"Dumb" CGM questions

Ok, I’m sure there will be more. :hugs:

1. Do you cover your sensor with clothing when you sleep? I’m somewhat nervous about pulling it off while sleeping, so I always wear a 3/4 or long sleeve T because I wear my sensor on the back of my upper arm.
  2. How do you dry off the adhesive area after showering?
    Thanks
5 Likes

My particle dynamics professor once said, “There is no such thing as stupid question. Just stupid answer!”

I don’t cover it. You can if you want, but maybe it is only necessary on the later days?

Have you tried the free Dex tape patch things? I can find the post if you want. They are free from Dexcom. Maybe on the last few days a tape patch would be good.

I just lightly towel dry and then let it air-dry the rest of the way. Too much with a towel can pull it off.

7 Likes

Our son does nothing special to his while he sleeps. Note that if it is obstructed (covered up such as lying on it) it will lose connection. But you don’t want to ever remove it until the minimum wear period has been used up (7 days usually at a minimum)

Referenced drying off the adhesive we use overpatch over of our cgm sensors and they don’t peel off after showers. Just dry off and pat the area dry.

Update:. The tape @Eric referenced is what we use. It’s called Dexcom overpatch. It’s free… All you do is call and request it. It’s great for us.

6 Likes

Found it!

4 Likes

And did we mention… IT’S FREE!!!

:smiley:

5 Likes

@Eric
@ClaudnDaye
Thanks for your input. I’m using the “SkinGrips” over my sensor. I usually end up putting it on, on day 8 or so. Once I have it on I don’t worry as much about pulling the sensor off.
I’ll have to try the patches from DexCom, after all, they’re free. :laughing:

Do you put the patch on at the beginning of the sensor?

4 Likes

Yes. We used to get two weeks or more out of our sensors but these days we only go 7 days due to the signal loss that always begins for us at day 7.

3 Likes

EH never covers the sensor and sleeps with it hanging out wherever it’s installed and it’s never been an issue. He’s torn it off twice - once on a doorframe and once (after trying it on his leg for the one and only time) while pulling off his jeans – it got hooked on the waistband and tore off. Hurt both times and pissed him off. Sleeping is much safer!

5 Likes

I have never torn off a sensor and usually do not cover it sleeping unless it is really cold.

I just towel dry after a shower and then clean the area with alcohol and apply the sensor once the alcohol evaporates.

5 Likes

I’ve found far better sensor adhesion (And less skin reaction) by putting down tegaderm and putting the cgm right on top of it… shooting it right through.

If I put the sensor directly on my skin it starts peeling off in about 3 days and then the taping begins until I look like a mummy…

A little tegaderm keeps it on tight for like 1.5 weeks then requires far less tape to keep it going after that… I’ve really become a believer in this method

4 Likes

Not dumb questions at all!

I don’t cover mine while sleeping and haven’t pulled it out while sleeping. I’m more scared of pulling out a sensor when putting clothes on or taking them off. Lots of great adhesive suggestions above. I use sim patches that I get on amazon, and I’ll put one on around day 8, depending on if the sensors sticking ok or not. The sim patch will typically work pretty great until I get a sensor failure around day 18-25. If the sim patch starts pealing along the edges then I’ll just cut the edge off with some scissors.

3 Likes

No. The same applies to the Omnipod. I have had wardrobe malfunctions with both so I avoid clothing if possible. After a wardrobe malfunction I use the sticky patches with the cutout for the Dexcom (I got a whole load of Amazon and use them so rarely I’m still on my first pack). For the Omnipod I use the large (6x4?) 3M (“Nexcare”) tegaderm patches. I use those more often but they are pretty cheap in boxes of 50.

I don’t, it dries just fine on its own. I do typically use a towel after a shower or tub to remove excess water then let myself air dry. I’ve never had a problem with this wrt the eMolluscs. In the pool or the sea a straight air-dry works, though that tends to leave a lot of salt on the skin if you don’t take one of the beach/boat showers. I’ve had a couple of problems peeling wetsuits off but much to my surprise it’s fine with just a little care, even with an 8mm semi-dry wetsuit.

3 Likes

So, I’m confused. Some mentioned using sensors longer than 7 days. Mine expire, automatically at 7 days…what’s up?

2 Likes

People have found ways to restart an old sensor so the system thinks that you have changed to a new one. It is becoming more difficult to do as the FDA requires Dexcom to take technical measures to try to prevent it, because of concerns that an old sensor will eventually become dangerously inaccurate.

Here are a couple articles, but you may wish to search for “restart g6 sensor” on this site or on the entire internet to learn more.

4 Likes

Based on this, you are using Dexcom G4 or G5. They are much easier to restart. The more recent G6 has different versions of transmitters, with increased checking for reuse, so there are multiple sets of G6 instructions based on transmitter version.

The link for See My CGM is mostly about G6.

For G4/G5, you can wait for sensor to end, then simply do start sensor without putting in a new sensor. You have to wait the 2 hour warm up again, but then readings will start again.

Or you can stop sensor, then just do start without changing sensor (G4/G5 only). This lets you pick convenient time for 2 hours without readings.

5 Likes

"For G4/G5, you can wait for sensor to end, then simply do start sensor without putting in a new sensor. You have to wait the 2 hour warm up again, but then readings will start again.

Or you can stop sensor, then just do start without changing sensor (G4/G5 only). This lets you pick convenient time for 2 hours without readings."

I have a G4 and this is what I do. Works well for me. :sunflower:

5 Likes