Emergency sugar for sleepovers (or deep lows in general)

Except that honey has both fructose and glucose. One (glucose) is an immediate source of fuel (because it is unbound). It absorbs as quickly as any other form of glucose.

There is around 50% each of fructose and glucose. So white, yes, fructose must break down a bit more, the glucose molecules are instantly absorbed.

1 Like

Glucose uses SGLT1 and SGLT2 for transport (sodium dependent glucose transporters). It is absorbed in the small intestine and then transported through the wall of the small intestine into the portal vein.

Fructose uses a different transport mechanism, so it does not compete with glucose for absorption and neither slows down the other. Since sugar is a combination of glucose and fructose, it can take advantage of both transport mechanisms. Even if one has been slowed down, the other can still be functioning more efficiently.

In general though, if there is no impact to the transport, glucose is faster than fructose for raising BG.

The one downside to honey is that there are other things in it such as proteins and enzymes that can make it slower than sugar.

4 Likes

Fructose has a much lower glycemic index than glucose. Honey can be made of different percentages of each. So fructose is not a fast sugar (although glucose is), and, as a result, neither is honey.

As a reference, the GI for glucose is typically around 100. The GI for fructose is typically 20-25. The GI for honey is typically 50-65.

Honey is, for most people, quite a bit slower than glucose, in part because it is partially made of fructose. Fructose is a lot slower than glucose.

I am in my phone so it is hard for me to list references. I will try to remember to do so when I can get to a computer in a day or two.

1 Like

We use small jelly tray-type containers. The ones like are often used at restaurants and dinners. We buy them at Costcoā€™s or Samā€™s (I forget which). I believe each one has about 5 carbs. The box says, but havenā€™t had the box for some time, so check. They are great because they donā€™t melt or squish like some other sweets, and they donā€™t need refrigeration.

1 Like

Me, too to the Guā€™s! Small and great source of fast carbs!

For me, if Iā€™m unconscous, itā€™s whatever the paramedics give me.

2 Likes

I used my homemade liquid glucose shots the other day and it worked really well.

I bought a bag of Now Dextrose off Amazon for $22 (this is somewhat risky for people with allergies or celiac since cross-contamination is a risk, but itā€™s corn-derived dextrose and I havenā€™t had any reaction to it so far). A serving is eight grams of carbohydrates, so I put two servings (five teaspoons) into a used Dex4 glucose shot container. I added a squirt of water flavouring and water and shook it all up. Kept it in my backpack to use for more serious lows.

The other day I dropped to 2.4 mmol/L (43 mg/dl) after having already treated a descending blood sugar with two glucose tablets (eight grams of carbohydrates) about half an hour earlier. So I decided to test out the homemade glucose shot.

It tasted horrid, but it did raise my blood sugar very quickly. You can see the little hump where I originally treated the low and then the rapid rise when I drank the glucose shot. It may be a little too many carbohydrates (itā€™s about 14 grams per shot), but since Iā€™m only planning to use them for fairly severe lows, thatā€™s OK with me.

low

I re-used the same container again, plus another empty one that I found, to make two more shots. This time I skipped the squirt of flavouring and just used plain water. Hopefully that will taste better and less chemical-y when Iā€™m low.

All in all, these shots cost me about 40 cents each. Far cheaper than the $3.00 each for the pre-made glucose shots.

3 Likes

The dextrose I bought was $22 for two pounds.

I see on Amazon that they also have two kilograms (about four pounds) for $16, or five pounds for $19. So you could make these shots for significantly cheaper than 40 cents each if you didnā€™t care about the source the dextrose was derived from or cross-contamination issues.

2 Likes

Do you think it MUST be made beforehand and allowed to sit around? Or could I, for instance, make the dry mix and then add water during one of Ericā€™s lows?

1 Like

You could totally mix it up during a low. The dextrose dissolves really fast. I just live alone so I know thereā€™s no way Iā€™d want to go and measure something while super low.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing! I was totally thinking of you while we were on our backpacking trip, and wishing that I had picked up some of those dextrose shots. I just thought I might be able to keep one in the glove box, one in the backpack, and a bunch more already made up in some sort of reusable bottle in different places. If they were full I was worried theyā€™d spoil in the car.

1 Like

Itā€™s just dextrose and water, so Iā€™m pretty sure it wouldnā€™t go bad. But maybe you could use boiled or filtered water if you want to make sure thereā€™s nothing questionable in it (I just used tap water, but we have really high-quality tap water here).

2 Likes

Couldnā€™t you just have some soda?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good point. Itā€™s relatively easy to find, soda.

But soda has both caffeine and is heavy. And we have had a couple of times where it wasnā€™t easy to find (once they ripped out all the machines in a Marriott hotel and Eric wandered around in his PJs from floor to floor and wound up ordering one from room service. :frowning: )

1 Like

Many are caffeine free.
Root Beer or Ginger Ale are commonly available in most places.
Another benefit. Soda in a can is super cheap with an almost infinite shelf life.

2 Likes

One thing I learned in hotel staysā€¦get the sugar thingy and put in it your room before you need it.

Kim - really, really, really, I know this to be true. 3 am and a BG of 40 is not the time to be looking for sugar.

2 Likes

lol, Iā€™m in a hotel room right nowā€¦ grabbed the starlight mints out of the bowl in the lobby. Lots of practice.

3 Likes

Lol! Yes! That incident was a long time ago, and Iā€™m pretty sure that it scared me enough to be a total food hoarder. I now send bags of snacks in the suitcase ā€“ and @Eric has seen my giant purse full of sugary snacks! Poor man probably thought I was trying to poison him the first time we met. :slight_smile:

You are right though, 3 AM is a sucky time to be looking for something to fix your blood sugar with.

@Sam your starlight mints made me laugh! I wonder how many diabetics drain candy bowls in hotel lobbies on a regular basis ā€“ we totally are guilty of that.

Do you guys find yourselves cleaning out your pockets or backpacks or purses and finding pounds of old candy? We do! At least if there was zombie apocalypse I know weā€™d have enough hard candy to last a year.

3 Likes

My wife usually stashes some candy bars in my suitcase when I am packing.

Yes, I always find the ancient Cliff bar that was stashed in the winter coats from the previous season.

For home, we use these Minute Maid bottles because you can just drink what you need and close them back for another time.

2 Likes

I was getting these tiny Juicy Juice boxes for home (from the dollar store) but the straws all fell off. Which isnā€™t something one can deal with when low. So we started buying bottles of juice that are resealable. I did maybe buy a jalapeƱo lemonade the other day, but EH didnā€™t think it was very funny for some reason. :hot_pepper::laughing: Those Minute Maid ones look good too! Smaller but also resealable.

Recently I got three of these measuring cups too:
Anchor Hocking 77832 Triple Pour Measuring Cup, Glass, 8-Ounce Amazon.com

EH likes them because theyā€™re easy to read and the measurements are in ounces, milliliters, and cups and because you can drink right out of them. (Yes, @Eric I know youā€™ve mastered mouth measurements like an amazing badass but EH isnā€™t there yet! Lol! :wink:)

Iā€™ve hijacked this thread.

3 Likes