Favorite sweet treat for treating a low?

Whoever thought of the the tag name “fun size”!!??

4 Likes

@bostrav59 I will save them for you!

3 Likes

That is a great question for AI - here’s what my AI came back with - an interesting story which I will copy and paste below. It’s AI, so who knows if it’s right…

But before I go there, I noticed that there were candy bars from different manufacturers in @Eric pix and wondered whether anyone had copyrighted the term “fun size”. Turns out Mars was able to copyright the term “fun”! Nothing like capitalism.

Here’s the AI:

The term “fun size” originated with Mars, Inc., the company behind M&Ms, Snickers, and Twix, in 1968. Mars began releasing smaller versions of their candy bars in 1961, which they called “junior” versions. However, they later replaced these with slightly larger versions, which they called “fun size”. The term “fun size” was used to describe candy bars that were smaller than the traditional size, but larger than the “junior” size.

The term “fun size” became popular around the same time as a shift in American perceptions about health and diet. People were ready for a smaller, less decadent version of their favorite candy.

Other candy makers, such as Curtiss, also began selling miniaturized candy bars labeled with the term “fun size”. Mars sued Curtiss for violating trademark rights, and purchased the trademark to the word “fun” to ensure that no other candy company could use the term without Mars’s permission.

Fun size candy became closely associated with holidays and other celebrations, especially Halloween.

6 Likes

Very interesting! Wow, I don’t remember the tag line being around for that long, copyrighted in 1968!!

These are a favorite for the trick-or-treaters though!!

3 Likes

This was fun to read about. It reminds me of the cereal maker General Mills, who tried to trademark the yellow color used on its Cheerios box. It was denied in 2017.

2 Likes

Its fun to eat 10! All those wrappers!
Its Halloween candy season so I stock up on 100 Grand, Twix and Nestle Crunch.

4 Likes

This has been my new favorite treat for lows. All the fruity ones. I’ve learned the hard way that they melt really quickly. Sticky pockets! Has anyone tried the hot cinnamon ones yet?

2 Likes

Just remembered that I forgot to mention the OGs of sweet treats for me - salt water taffy.

There’s a place in Utah called Taffy Town that makes a huge variety of really tasty SWT.

Also for those in Massachusetts there’s always Cabot’s SWT from Provincetown. Favorite Candies | Salt Water Taffy, Classic Candy | Cabot's – Cabot's Candy

I was in Provincetown at the end of August and got some of that Cabot’s stuff - no matter the temperature, the taffy sticks to the wax paper. What’s up with that?

6 Likes

I always think that things like that take too long to eat!

It’s like I am burning off more calories chewing it than what I am getting! :joy:

4 Likes

Three recent favorites: 1) candy corn… It’s getting close to Halloween!

1. gummy peachy O’s.

2. candy fruit slices…
    dd9b94f0-ff60-4635-be2f-1fc7f5cebb60.6fa30b60880062e8fe353298de48ace9-1691372496

I think the candy corn acts faster than the others, but haven’t tested scientifically

7 Likes

Me too. You can almost feel that sugar raising your glucose levels.

5 Likes

@mike_g My wife and I made Candy Corn last week (it wasn’t for us, for the wife’s annual “Girls Treats Lunch” with friend’s from work); she also made scones! The corn recipe is pretty simple corn syrup, sugar, powdered sugar, a touch of vanilla, and coloring. After mixing, cut the stuff into 3 hunks, add colors, roll into ropes, let cool slightly, squish three ropes together, flatten slightly, and cut into triangle shapes. Temperature is the key, to warm and they melt together, too cool and you can’t cut them.

5 Likes

I’ll withhold judgment…lol. Just joking. Similar to black licorice, love it or hate it.

4 Likes

Doesn’t candy corn count as a vegetable?

Yep! There it is on the food pyramid!

6 Likes

I had that experience when seriously crashing in a London restaurant that was so posh they didn’t have soda and they didn’t have orange juice (waiter visibly recoiling), but they did bring me an inch of berry syrup they used for mixed tonics (in a cut crystal glass, naturally). Instant revival, like IV glucose. Same as when I did have IV glucose after a coma as a kid.

Credit to the restaurant, the waiter did return to say Chef could squeeze some oranges for me, but by then I was probably 300.

8 Likes

Nice story - glad it worked out okay that time.

It’s not uncommon for me to be borderline low before a restaurant meal - and it’s always a dilemma - since I know that rich food is coming but I don’t know when or how much. Sometimes I look for something beforehand, sometimes I just hold on. In the old days, when restaurants brought bread to the table right after you sat down, that was a good solution. Nowadays the bread happens less and less.

7 Likes