First 500+ in years

Y’all are awesome. I like all of the problem solving and resilience in this thread. I try to be as cool and calm and mostly succeed…but last night was a rage bolus kinda night followed by a pre-breakfast site change. Who needs sleep?!

Mini hot dogs are awesome. That’s my
main thought to contribute in closing. :woman_facepalming::blush:

7 Likes

Also, if you eat…

12 hotdogs!

:rofl:

For a 6 year old, 12 hotdogs is kind of like the hotdog eating contests they have at Coney Island!

I am worried he might take me some day in an eating contest!

12 dogs. Way to go Liam!

3 Likes

I have had those kind of days.

1 Like

I think he means “Pigs in a Blanket”. I will eat 8-10 at a time. I count carbs and bolus for that then don’t worry about the high that follows. It always does. And a couple of hours later I am back to “normal”. If I try to bolus again shortly after eating, I will be heading to the 60’s two or three hours later. Sooner if I am exercising.

1 Like

Yes, but I find exercising very problematic if I have IOB!! I’ll end up low in a short time. Of course, it is a great strategy to lower BGs quickly, too, and I use it! But only for a specific time, and I stay close to home!

3 Likes

A few things. When he is extremely high his body isn’t performing as it usually does and hypers comes with their own side effects or symptoms you need to watch out for much like hypos. I just never like to take the chance of something negative happening due to his high that is exacerbated by running around. Secondly, anytime he has a significant amount of iob , and starts running around he inevitably ends up crashing and getting a low that is very difficult for us to bring up. Lastly, if he’s high and actually does have ketones, running around isn’t recommended. He didn’t have them but i don’t always check for ketones when he is high so i just go under the presumption that he may have an amount of ketones in his system.

Yep, those are the ones! Liam calls them mini hotdogs. :smiley:

5 Likes

Yes - that makes sense. It highlights the challenges / dangers of managing diabetes with insulin and not diet. You may be able to raise the size of the bolus, but that has its own challenges.

Even ‘fast-acting’ insulin seems to get a boost with exercise.

e

2 Likes

I know the Freestyle Lite can go up to 600. Ask me how I know… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I think you need a good mix of both. We don’t “diet” in any way, but we definitely ensure he doesn’t eat too much that’s bad for him…just like all our other kids.

3 Likes