DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

@eric or @T1Allison? BTW, either would be awesome!

3 Likes

Yes, I know that feeling. :grimacing: I’m the same way when I’m so high. So glad you could finish the run though, not easy, and BGs finally coming down!

Yay, you got your coach. Eric?? Looks like some tough intervals, too!:star_struck:

1 Like

I’m late. But today, like yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that… was very busy. And tomorrow’s looking very busy. But I didn’t come to complain.

Yesterday I had an easy run, and my BGs looked great. Felt like coasting.

Indoor easy 35-40 min @ 6.4
(Approx 4.3 mi)
ZB for an hour maybe?
No coffee or nuthin
Nice even starting BG

Starting BG: 105
Mi 1: 109
Mi 2: 101
Mi 3: 103
Mi 3.75: —
*resume basal
Mi 4: 101
Mi 4.3: done and walk 3/4
Mi 5: 105

Going to bed. :roll_eyes:

@Trying and @elver, I got my coach back. :hugs:
All I had to do was leave a few posts about doing coffee shots mid-run and a couple of posts with BGs in the 200-300s, and a new schedule appeared in my email. :grin:

And not a minute too soon. That’s for real.

6 Likes

Whoa, I’m so glad!! Nothing like a bit of pressure! No wonder those repeats are so tough!!

2 Likes

Yeah, I was pretending like I was hard and really pushing myself… but there was no way I was going to give myself all that. :smiley:

1 Like

Today:
1.25 warm up
8 sets .25 mi @ 8.3/1:30 recovery
1.25 cool down

No time for pre-run details. I’ll just say it was handled.

Starting BG 101
Mi 1: 84
*Huma
Mi 2: 69
Mi 3: 72
Mi 4: 91
Mi 5: 97 (finished at just under 4.5 miles but still cooled down until 5.8)
*Resumed basal
Mi 6: 72

Felt great. Had fun. RPE was about 6.5-7.

Now back to my very sad TO DO list. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yesterday… I think I learned my lesson why an IM shot is not an idea shot before a run… and that is because it’s only really out in 2 hours if it ever hit muscle. With yesterday’s disaster numbers, I think I loaded myself up with a 4 unit sub-q shot and hit the road. Lesson learned. Maybe.

The run assignment: 30 min @ 9.23/mi
-ZB one hour
-Cookies and chips about 45 min before leaving :grimacing: And don’t want to talk about it.
-Went from an even 70 to a starting Bg of 91 (which I figured was a rise from my pre-run failure to act right)
—ALL of the above was evidence my blood sugar shoulda been stable and probably rising during the run.

But surprise…
Starting Bg: 91
Mi 1: 83
Mi 2: 70
*Huma
Mi 3: 46 and feeling fine :roll_eyes:
Mi 3.5: 40 and finished
Walking home
Mi 4.65 51

3.5 miles and a stomach ache.

3 Likes

Today:

Running assignment 8 miles @ 9:23/mi.
So unbelievably sleepy all day and STILL sleepy at run start. Like falling asleep. Hate that.

30 minutes ZB
Stable ~100
Banana at start

Starting BG- 106
Mi 1: 88
Mi 2: 76
*Huma (with caffeine, baby)
.1 unit bolus
Mi 3: 76
Mi 4: 84
Mi 5 : 103
Mi 6: 112
*Huma (for the caffeine, baby)
.25 unit bolus
Mi 7: 116
Mi 7.25: —
*resume basal
Mi 8: 123
*1 unit bolus
*Walk half mile
Mi 8.75: 141
*Another unit

RPE: 6– once I woke up
It took me a couple of miles to wake up, and I managed to do that by mixing up a few faster paces (just a touch) and tiny inclines. Anything. But it worked. An hour and 14 minutes for 8 miles.

And I feel great now. :hibiscus:

3 Likes

Week 2. :heart:

4 Likes

Monday… crappy numbers but wonderful run.

Wasn’t high all day, but this is just how the late afternoon went…
Starting BG: 235
.75 unit (at start)
Mi 1: 193
Mi 2: 138
*Huma
Mi 3: 115
Mi 4: 83
*Transcend
Mi 5: 75
Mi 5.5 — (done)
*.2 unit
Walk half mile
Mi 6: 72

Enjoyed this. Worked hard, but it never felt hard.

3 Likes

So EH came across this last night, and I told him about your half marathon start with the juggler, and we both were imagining that you should avoid somebody who looks like this as well.

