FIASP not lowering glucose

I have just tried Fiasp with my TSlim2 pump. It did not work at all, It did not lower my glucose.
The first session ended with occlusion alarms the second day, tested the tube and the canula, there were no occlusions. I never have problems with scar tissue either.

I have changed back to using Novolog.

1 Like

How many times did you try it?

1 Like

two cartridges

I have heard from other people it doesn’t work for them. Mostly I have heard it stops though after you have been using it a little while, 2 weeks, 2 months??? I am one that I have it in a pen and the first time I tried it, it was great. I am on Humalog through a pump and just wanted it for the off and on highs. But I decided to try it for a full day. I kept giving myself more and more insulin and was wondering what was going on and then it dawned on me maybe I am having trouble with the fiasp itself. It turns out if I use it once a day it’s okay, but if I try to use it a second time for the day it takes a lot longer to work. I swear I even notice a difference if I use it 2 days in a row.

4 Likes

Same here. After 1-2 months it virtually stopped working in my Omnipod pump. I switched back to Humalog, and absorption returned to normal.

I think Marie is right, I’ve also noticed if I don’t use it continuously it seems to work for short periods, though it was never any faster than Humalog.

2 Likes

Do you have a sensitivity to Vitamin B3 (niacin)? Fiasp is just Novolog mixed with that. Since you are OK on straight Novolog, beyond from the obvious comment, “Stick with it”, it might be worth checking out the possibility of some reaction to the extra ingredient.

For me the extra maybe makes the expected difference, but all we are talking about is a 5 minute, 10 minute absolute max, acceleration to the start of adsorption of the insulin. This might make a difference to me because I only know how much I am eating when I start eating. However in many cases I need a 20 minute warning to manage the post-prandial highs. In some sense it is a waste of effort; an extra 10 minutes really isn’t enough.

I use it because it doesn’t cost me any more and, apart from the odd stinging which isn’t an issue for me, it has no downside. I don’t care about the stinging. If Novolog cost me less (impossible for me) I’d use it instead.

2 Likes

Okay that’s interesting, @jbowler I have never noticed a stinging with it. But when it is working it does seem to work about 30 minutes faster than Humalog for me.

1 Like

Interesting. For us, we have been using it for about a year in pens, and about 4 months in pumps. It still works well without trouble, and is definitely a lot faster on average than Novolog, although there are times, maybe 30% of the time, when it is just as fast as Novolog.

Weirdly, there are numerous occasions where it is quasi-instantaneous in a pump. At first, I was putting it down to coincidence, but it was so often the case that I asked around and found out from another parent of T1 teen that it was true for them also.

3 Likes

Wow, I never experienced that. I’m glad it is working well for Kaelin though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve used Fiasp extensively and for me it has an onset nearly 4x’s faster than humalog via MDI. I’ve occasionally felt an injection sting, it’s curious but certainly not a deal breaker.

From time to time I’ve also noticed it seems to lose its efficacy, especially its faster onset. I concluded I likely develop Fiasp specific insulin antibodies, and I give it a rest for a couple of months.

Which reminds me nows a good time to retry it, as I stopped 8 weeks ago tomorrow for a rest and reset.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. For me, it isn’t just NOT faster than Humalog, but not even an insulin reaction! Like water! I’ve not heard of developing insulin antibodies. That’s scary. I still have several vials of Fiasp so I could try it again. The problem here with switching among insulins is that a prescription is needed! For me, that means paying for a Dr prescription since they now charge for them unless it coincides with an appt. And insurance only allows one fast acting insulin prescription!

4 Likes

One of the few benefits of living in the great white north :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I used Fiasp for a week or so early last year. I did act faster than my Humalog, but I developed a rash and a big red spot where I had injected into my arm. I went back to Humalog. Several days later the rash finally disappeared.

3 Likes

Richard, I am curious because you don’t seem allergic to much. Was it direct injections or a pump?

1 Like

@Michel, I used a pump at first and had itching and no rash. I stopped the pump usage and used Humalog again. The next time had a high above 170 I injected Fiasp. There was a half inch red spot around the injection ad a lot of rash around that. I have not used any more Fiasp and I have never used Novolog.

2 Likes

I’m beginning to wonder if I’m in the same boat a couple weeks into using fiasp… at first I was impressed, but now I’m wondering if I just am not absorbing it correctly because it seems to be less and less effective every single meal almost… to early to tell for sure…

Bizarre because it is just the same thing as novolog plus something to speed it’s absorbtion…

2 Likes

@Sam I was only using one dose every 2-5 days and now it appears it’s decided to not work properly at all. All of a sudden it was “did I dose right?” Then the next time “I don’t think it’s working” To the next time, “it definitely isn’t working”. I was hoping I would have a faster acting for use off and on, I’ll have to try Afrezza I guess.

2 Likes

I had a major site issue three or four Omnipods ago. Fiasp, or the Omnipod, or treatments for a non-functional pancreas simply stopped working. I was injecting 3x the amount of Fiasp I normally do and barely managing to stay below 400.

I swapped my site to the back of my abdomen when I replaced the pod (I should not have waited for the expiration) and everything went back to, actually, better than normal. I even got the stinging sensation on a bolus!

I find this very worrying. I’m not sure they really tested it properly; I’ve been using it since Insulet got approval for use in an Omnipod and since my insurer said I had to use Novo products, but I find the behavior somewhat freaky.

My endo glommed the episode as a site issue, which is very possible. I had been constrained to use forward sites, pretty much my abdomen, as a result of a broken arm. All the same, I got really good results from the site change but now they seem to be getting less.

2 Likes

I have to admit… I posted this in a moment of frustration after eating something new at a restaurant that I hugely underestimated the carbs for… but overall fiasp has since been working pretty well for me…

3 Likes

Your amongst friends @Sam, thanks for clarifying. We once ate at a new Thai place and the cook must have been thickening everything with sugar instead of corn starch. The rocket ride was amazing.

2 Likes