DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

I’ve already moved on. It was a good result. That’s where I’ve arrived with it, and now it’s time to get on with the next thing.

I wouldn’t understand my existence without it. :grin: Its not all competitive all the time, but I’ve got just enough to complicate things. That’s okay because it also makes things interesting. More so when I win.

Ah, my life. :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

May 13… indoor base miles?? 5?? I’m now making up my own workouts, so it’s pretty much just become 5 miles every time.

Did at least an hour of ZB. BG was borderline low most of the morning, so I had a yogurt about 15 minutes before starting without bolusing.

Starting BG: 70
Mi 1: 106
*.4 unit bolus (So I did this and then immediately asked myself WHY I did such a big bolus)
Mi 2: 100
Mi 3: 76
*Transcend to fix the over-bolus
Mi 4: 89
*Resume basal
Mi 5: 105
*.5 unit
Walk half mile

RPE was chill. I think. I actually can’t even remember running that day but know I wouldn’t have written out all the numbers if it were a lie. :thinking:

May 14 Tuesday… outdoor 5 miles
Hours and hours of no carbs or coffee, but I did NOT do a ZB prior to heading out the door. I cut out the basal at the start of the run.

Walked out the door at BG of 157
1/2 mile walk to the corner gave me a starting BG of 119
Mi 1: 135
Mi 2: 121
*Huma
*.2 unit bolus
Mi 3: 105
Mi 4: 96
Mi 5: 98

RPE was fun… Can’t remember this run either.

May 15… today???.. outdoor 5 miles
So I was low all night last night, all yesterday afternoon and all morning today. And actually all evening and night tonight… :thinking:… so I was really worried about a big drop during running. There were a million suspends on my t:slim from the time I woke up until the time I headed out, so I just left them alone, figuring I could use that reduction in insulin. Again I didn’t do a ZB, but I cut the basal at the start of the run.

Left my house at a 75 and brought a banana. I ate half of the banana on my way up to the corner. BG was a 75, so I figured I would need those carbs especially since I hadn’t cut the basal in advance. With the banana (and a yogurt before leaving the house, and no bolus, I was really worried I was going to go high during the run. But that didn’t happen. Numbers were great.

Starting BG: 76
Mi 1: 68
*Huma
Mi 2: 81
Mi 3: 82
Mi 4: 66
Huma
Mi 5: 94
*Resume basal
Walk half mile
2 units when done
Walked back into the door at 83.

I ran the 5 miles today, outdoor on hills, in 41:30. I’m not sure that’s fast, but it felt fast. :smiley:

RPE here was great at 6.5 tops. It was a wonderful run. :hibiscus:

4 Likes

So funny!! Thanks for sharing your experience!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay. Eric. I know you’re out there somewhere. And I was given some pretty strict instructions not to run today, but without any supervision… I feel like I can’t be held responsible.

Today… still making up my own workouts. So I chose, completely at random, 5 miles. :roll_eyes:

With pollen and UV and UVA and UVB and everything lurking outside, I opted for the treadmill. 45 minutes ZB, no coffee, no carbs, nada. Nice and stable at ~100 when heading over to my mom’s.

Starting BG: 101
Mi 1: 96
Mi 2: 88
*Transcend
*.15 unit bolus (making a conscious effort to try smaller boluses here)
Mi 3: 85
Mi 4: 94
Mi 4.25: —
*resume basal
Mi 5: 101
*2 unit bolus and walk a mile
Mi 6: 113

banana when I finished.

RPE was fantastic. Treadmill speed mostly 6.9-7.0. De-lovely.

2 Likes

@Nickyghaleb, you know…the Williams sisters’ dad didn’t play tennis and he was a baller tennis coach.

With my soon to be SAHM status, I’ll gladly coach you in running until @Eric gets back from his walkabout.

3 Likes

:heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

Consider yourself hired.

