Exercise / Tubed Insulin Pumps

Wondering if any of you regularly unclip your pump for activity, and if so, for how long? I’m constantly going low at the gym these days, despite putting on the exercise mode, which if I know I put on an hour pre activity, but I don’t always know. I also find it annoying and in the way, then I feel like it’s covered with gym germs when I get home (I’m a total germaphobe). ANYHOW, thinking I could solve a bunch of issues by unclipping, then driving to the gym (approx. 20 mins) doing 1.5HRS activity (approx.) driving home (approx. 20 mins), then jumping in the shower (approx. 10 mins) and reclipping. That would be 2HRs 20 mins max of unplug time. Whattaya think? If I try this out, I’ll bring both glucose + pens just in case I get stuck or whatever, but seems like it should work in theory, no? I mean, swimmers and what not with tubed pumps probably do something similar?

3 Likes

I often unclip when I’m riding my bike. My endo isn’t too happy with this and has encouraged me to stay plugged in, but I’ve never found it to be a problem to unplug the pump when I’m exercising. Like you, I often forget to put on exercise mode, and occasionally will go low if I still am wearing the pump and am doing strenuous exercise. In any event, you have a cgm that will monitor your blood sugar levels.

3 Likes

I think there are a few different topics to discuss. And we can get into all the different parts of exercise.

And I certainly defer the vagaries of tubed pumps to the many others here who know them better than I do. I have never used one.

But I do know that if you disconnect and drive to the gym, you are stuck at 0%. No matter what you do, you can’t be 10% or 50% or anything else.

You can’t change your mind, you can’t bolus, and if there is a traffic jam, you are screwed and have to stay at 0% until you get home.

So that doesn’t sound like a plan that gives you much room to adjust.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t you disconnect and keep it with you in your gym bag or something like that? You can have it with you even though it is disconnected.

1 Like

I’d bring back up glucose and pens, for those just in case situations.

3 Likes

Yes, I just wasn’t sure from the original post. Because she mentioned disconnecting, then driving, then gym, then driving home, then shower, then reconnecting. So I just pictured her leaving it at home.

Certainly disconnecting and having it in the car makes more sense!

1 Like

I’d actually leave it at home and bring my pen as back up if needed. I live in an area cars get broken into all the time.

3 Likes

Oh, that makes sense, of course.

1 Like

If you are doing a highly aerobic activity where the zero basal insulin is a big plus, then ignore my suggestion. You could always use long acting for 25% of your basal needs, then when you unplug for a few hours, you would still have some background insulin working.

3 Likes

I think I’ll experiment, but today isn’t a good day for experimentation. I stress ate a breakfast sandwich, hash brown, 2 doughnuts and a chocolate bar because I am working on site today vs WFH Ugggg. I’m so weak!!!

2 Likes

Seems stupid. Bring it with you or just suspend delivery. Might want to work on the germaphobe issue as well. If that worried - skip the gym.

1 Like

Since I often go low when I exercise, I keep an eye on my CGM date to know when to eat carbs before I crash.

One option is to stop the insulin delivery.
I used to do this but was annoyed by the constant beeping reminders.

I created a different profile that basically eliminates insulin delivery and change to it when exercising.
I create an alarm on my cell to remind me to reset the profile :slight_smile:
This way the amount of IOB in the pump and my history of glucose levels are correct.
all the best!

2 Likes

Are you still using a Tandem? Is there no option to turn off the beeping when doing a zero basal?

The only way I see to set basal to 0 is in the profile, and this setting will not make the pump beep.
I have not found a way to stop the beeping when the “stop Insulin” option is selected.

1 Like

I’m curious because I’ve never used a Tandem. Is there a temp basal setting on the Tandem?

If you suspend insulin on the OmniPod it will beep. But if you set it for zero basal as a temp basal, it only beeps once (right when you set it), but no more after that.

if you want to set a temp basal you have to disable Control IQ in the T-Slim so you have to remember to turn it on when your activity has ended.
It is another alternative I have not considered.

1 Like

The profile I created does not deliver boluses either. You need this if you start your exercise when you are above your upper limit.

2 Likes

Depending on the temperatures outside, I would not leave your pump in the car due to pump and insulin in it heating to a point of no longer being effective for use. As long as you have a pen with you, and a way to bring your bloodsugar up if low, I see no problems with leaving the pump at home. I would never recommend this without your CGM remaining on and connected to your phone or reader, whichever you use.

1 Like

Yeah, good point.