DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

This is a great post! I could have used this strategy yesterday! You nailed it perfectly with the micro boluses.

I agree with you, better to have some iob. On the flip side, if BG goes too high, my legs feel like lead, and I just want to take a nap! :sleeping:

Can’t wait for your next race, AND your next training post!

1 Like

And in stark contrast…

Tons of suspends this morning. I was planning on just taking a walk so I just let them be. The at the last minute, I decided I could use the run. So here’s a similar day to yesterday… just less organized and generally more sucky.

That’s my evidence for lots o’suspends.

Starting bg 134
.15 bolus cuz big suspend earlier
Mi 1: 108
Mi 2: 73
*Huma
Mi 3: 61
*Stinger
Mi 4: 53
Mi 4.5: 54 finish
*Walk half mile
79 once completely off—- 1 unit IM

Thoughts:

Today I had a lot of suspends throughout the morning.

Had a yogurt without bolus about 20 minutes before starting. I was still wobbly so waited a few extra minutes.

Saw a 134 so got going but started with another .15 bolus. This was exactly like yesterday EXCEPT yesterday I was starting at a 166 AND cut my basal at mile 1 AND did a Huma when I saw a 100… today I only did the bolus— no basal cut at first mile and no preemptive Huma to soften the fall… so the fall got ahead of me… and I just felt beat up.

I made two moves today that changed how my run went. I didn’t cut the basal, setting me up for that steady decline in the end (I had to just cut the run short but was otherwise looking forward to running awhile), and I didn’t get those carbs on board once I saw I had dropped from a 134 to a 100. With a bolus on board, I probably should’ve done that to slow it all down.

You live and you learn or you just live and hope you don’t see the the same scenario so it is not completely clear to everyone you haven’t learned ****.

2 Likes

Looks like a big drop initially but fantastic recovery w/ the carbs! I need to follow this example, and your “thoughts” about not cutting the basal when you should have, and not getting the carbs on board soon enough - how many times have I done this same thing :thinking:!! I tend to let myself go for too long before taking action, and yes, appearing not to have learned from these same re-occurring scenarios!! :wink:

3 Likes

In charge of my own workouts now. So… they don’t actually make any sense just yet. And try as I might to do a different distance, it still ended up 5 miles.

Did it indoor because it was Mayday hot out there, and I decided to do some kind of altered speed at least. I’m not going to try to explain why I did what I did. Because I have no idea myself.

Turning off basal at start of run. No ZB, no coffee, no nothing fun.

My workout… designed by me:

Half mile warm up
1 mile @ treadmill speed of 7
1 mile @ 7.3
1 mile @ 7.6
1/4 mile @ 7.3
1/4 mile @ 7.0
1/4 6.8 @ 6.8
3/4 cool down @ 6.2

BGs
Starting BG 101
Mi 1: 79
*Huma
Mi 2 77
Mi 3 83
Mi 4 E 2 AND E 8 (WHY errors???
Mi 5 E 2 (AGAIN errors) :woman_facepalming:
10 minutes after getting off 99

1 Like

This is either a step towards empowerment, or the inmates running the asylum, lol.

Congrats for pursuing this on your own. Many people, myself included, would probably not.

3 Likes

It’s definitely the inmates running the asylum. 100%. But they might pull it off, so there’s always that remote possibility. :grin:

I was actually just thinking about taking the day off. One day in. But since you had to go and put it like that, I’m putting the crackers away and getting some shoes. :fist:

3 Likes

Holy cow! That worked beautifully! Glad you decided to continue.

1 Like

I wrote that before i did the run… and I actually ended up taking the shoes back off again and trading them in for a pillow and blanket. :smiley:

But that’s okay. Naps are important, too. And I did run today… so thank you. :hugs:

2 Likes

Sometimes a nap is harder than exercising… Just saying from personal experience.

1 Like

Got myself up and on the treadmill today. Barely, but I did. I also did my first run since high school in shorts. That’s commitment to the sport. I don’t like to run in shorts and I don’t run in shorts… until today. And it was awesome. So I’m reconsidering my position. (This came as a result of noticing in my half marathon picture that I was not only the only one in pants in that group, but I was also the only one in that group that made it to the medic tent. Could be coincidence. Or having to do with something like fitness level. Or could be the shorts.)

Today:

Indoor 6 mile
Inmate determined workout:

Half mile warm up @ 6.5
One mile @ 7.5
1/4 mile recovery
One mile @ 7.6
1/2 mile recovery
One mile @ 7.5
1/2 mile recovery
1/4 mile @ 8.0
Mile cool down @ 6.0
Cartwheels and key lime pie during recoveries

Stopped basal at start but had a good, stable BG going in. No coffee or anything.

