DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

That would be about 7.7 mph. The 2 miles of warmup and cool down makes more sense.

And that’s why I gave you the strip holder…

1 Like

I hear she also makes shower - side sandwich deliveries. Is that in 30 minutes or less?

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
She’s at my door now!

30 minutes?! She has that stuff to me in 3 or less. Busting down the door. You’d never order again if pizza came like this. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Okay two serious questions since we’re actually closing in on the race now…

1. About getting chafed— is there anything to do for it?? I wear exercise pants. It’s the only thing I’m willing to run in. And they’re running pants— or at least some of the pairs are. It’s not bad enough to cause problems into the next day, but it be irritating on the long runs.

2. Earphones. I use about 8% of my total expendable energy trying to cram earphones back down into my ears. They stay for 16 seconds. You said you had some that don’t come out? My son uses earbuds, which sound great, but I’m afraid I’ll lose them… Any suggestions?

1 Like

Yes! You can get this at any running store, or on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Glide-Original-Anti-Chafe-Balm/dp/B00288L2N6/

Yes! Get some earbuds with the loop that go around your ears, like this. All the other ones come out. These loop kind will stay on really well.

1 Like

under your shirt??? Your shirt doesn’t knock your test strips out?? I’m loading up all my holders and getting ready for my run…

I wear the SPIBelt over my shirt.

Something very important DN @Nickyghaleb

The links I put up for the chafing stuff and the earbuds. Get that today.

One of the rules is you don’t try something new on race day. You need to get those things right now and start using them the next 2 weeks so you are comfortable with them both and make sure they work and don’t cause you any problems.

Same for anything you are going to wear. Make sure you have put some miles on anything you are using for the race.

1 Like

Does anyone carry their OmniPod with them running? If so, what do you do to protect it from the rain?

1 Like

I carry it sometimes. Just depends on the run.

What I use to carry it in also depends on the run.

The Amphipod company makes a lot of good holders for running.
http://www.amphipod.com/products/holders

If it is a big downpour, this DryPak is great because it is totally waterproof but you can still push the buttons. You can leave it in the DryPak and still bolus! Try it! :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you, Eric! Looks perfect!

2 Likes

Yes, excellent packages. Want one.:grin::grin:

2 Likes

How was it, DN?

1 Like

Ordering today. And more test strips. Ridiculous how many test strips I go through. :roll_eyes:

I’m trying to write about today’s run, which was very good, but I’ve been a MESS since finishing. Don’t even ask. I’ll try getting this done now though while everything is in order… in case it’s not in 6 minutes.

Decided to go outside today. The weather was so unbelievably beautiful that there would have to be something wrong with me to pass that up for the treadmill. So it meant the elements, which is good for me mentally anyway. But it was warm in the sun, and there was what started as a beautiful breeze that ended up a challenge, and those frickin hills… dang, the hills.

But I did finally make myself a running playlist, which dropped songs like Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, and I loved having that. It was all my favorites, and each song made me happy all over again. Other random thoughts: my right foot went numb about 4 miles in and didn’t wake back up until about 20 minutes after finishing. Hips were tight a little— pinching and all. That’s the first time my foot has done that in many, many months. It kind of sucked. Also, I was thirsty, oh my word… like I felt like I was crossing the desert. I was eyeing the people on the bikes… with their little water bottles… thinking about whether I could take one of them out. The people. Then the water bottles. And a little foot pain. In and out before 2 miles were up—so temporary. It did get me thinking about how much I might be running on the outside of my feet. I think I do that. Okay… oh! And then the problem at the end was a loose cannula. So I did some boluses in the end but don’t think I got any insulin. I was sick when I got home and did an IM. I’m rising again though and getting sick… it’s been a roller coaster since being home, and this part hasn’t felt the best. But I’m getting through it, one spike and crash at a time. Crash is coming… better hurry thi up.

Oh, and I got flipped this morning. Was trying to get my stuff right and head out early, but the usual… had to have my morning coffee, knew i probably needed a good ZB, didn’t want to do much insulin before going… decided on an IM in place of my regular pump bolus, but I think I just didn’t do enough. Then I got caught up in the waiting game— waiting for my sugar to turn around so I could go, but it just kept going higher. Saw a 230, did a half unit IV, and was headed out the door at a 153. 132 at the corner, ate a banana, and had accumulated quite a bit of ZB by that time.

Starting BG: 132
Mi 1: 112
Mi 2: 119
Mi 3: 114
*Huma
*.3 unit pump bolus
Mi 4: 108
Mi 5: 111
Mi 6: 94
Mi 6.5: —
*Huma
Mi 7: 86
Mi 8: 94
Mi 9: 83
Mi 10: 83
Mi 11: 81 (finish)
Walked a mile and a half home without testing because I was on FaceTime with my screaming 5 year old who had just cut his toe on the door. Didn’t see that big rise until after it was underway, and it turned out to be from a loose cannula… and, boy, has it been a ride since.

Trying.

But also couldn’t be happier. I love it when I find out I can get this stuff done even with this stuff happening.

Mental RPE: 7.5-8
Physical RPE: 7ish

Going to go lie down. :smiley:

3 Likes

BG numbers are great. Between 132 and 81, so all of the stuff didn’t seem to matter too much.

Your foot going numb is something you need to see someone about.

Other than that, everything really sounds fine.

We’ll talk a bit later about the next 2 weeks.

It’s not just the hills and breeze that you were feeling. It’s mostly the ~27 miles from the previous 5 days.

Good stuff there.

On race day you will be doing this on fresh legs. It will be easy.

2 Likes

I knew you’d say that, too. And you’re right. I only spell it all out because it can mean some serious work getting to that 132… and because sometimes the info from before the run explains something during. But mostly because that 132 is the result of work. Today was work. Mostly in an excellent way.

Maybe the MRI results will explain something. And maybe not.

I told myself that 8 times today… only during the miles I needed to hear it. :grin: It was good to think though— that this isn’t supposed to be easy. That my legs are supposed to feel that way. As soon as I thought it, I was able to pull myself together a little— quit the pity party I had going on in my head. :grin:

And you didn’t ask, but everything was under a 9 min mile—some BARELY under, but…

2 Likes

Yes do what Eric said. Runners lube. It’s amazing. Don’t buy the “women’s” version. It sucks in comparison. Also it’s amazing on feet too, if you ever find yourself in a pair of heels. Love the stuff. Travel with it always.

3 Likes

Good for you! I’m proud of you for getting it done and showing your little people (and mom and husband and us) that you’ve totally got this!

3 Likes

@Nickyghaleb of your mom saw this Pic, would she deliver? Do. I get a choice of sides?

3 Likes