Fiasp MDI

I really think the difference is much more pronounced in a pump. At least for me, Novolog is so much slower when pumping vs. injecting it. Pre-bolusing is way more important, and certain foods I just can’t eat without significant spikes. I don’t see as much difference between the 2 insulins of MDI, but maybe that’s just me.

I wonder if the slow delivery over 30 seconds on the t:slim really helps out with the irritation issues (that then lead to absorption issues) that some people have when using Fiasp in pumps. I’d bet that it is far less irritating being delivered over 30 seconds than over only a few seconds like most pumps and MDI would do.

2 Likes

BTW - I believe that Novo Nordisk completed trails both with Pediatrics and Pumps. They should be publishing the results soon and would likely then be submitting to the FDA for a label change.

2 Likes

Ok maybe it is magic but it is not miraculous.

For me it is faster than humalog and does not cause site issues.

I also find because it is faster, it is just easier to use I do not get into that problem of giving too many rage boluses while waiting for a high blood sugar to drop.

Everything is relative.

1 Like

Exactly - I find time goes very quickly when I am traveling at the speed of light.

Bolusing a bowl of cheerios at the same time as starting to actually eat and not going over 160.
Forgetting to bolus for mashed potatoes until 20 minutes afterwards and stopping the rise at 220 and immediately going back down.

I never saw anything like that before.

1 Like

Marsupial decided to poke its head back out.

2 Likes

@Thomas. NOW you’re back! Thank goodness.

2 Likes

Yeah the “T” was just weird looking.

This is what I find so amazing about Fiasp. I can actually see it on my CGM stopping a high in its tracks (goes from trending upwards to levelling off). And if I’m not that high, it’ll turn around and start heading down within what seems like minutes. I know Fiasp isn’t even supported to work in minutes, but I see it on my CGM again and again. I also see a very definite levelling off (or at least greatly reducing in power) at three hours.

Glad our favorite marsupial is back in town!

2 Likes

Exactly. It just doesn’t seem possible to be this fast especially when considering we always think of the cgm as being 15 minutes behind.

So far we have bumped our insulin duration down from 4-1/2 hrs to 3 hrs but it might need to go a bit lower still perhaps to 2-1/2 hrs.

@Jen - What do you have your duration set to?

Mine is 3.0 hours. It used to be 4.0 and 4.5 hours when I used Apidra.

1 Like

That’s quite a difference… what did you have it set for with novolog/Humalog?

I’ve never used NovoRapid. It was 4.0-4.5 hours for Apidra and 4.5 for Humalog.

Hi everyone, I need some help with Fiasp and you seem to be my peeps. I’ve been using Fiasp (+ Tresiba) for several months and love it, but have one big issue - overnight highs! Almost every night I rise to 200 or higher (almost 400 the other night) when I eat within like 3-4 hours of bed. The higher fat/protein load, the worse. I don’t know what to do other than take some Novolin R, which I’ve bought twice now and have no idea how much to take. After my meals my CGM line is nice and flat, but by 1-2am I’m high and wake up to take more Fiasp. Any thoughts? How else could I do this? TIA

You have to learn to use R. This is what I hate about Fiasp, it peaks earlier and is useless for when any protein/fat-caused delayed digestion happens. Even with NovoRapid I have this problem though, and use R combined with increasing my nighttime Levemir dose (which unfortunately you can’t do with Tresiba). Do you find it that much faster on MDI than NovoRapid (Novolog) though? I found it way faster in a pump, but not much difference on MDI and since I hate the shorter tail just went back to NovoRapid. R is fantastic, I find it very consistent and gentle in small doses.

I’d love it if you’d start a thread specifically on using R for MDI… I think your patterns sound a lot like mine and I’d love to pick your brain more and learn from your experience with it

1 Like

Yes, this is why many people on very low-carb diets love R. It’s horrible (far too slow) for covering carbs, but for fat/protein it matches their absorption perfectly.