Starting BG: 136
Mi 1: 116
*Huma
Mi : 118
Mi 3: 127
*.15 unit bolus
Mi 4.25: 120
Mi 5.1: 120
Mi 6: 112 (done)

Had fun. Need a fan. RPE was chill.

2 Likes

Napping skills are strong within me.

Maybe now is good. :thinking:

Need to come back with the answer… just bookmarking it for now. Nap time.

E8 - Is a contamination error. Possibly Mom’s PB& J is involved?
My CONTOUR® meter is displaying an 'E8' code, what does this mean?

E2 - Means you didn’t bleed enough for the diabetes gods and they demand further sacrifice(s)
My CONTOUR® meter is displaying an 'E2' code, what does this mean?

2 Likes

Thank you, @elver!! I will have to post this on the back of my hand so when I chuck my meter the next time, I can know why. :smiley:

I also have more to say about the errors since I’ve learned a little, but no time now…

May 31

High all night (200) because of a miscalculation
IV twice this morning but high again otherwise
220+ most of the morning
None of that had to do with the run… just was annoying.

Did half unit IM about an hour before my run.
Waited and watched it drop a little and start to rise again.

starting BG 189
*.2 unit bolus
Mi 1: 209
*.3 unit bolus
Mi 2: 176
Mi 3: 146
Mi 4: 118 (done and walking a mile
Mi 5: 94

Ran at 6.5 speed— just trying to make it look like an Eric-Friday run. Without the good numbers.

2 Likes

June 1
Outdoor 9 mile
Had yogurt before leaving the house (no bolus) and looked like I was rising so did .05 units (yes, .05) at the start

BG before leaving house 136
1/2 mile walk to the start of the path
Starting BG: 154
Mi 1: 144
Mi 2: 138
Mi 3: 130
*Huma
*.15 unit bolus
Mi 4: 122
Mi 5: 128
Mi 6: 118
Mi 7: 110
*Huma
*.1 unit bolus
Mi 8: 94
Mi 9: 101 (done)
*Resume basal
Half walk home— Home at 94

Of note: It was hot. Ran in shorts (first outdoor run in shorts in probably 25 years.) It was awesome, and I was still ridiculously hot.

I was also stupid thirsty. That’s when you’re so thirsty you are unable to think of anything other than water. I know that’s not good. Today actually felt an awful lot like race day with the thirst… I need a strategy.

And if anyone says drink water— that’s just not even funny.

Also, made myself try to stick to a pace today (~9 min mile) rather than going by what the universe was whispering to me. That’s my usual strategy. I think I remember someone talking about the important of sticking to a pace… but…:thinking:… nope, must be an original idea.

Oh and my time was 1:19… which was an average of 8.52 a mile. So it can be done.

3 Likes

Excellent runs! Yesterday’s, I know must have been tough, starting so high. Those are the worst for me and I often, I’m ashamed to say, just cut them short if I continue to rise. Your BG came down nicely though, I suspect besides the running itself, the IM bolus did the trick. I need to brave those one of these days!

Today’s run was fantastic. As soon as 50s/60s temp arrive, I switch to shorts. A bit less weight to be carrying during the run! :slight_smile:

Do you carry a water bottle? Except for winter, I always carry water. I can store fruit jellies in the bottle holder’s pocket, too. My running partner carries a camel back but she generally runs longer than me.

3 Likes

I do not carry a water bottle, @Trying… but I might be in the future. I can’t get that thirsty. There’s no way that’s not harming me on a few different levels…

And today’s numbers were even worse than yesterday’s, and they didn’t come down. Very frustrating. :massage_woman:

1 Like

So I have a coach again. :upside_down_face:

And a loose target… which is a fall half marathon… and a schedule. And not a moment too soon. :hugs:

1 Like

So today I did this… and I’m not proud, but reinforcements are on the way…

Had a coffee after my medical appointment this morning.

There, I said it.

I did do all the insulin I was comfortable doing, but I got very frustrated this morning with highs that started last night that just wouldn’t budge. So yeah, I had the coffee and did what I could to control the damage, but…

Starting BG: 304.
*.7 unit bolus (this put me at probably 3 units total, including some boluses before leaving the house)
Mi 1: 310
*.5 unit bolus
Mi 2: 267
Mi 3: 272
Mi 4: 263
*. 5 unit bolus
Mi 4.52–cool down
Mi 5: 262
*1 unit bolus
Mi 6: 200 (done)

At one time in my diabetes life, those numbers were very reasonable… if not a little low. :woman_facepalming: Now they’re unnecessary and ridiculous, and they actually feel really terrible during a run. My legs felt heavy and like they didn’t want to go… and my RPE was high because of it. Anyway. It leaves room for improvement tomorrow.

2 Likes