sit in the front. And only $85 (which is maybe the cheapest helicopter ride in the world.) 12 point inspection?!? Ha!

2 Likes

For the record, I do not sing. And that makes nobody sad. Trust me.

But I can do distracted by dancing. That’s my specialty.

What are you guys talking about? :grin:

2 Likes

I sent this thread to EH and he replied “I’ve never done a pod change bolus, didn’t know that was a thing.” And I replied “I didn’t either. But it explains why you’re often high after.“

Thanks @T1Allison!

3 Likes

I can neither confirm or deny that. :laughing:

1 Like