Eclipse

Made it to a 100% eclipse area. No clouds. Watching now!

6 Likes

Cloudy in a partial area. But we have a big a$$ bonfire going in case NASA is wrong and it goes all dark.

ha ha ha

2 Likes

About an hour here before we get max, but not totality.

1 Like

I’m in Ketchikan Alaska where it’s expected to set ranfall records today

2 Likes

Not watching it live. Have read too many articles about permanent eye damage (especially for kids who don’t understand how severely the sun can damage the eyes for the rest of their lives.) Watching every one of them on the Science Channel, though. :slight_smile: We will go outside when the 80% eclipse passes over VA, but won’t look up.

2 Likes

I’m in Vancouver, BC. I noticed the lighting in my apartment dimmed so that it looked sort of like dusk or a really cloudy day (the sky was clear). Went outside and took some pictures with my iPhone, keeping my back/side to the sun (no glasses). It was sort of disappointing — definitely didn’t look like the sun was 85% blocked, though it did look a bit dimmer than usual. I gather those with eclipse glasses saw much more detail. Hopefully I didn’t damage my phone camera or my eyes doing that!

2 Likes

CNN Live Coverage of the FULL eclipse as it travels.

For sure. It actually is really cool. Although Eric has the prime viewing. He will get to see the real show. Maybe in 2024 I will travel to one of the total areas. Give me something to plan for.

We had poor viewing predicted but the forecast was obviously off and we are mostly getting a good (partial) show.

1 Like

I setup a telescope with a filter. Hope to see Baily’s Beads in a little while.

5 Likes

Photos please. All I’ve able to see is the inside of someone’s mouth :pensive:.

But my wife sent me some awesome photos!

2 Likes

Didn’t see it. Sigh. I spent weeks writing news articles about it and then it was foggy when I finally got a chance to step outside. Oh well. I’ll just watch it on YouTube :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We dashed into Whiskey Hill Oregon (normally a 20 minute drive, took us 50 minutes), sat in a school yard with 100 other people, and watched the totality. Really cool. For the kids some people had a good idea, they taped the eclipse glasses to a paper plate, with a hole cut out for the mouth and then rubber-banded it to the kids so they could only see through the eclipse glasses.

Only bummer was someone was blasting total eclipse of the heart, while we countered with Black Hole Sun, and Bark at the Moon.

1 Like

Mouth, Eclipse - basically the same thing. It is all about perspective.

4 Likes

Someone near us had the sense to play Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. So I had no complaints.

4 Likes

Didn’t see much here with a homemade eclipse box (too cheap/lazy to buy glasses), but ran to Costco for some groceries, and a couple employees were standing outside with the glasses letting folks look through them - pretty neat!

3 Likes

I stared right at the sun with a pair of binoculars for over an hour and didn’t see a damn thing.

9 Likes

All of yall are bragging about being in your “100% coverage”. Well I’ll have you know that I have you all beat. I’m in 101% coverage.
I’m on the moon.

6 Likes

Back when we were little, we read on the internet about these horrible other kids whose parents had gotten them a big 14" magnifying glass and they turned it into a Death Ray to be used indiscriminately against lower life forms. I won’t even mention what these cretins figured out could be done through the windshield of a car with the Death Ray.

2 Likes

I live in the path of totality, just on the edge, Our time of totality was a mere 55 second but it was amazing. My son traveled to an area in the direct center path, said the crickets started chirping.

4 Likes

I can’t even express how amazing it was to see it. Put it on your bucket list if you are able.

Here we are in the middle of the day. The young lady behind me is my mom. And the tiny little kid in the back is my son. :smile:

I am going to try to see it again in 2024 if I can.

Maybe we can crash at @docslotnick Doc’s or @daisymae DM’s place. How’s April '24 looking for you guys? :wink:

5 Likes