Expired Afrezza box: 8 months past and still good

A couple of weeks ago, we were wondering in some PMs about how long expired boxes are good for.

Stephen Parsons (@dtroue1003 on twitter) just checked this out. He tested a box expired in Sep 2016 (we are in May 2017): it still works great, and the box is past expiration by 8 months.

3 Likes

The afrezza I’m currently using expired in 9/16. No complaints.

3 Likes

I’ve used well past expiration (6 mos) and have had zero issues.

1 Like

I’m curious if anyone has seen a degradation in Afrezza efficacy when an opened blister pack is kept at room temperature for an extended period of time? If yes, after what period of time opened & unrefrigerated?

I’ve thought possibly have seen weakened results from using packs that had been opened for an extended length of time, but it’s hard to say with certainty… like any other dose of insulin if you don’t get the action you want sometimes you just have to take more, so it’s hard to say if I’ve just needed more or if there was a reduced effect. I do tend to bear in mind how long a blister pack has been opened more so than how long it’s been unrefrigerated.

1 Like

Thanks Sam, that’s pretty much what I’ve wondered too.

I’ve had a pack of 8 unit cartridges open for several weeks that, in all likelihood, I won’t use anytime soon. I may have to plan my own experiment for this!