Every time I see this thing I laugh and think of you running next to the guy with the juggling balls. I don’t think that’s very funny, for an actual half marathon, but if I saw some guy running and juggling down the street it would make me laugh. Or running on a treadmill running down the street. Also funny.
Every time I see this thing I laugh and think of you running next to the guy with the juggling balls. I don’t think that’s very funny, for an actual half marathon, but if I saw some guy running and juggling down the street it would make me laugh. Or running on a treadmill running down the street. Also funny.

And, excellent for you for getting back out there on a schedule and working for your next half! Very exciting!

5 Likes

That’s hilarious. :grin:

I just looked it up to see if I could find a picture… and I found a real live joggler. I guess it’s a thing??

And this may have been the guy… see how happy and not working hard he is?? All he needed was to break out into Tony Bennett…

4 Likes

how did you run with a BG over 300? Holy cow, you are courageous!!! why not do a quick shot before taking on the road? seems unlike you.

but congrats on “JUST DOING IT!”

ive been having highs all week, and so i am cutting my ZB time in half before my swim. i am nervous as all hell, but i’m going to go for it and see what happens. i am bring my Gtabs as well as a bottle of Apple Juice to the pool. my prep started out at 90 this morning.

please say some prayers for me. i am keeping my fingers crossed.

4 Likes

I heard you used to run up your numbers the way I did. I hate it now, but a 300 starting BG used to be normal. I’d get a little nervous starting at 4 or 500. :roll_eyes:

And I did have to just do it. Thanks for recognizing that. I am really trying to be more careful with how I’m going throughout my day and am trying to consider the consequences of my choices… and then sometimes I’m relapsing into a more “me” status where I’m messing it all up. And then just doing it rather than waiting for things to be perfect…

I feel better. Thanks. :grin:

And I actually did do some shots— just not one big one. I’m learning how to ease myself back down (when it works) rather than dropping like a brick. I don’t even feel like looking at those numbers now, but I think it wasn’t working as well as I hoped. I’d try to improve on the 300 starting BG decline, but I’d rather knock out the 300 starting BG.

Me, too! Very frustrating. Today I skipped the ZB altogether and cut the basal at the beginning of the run… but still had a banana, I think. :thinking: What’s up with your highs??

You wrote this 9 hours ago… How did it all turn out???

3 Likes

Today was Thursday… and I guess still is… It was 1.25 mile warm up, 1 mile @ 7.5 (treadmill speed), jog 1 minute 30 sec, half mile @ 8, jog 2 min, half mile @ 8, jog 2 min, 1 mile @ 7.5, jog 1:30, 1.25 cool down.

No ZB
Starting bg: 137
Banana at start and stopping basal

Mi 1: 94
Mi 2: 72
*Huma
Mi 3: 85
Mi 4: 97
Mi 5: 112
*Resume
Mi 6: 94

Felt good, ran hard… Forgot that the kids are going to be a factor now that they’re out of school… Cut out the last quarter mile of the cool down to stop them from doing something CNN-worthy.

4 Likes

you caught me; i’m busted! :blush: . when i first started swimming, i didnt know how my D body and insulin actiually worked. my endo told me that i should eat a candy bar without bolusing and wait one hour till my bg got up to 200.

he NEVER told me that there were healthy ways to exercise. then i met ERIC! thank god for him; what a Godsend! Eric taught me how to do all the things that i do today. needless to say that i FIRED the endo and found myself a new one who can think outside the box and is always up on experimenting and knows unequivicably that YDMV. he also comes up with new ideas and suggestions to try out. i LOVE this endo!

so, you’re 100% on the mark; now i wouldnt think of jumping into the pool with such a high BG. it wouldnt feel right physically. ( i am supposing…well, maybe i would, but i am leaning towards doubting it :blush:.)

4 Likes

GREAT NUMBERS!!! you rock!!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

i so totally get this train of thought. its my perfectionism that can make me crazy. also, i have OCD, and from that i am very ritualistic; changing a “formula” totally freaks me out and instead of relaxing and enjoying a swim, i project into thinking of all the things that can go wrong, and the thoughts spin like a loop inside my head until i have swam my first leg of my swim and my numbers are still good and i havent drowned.

PS:i know i have hogged this thread with all of my responces, but i just cant help myself :wink:

3 Likes

@daisymae really, there’s no such thing as hogging a thread! I enjoyed reading your responses, just like I enjoy reading about Nicky’s hard work!

7 Likes