Does DST affect your BG levels?

Over here in Europe, daylight savings time ends tonight, of course accompanied by the biannual ritual debate about abolishing DST. Much of the news focuses on the alleged negative effects of DST. I’ve never paid attention to the effects of adjusting the clock on my BG levels, but I was wondering: do you guys notice any effect?

1 Like

@Boerenkool I have issues with every time change, even when I travel. I tend to have several days of serious hypos, even when I Prepare for and attempt to prevent them. The sleep/food changes affect me significantly.

1 Like

Whenever I travel I always stay on CST -6 ( my time zone). If I don’t there is hell to pay with my Bg.

1 Like

@docslotnick the more I read your posts, the more similarities I see in our D - IR and time changes notwithstanding.

1 Like

@elver I come from a long line of T2’s, but I think I got T1 from my maternal grandfather’s genes (same circumstances, but he died a few years after diagnosis due to insulin had not yet been discovered).

For me control has been fairly easy and 48 years have not produced any complications. It’s just a PIA sometimes. Once I got accustomed to it’s idiosyncrasies it was manageable. I’ve always thought my case was milder than most. All of the problems I have encountered revolve around hypoglycemia.

1 Like

For me hypos are a problem. T2 and the odd T1 on maternal side, T1 on Paternal side. I have characteristics of both, I have antibodies but not in copious amounts. Neuropathy and IR are my major issues, with hypos less common now that I am on a pump/cgm. Everyday is the best day!

4 Likes

@Boerenkool, we have never noticed any effect. We paid careful attention to it after your thread, but we can’t see a difference.

1 Like