Expired Dexcom sensors work fine!

Hi melenellen77!
Welcome to FUD!

Yep, you are in the right thread. The very first post was about just such a test that you were asking about. I used one that was 10 months past expiration. It seemed fine.

That’s the oldest I have been able to get my hands on. At some point I can try to stash one for a few years and try it, but so far 10 months past expiration is the oldest I’ve done.

I’s say go ahead and try it. You should know within a few days if it’s behaving or is wonky and needs to be removed and thrown out.

A lot of the expiration dates for things are not really true. I’ve used insulin that was crazy old, and it was fine. I’ve used expired glucagon shots and they worked fine. I even did an accidental test of a drink that was well past expiration (figuring-out-the-consumed-volume-of-an-oddly-shaped-container).

Even water bottles have expiration dates on them. It’s just a requirement, it doesn’t mean it has gone bad.

Eventually Dexcom sensors may go bad, but if I were you I’d give it a try. Just be extra careful with BG tests for the first few days.

Would love to hear what you find out!

6 Likes