FIASP not lowering glucose

Croque Madame in this case… it was so heavy I couldn’t even finish it…

The only recognizable carbs in it were two slices of bread but obviously there was a lot else going on in there that did not meet the eye

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the insights from everybody!

I just switched to Fiasp about 1 week ago, and since tonight it doesn’t seem to work anymore, I guess similar to what @jbowler experienced.
I’m also using Omnipod. Even after changing the pod to another place at about 10am, the glucose 1 hour later doesn’t seem to go down.
All night the sugar was rising, Loop was trying to fight it with a lot of insulin but it couldn’t stop the rise.
I’ve now injected Novo Rapid “manually” via the pen do bring it down, but I’ll keep the pod and see what Fiasp can do (or cannot do).

Anyway, really cool to see a big community here! :hearts:

8 Likes

I never used fiasp, but what you describe seems common from what I have read from other users.

Welcome to fud!!

4 Likes

Did you change any of your pump settings when you switched to Fiasp? I tried Fiasp with Omnipod for a little while, and found that I couldn’t replace Humalog with Fiasp without doing several adjustments. I needed to change the insulin action time and the correction factor as well as adjust levels and durations of some basal rates, particularly those that overlapped with meal times. Even then, after about a month it was like pumping water, so I returned to Humalog. Others have been happy though, so keep trying and see if you can find what works.

5 Likes

FIASP did not work at all for me, like others have said, it was like injecting water.
I am very happy with Novolog.

4 Likes

Thanks for your responses!
@Beacher Luckily there is already a FIASP Setting there to choose, I’ve selected it from the beginning :slight_smile:
I’ll keep trying FIASP and post an update after some time :+1:

3 Likes

I will chime in here, too. I tried Fiasp with Omnipod and Loop, too, but as others had said, it was like injecting water. I returned to Humalog, and absorption returned to normal.

4 Likes

I have no issue using FIASP in my pens, but every time I use it in my Omnipod I get swelling and irritation at the site. Not sure why this is, but I told my Endo about it and he hadn’t heard that complaint before.

4 Likes

I sometimes get irritation with Fiasp. It’s intermittent but expected because Fiasp is Novolog insulin with an “adjuvant” (same as “adjutant” but more cussing and less strutting.) The principle adjuvant (Nordisk seem to promote two) is nicotinamide; it’s basically one of those drugs that is sold as a skin treatment, or [i.e. it is widely marketed by the skin industry, read the reviews].

So it really does serious stuff to our skin. My hypothesis is that this is why it sometimes accelerates insulin adsorption.

I suspect other adjuvants might be better; niacin itself (nicotinic acid) is said to cause skin flushing [two links from that page in support; it’s not clear.] Nicotinamide is said not to cause that, but something in Fiasp irritates the skin - widely reported here!

My own experiences with Fiasp have caused me to start to question whether subcutaneous injection of insulin with a pump is a good idea. A pump could handle IM or IV for that matter; I suspect that would be better than applying Amazonian skin treatments to accelerate insulin adsorption.

2 Likes