What now? :grin:

3 Likes

Oh…wasn’t counting on that…

…I’ll be back after my own walkabout that I just forgot I had totally already planned…

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

Let’s do it. :fist:

But I gotta warn you I do nothing but b**ch.

3 Likes

Well, first…

I gotta break you down to build you back up.

And we gotta unlearn some of the things that your last coach taught you. Bad habits end now. Coffee is a good thing. All day long. Especially DURING runs. I wasn’t gonna let you in on that secret until Phase II…but I can see you’re a special case.

And your homework:
Get a pool noodle. A lava lamp. And a hair net.

No questions.

7 Likes

Gets his :popcorn:

4 Likes

Slides in along side with a bag of her own :popcorn:

4 Likes

Those there are power moves… which I’m cool with… if you say you know what you’re doing. :thinking:

Oh, crap…

So you’re saying I’ve been sent down the wrong path… and I was RIGHT about coffee being the critical element… maybe you do know what you’re talking about. I also like to run the exact same pace for the exact same distance every single day… I’m curious your take on that? Since I was also told to stop it. :thinking:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

On it.

4 Likes

Today is Saturday, and I usually do LSD on Saturday. :cowboy_hat_face:

And by that I mean a long, slow distance run. :roll_eyes:

My blood sugar has been high since yesterday evening, not entirely sure why, so I decided just to make today’s goal to bring that down with a run. And not to crash. And not to go higher. And not to end up in the emergency room because of whatever can happen when exercising with a high blood sugar. So a couple of goals.

No ZB this morning—- or at at least none intentionally, if that’s what was happening— and no need to calculate a thing before getting on the treadmill.

Starting BG: 326 :confused:

• .15 unit bolus immediately (tiny bolus but had reason to think things might move fast since I changed my set and was getting insulin again—in theory)
    Mi 1: 306 (look promising)
    *.2 unit bolus (because I was kind of hoping for a faster drop)
    Mi 2: 340?? Decided to retest: 294 Decided to retest again: 309 (frickin OneTouch)
    *.3 unit bolus
    Mi 3: 286, retest: 340 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: retest: 299
    *.4 unit bolus
    Mi 4: 289, retest: 277
    Mi 5: 286, retest: 268
    Mi 6: 272

4 unit IM rage bolus… and finally a drop. But still only to a 120 2 hours later.

I thought I did 2 units during the run, but it looks like I did less than that. However, I know that the difference between even a .1 and .2 can be astronomical, so this really was a lot of insulin. And I really did run hard. And I really should’ve dropped. Anyway.

RPE in the beginning was like I just repeated “this is crap” every 3 steps. It picked up in the middle a little, and I started to get into the run. Then mom walked in. Killed it. Lectures galore. RPE for the last couple of miles was “this is crap” every 2 steps.

But I’m glad she’s home. :smirk:

4 Likes

I hate those persistent highs, especially when they go higher during a run!! Demoralizing to say the least! You did great getting it to come down though. I’ve yet to do an IM, sort of scared of them, but plenty of times I could use it. Your runs are always inspirational. I do so appreciate you sharing.

I’ve been using Loop for a few days now and trying to find the best strategy for running with it. Today I just decided to suspend all basal rather than risk a low. So I was suspended for 3 hours and the interesting thing was that I didn’t spike post run. Still trying to work everything out, but so far, I’m thrilled with it, and I have to say, totally preoccupied with it!

2 Likes

Sick again. Got my run Saturday, sick as all get out by Sunday… slept all Monday… finishing my third cup of coffee here on Tuesday. I know I shouldn’t run and probably can’t anyway, but that weather is trying to get me out. So maybe a nice slow walk.

