Fasting before Surgery: What have you been told?

Hang tough.
Positive Mental Attitude (PMA)

Sounds like you have PMA !!!

2 Likes

Hate to say that I am just hard headed, but am really tired of fighting.

4 Likes

@T1john My thoughts and prayers are with you! I’m sending lots of positive energy your way. Wow, what an experience!

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb @Tapestry @Thomas Thank you.

1 Like

I am not sure if I am correct but I always thought the one and only reason for fasting, ie non solid foods, before surgery is the potential mess of vomiting. And of course with being intubated during anesthesia the possibility of choking with vomiting.

The fasting is annoying but doable. I actually do check my pump basal line occasionally with waking up with a good result, no residual food in my stomach that could release glucose into my bloodstream and see how the bgm develops over that period of fasting. With no food or bolus shots, your line should be as level as can be with very little deviation.
The more annoying is the clearance from your endo.
The scary is the conversation with the surgeon and mostly the anesthesiologist, medical professionals who will need to be educated by you about your condition.

I had 2 surgeries some time back, before pump and dexcom, both requiring one-or two night stays for recovery and the biggest issue was that I was not allowed to administer my insulin by myself. This was to be done by the nurses on duty. This was the biggest nightmare of the surgeries, and one of it was a brain surgery.

I just cheated my way through, made sure that I was fully aware of what the nurse was doing and double checked results and corrected as needed. And it was needed.

4 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful comment, @John! It really got me thinking about a couple things.

I actually do have an esophageal condition that might be worth mentioning to the anesthesiologist. I can’t be sure everything will be cleared by surgery time, and have never had a reason to be concerned of that.

Like you were sitting in on today’s appointment… :thinking:

Almost every surgery I’ve ever had, and there are a pretty healthy number—brain included, have been done since my diabetes diagnosis. I don’t think I had a pump for the brain surgery… so that makes me feel a little better about the way I handled it. :grin: Which was not well, by the way. I have had a pump for the remainder of them, but I can’t say I handled them much better. This is the first time I’ve been a responsible diabetic heading in for one, and I’m more nervous than ever. :rofl::rofl:
Ahhh… ignorance:hugs:

Anyway, thank you for your response. I definitely think I’ll push back on staying over night. And they don’t know it, but they’ll be better off, too. :grin:

Oh! And just a random update, they did confirm that their protocol is to test once before the procedure, treat accordingly, sedate the patient, and test again on the other side. I actually had one anesthesiologist explain that they “treat any blood sugar issues during the procedure” that may arise. When I asked how they would know if they didn’t test during, he just answered with “would you like to be tested during?”

Yes, why yes, I would. Thought you’d never ask.

But is that not mind blowing? They said that’s the same protocol for all diabetics—even during long procedures.

3 Likes

Uh, yes. You summed up my response perfectly as I was reading in horror.

Wow. Why would they not want to know?!? (I also just thought “Do you even diabetes, bro?”)

I do think that you made an impression and that they’ll be testing you and all will be well.

And @John’s sneaky insulin story made me giggle. Contraband drugs! I wonder if the nurses just thought to themselves “Man, am I ever good at this! Look at that control!” as the fed you pancakes and diet syrup and injected minuscule amounts of insulin.

1 Like

“the same protocol for all diabetics” is about as mind blowing as it comes. I am sure that “legal” wrote most of it to have it covered while thinking that all diabetics are diabetics because they ate too much sugar as kids and have no self discipline.
My wife and I actually do have a running joke for all medical visits and consultations. Mark the bodypart in question with a marker and make very clear what organ, bodypart, and even tooth you are talking about. Yes, dentists as well! “we are working on molar 17, that is the second to last on the upper right.” You might have to stick your fingers in your mouth and point at them, it is so hard to write on them with marker.
And I truly believe in empowering people with making them feel good about themselves and soft-handed educate them at the same time. Nurses are your flight attendant, they can make your stay/flight horrible or pleasant.

1 Like

Having myself done several fasts including a 5-day fast (water and tea only)… if you learn how fasting affects you ahead of time things should be a lot less stressful!

By the way I love the effect fasting has on my mood and body and the straight-line sugars. The only work I need to do is adjusting basals as they decline from day to day.

2 Likes

@Nickyghaleb, please let us know how your surgery goes. I am confident that all will be fine. If you can run - then I am confident that you’ll figure out the fasting. You’re a pro! :sunflower:

3 Likes

Thank you, @Carol. I really appreciate that. :blush:

1 Like

If I am conscious, I am the only one putting insulin into me. My endo orders in the hospital have always been that “patient will manage diabetes on his own when out of recovery,” If the orders had stated different, there would have been a fight to the death!

3 Likes

@Nickyghaleb, I hope you don’t mind my asking how everything went? Asking because I/we care. :sunflower:

2 Likes

This would be funny if…it wasn’t horrifying! Gah!

1 Like

@Carol, you are very kind to ask! I’m happy to report that at this moment, I’m back to feeling like I’m gonna get all of me back and will be out running around and irritating people considerably in no time flat. And running. :hugs:

I had a laparoscopic adhesion lysis done on my bladder and uterus (sorry, gentlemen), but it’s not the first time I’ve had it done. I’m just older… as are my bladder and uterus. So it made for a tough few days… and now I’m here doing TMI like the best of them. :grin:

An unsolicited warning to the ladies out there, first surgeon saw the adhesions and said, “we’ll just take your uterus, tube, and egg while we’re in there.” The second surgeon, when asked to leave alone what didn’t need to be disturbed, said at the end, “I didn’t take anything out, and I didn’t leave anything in—“. He said there was absolutely no reason my uterus needed to be removed.

I liked the sound of that and was very happy to have gone for the second opinion. Then my mind was free to wonder what that “I didn’t leave anything in” part meant… :thinking:

4 Likes

He could have meant that he didn’t leave any adhesions in?

It sounds like you’re on the mend! I’m so glad to hear that!!

2 Likes

I love a clear thinker with an easy explanation. Thank you. :heart:

I’m on the mend. In lots of ways. Getting ready to start thinking about thinking about getting ready to do something. And no one around here is safe. :dancer:t2:

3 Likes

So glad it went well! Thanks for posting this…I’m scheduled for an EGD Thursday, which will be my first anything since diabetes entered the picture (outside of having a baby :laughing: ), and I’m still not sure how they’re going to handle monitoring my BG…if they are at all. Thankfully it’s a short procedure (doc said 10 minutes), and I only have to truly fast - nothing by mouth - 3 hours beforehand, so I’m kind of just hoping for the best; that nothing happens in that short time span. :laughing: I will be asking whoever’s in charge of anesthesia about it beforehand. All I got in my instructions was “just don’t take your morning dose of diabetes medication.” Which would be helpful if that was the only IOB I had to worry about…

1 Like

Surgical tools.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

That’s more along the lines of what I was thinking… I was thinking some kind of gag gift or like a skittle or something.

2 Likes