I would love to hear how looping is going for you! You’re just a few days in then?? I don’t know the first thing about it, but it sounds like something I’d really enjoy. And because I don’t know the first thing about it, I don’t even know what your options are for running… Like whether to suspend or reduce? Not exactly sure what options I think there could be… like food delivery mid-run… :roll_eyes:

Did you need any carbs during?? I still would find that unusual… 3 hours would wreck me. Although knowing there are a million diabetes scenarios, maybe you struck the lucky combination?? Or maybe you didn’t eat much the day before?? I did hear from Eric the other day, and he told me how he went 24 hours without a single bolus. :grin: His explanation was that he didn’t eat much on Friday which meant his Saturday run burned up the 96g of carbs he took during it (plus suspend)… and then everything he ate the rest of the day. I’d like to try it… but see it going terribly wrong. :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, I just completed my first week, but I had some operator failures, bad G6 sensor, and other issues, so it wasn’t really a complete week. I had to uninstall a few times and revert back to the OmniPod PDM for parts of one or two days.

I’m still getting familiar with how to handle running with Loop. Loop now (just in the last dev release) has something called Overrides. This allows the user to “mimic” temp basals. So, a user can define a “Running” override, and set the min/max to say 110 BG and give it a time lapse before it expires. Loop will then use this override as the target for its " temp basal". It will suspend if BG goes below 110, in this example, and deliver temp basals over 110, to try to maintain a 110 BG. At least that is my understanding. I haven’t tried it yet, but hope to today! Two days ago, before I installed the Overrides version, I simply suspended all insulin for the 3 hour duration, and that worked perfectly. No low, no high. I didn’t run yesterday, but will see how it goes today. If you need food mid-run, just resume insulin, and bolus. It is quite easy in the Loop app on iOS, or even on the iWatch. The one difficulty is now I must carry my iPhone and RileyLink with me during the run if I want to know my BG. Previously I was using xDrip+ on my smartwatch as standalone which communicated directly with Dexcom transmitter, so didn’t need to carry anything!

No, I don’t think I had any carbs for that run, and yes, it could have just been luck!! :wink: Typically, if I do need carbs, it is just one or two, maybe 3, of those fruit jellies spread out over the run, so maybe 2-6g.

Wow, now THAT is incredible, no bolus for 24 hours. But actually, I can see that happening with Loop because Loop is constantly changing the temp basal based on the user’s settings (ISF, CR, basal) and BGs. BUT I don’t think Eric is on Loop!! He is his own APS! :star_struck:

I’ve been using Loop for a few days now and trying to find the best strategy for running with it.

I’m super curious about this as well. This would be a great subject for a new thread, I think!

1 Like

I agree! I will start one!

1 Like

Been a tough week full of sickness and anxiety. So I went for a longer run tonight to get my brain right… and hopefully not make anything else worse.

Saturday indoor 7 mile goal
Coffee before I started because of lots of lows— needed the caffeine to offset hypo-jelly-legs but knew it was going to spike me after my run started so decided to do a small preemptive bolus.

Starting BG: 166
*.15 pump bolus
Mi 1: 150
*.1 unit pump bolus (a little more by accident)
*Cut basal
Mi 2: 102
*Huma
Mi 3: 73
Mi 4: 69
Mi 5: 63
*Gatorade Prime
Mi 5.5: —
*.1 unit
Mi 6: 72
Mi 7: 90 finish

I asked earlier what would cause one run that had a low blood sugar to make me feel like I was spacewalking while another one would feel fine… and I was thinking it was either having IOB or a fast drop in blood sugar. Over the last couple of weeks, I think I’ve settled on an answer in my own case. I’m doing a number of runs where I’ve got IOB… and feel fine. I’ve also got plenty of runs where I’ve got none but drop fast… and struggle for coordination. Today I bolused a couple of times early on and timed the Huma to slow down the drop. Felt fine. I think I am concluding here that although it isn’t helpful to have a bunch of insulin on board, a fast drop in blood sugar is the most physically draining. And I’ll go with that until I figure out it isn’t true.

I also think I’m picking a new half marathon and going to just repeat training. Getting antsy.

4 Likes