DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Okay, @Eric. Please tell me this is how you wanted it. The only little notes I’d like to attach (and, trust me, I’ve really trimmed these down :grin:) is that days 5 and 6 included oatmeal and some more mealtime carbs. I’m hoping to keep that going. Also, the one that says Day 7 isn’t really day 7… it was the one I told you about with the crashing and whatnot. The only reason I included it is that although I like to think of it as an “atypical” day, I’m not so sure it is. As I was flipping through my History, I noticed a fair number of days where my total bolus units were in the 30s. I really, genuinely feel like the 6 days I logged were very standard routine days for me, but I’m not sure what to make of those other days I saw in there.

That’s all I’m saying. The great news is this got easy in the end— the logging. If I need to do it again, no problem. :grin:

And now, without further ado… :grin:

1 Like

Perfect! Exactly what I wanted to see.

Can you put them as numbers in a post for me so I can copy them into a spreadsheet for you?

You mean just put them in a response?? Like I do my BG stuff?

Yes please!

You know all I needed was that song, right?? :grin:

Yes, of course. Gimme a sec…

10 minutes.

1 Like

Oh Nicky, you did your stuff
You did your stuff like I asked, hey Nicky
Hey Nicky

You finally did your numbers, what took you so long?
If I had known it woulda helped, I woulda already done the song

:rofl::rofl:
If I had known the song would help, I would’ve asked for it. :smiley:

Day. Carbs. Protein. Fat. Bolus. Basal

1.     125.      91.        75.       20.4.     25.06

2.      106.     81.        68.       17.81.   24.15

3.      116.     44.        35.       18.03.   24.87

4.      137.     94.         51.      22.3.     20.45

5.      152.     53.        34.       25.        21.05

6.      175.     58.        33.       27.25.   26.43

7.      219.     41.        63.       31.67.  25,37

That’s a messs. I apologize, but I’m late for a run date. :smiley:

In all fairness… that came up even MESSIER than what it looked like when i wrote it. I will be back to fix if you’d like…

Just getting to really take a look at what I gave you… I have a few exercises to do and then I’m all done. Can I fix that?? I didn’t know it was going to put my stuff in lines like that… it took my days, which I guess thought were numbered entries, and tried to organize it. :woman_facepalming:

Okay, your carb percentage per day is a bit on the low-ish side for your activity. The consecutive mileage days are going to wear you out a bit.

I suggest increasing your carb percentage a bit. See if you can get that up to about 55%. About 50 grams more carbs per day gets you close to that percentage.

If you want to make any calorie reductions, I suggest trying to drop the fat number down to 25% if you can. That’s a tough one, lots of delicious things have fat.

All-in-all, nothing horrible.

Here are your calorie percentage averages:

Calories from carbs Calories from protein Calories from fat Total Calories
589 264 462 1314
44.8% 20.1% 35.1%

From which day? The day I had 219 g was a crashy day. It was probably 150g of Welch’s Fruit Snacks. The day I had 175 grams was a recent one where I’d already begun making a concerted effort to get some carbs in. I think my typical day is probably about 120 g. So I should shoot for 225??

I do want to make some calorie reductions. Those fat totals are a little off though. I couldn’t find egg whites, so it said I was eating 14.3 grams of fat when I really only 5. I also had a hard time getting the salad count right, and it was tallying like 20 g of fat when I think it’s probably 5 tops. And before you get all upset, those were the only foods I had a hard time with. I think everything else is accurate.

I wouldn’t be upset.

I was looking at the 7 day average.

For the next 7 weeks, see if you can make these meals more carb-focused:

• Tuesday dinner
  • Wednesday breakfast or lunch (whichever meal is before your run)
  • Wednesday dinner (post-run)
  • Friday dinner
  • Saturday breakfast or lunch (whichever meal is before your run)
  • Saturday dinner (post-run)

That way you are not getting too depleted before or after those significant run days.

About 200-225 would be good. And also if you can swap out more protein for some of the fat, that would help.

1 Like

That’s a plan. :smiley:

Definitely more than what I’ve been doing on a regular day. My brain shouts out hooray, but I’m not so sure there’s anything to be celebrating. It’s an extra couple of applesauces. No reason to be baking brownies every night… :thinking:

More protein for some of that fat… Ideas?? I told you I think the fat totals were a little higher than what I actually eat, right? Hmmm… I’d love to do this. I also told you this is starting to sound more like the way I’ve eaten most of my life… pre-diabetes. It’s also what it took me years post- diabetes diagnosis to learn to avoid. Not the protein stuff but the whole diet. The higher carb, lower fat, good amount of protein…

Really??

1 Like

Really.

It depends on what a person needs. You are ramping up your mileage, and the intensity you are doing is going to be high enough that you will be using a lot of glycogen. more than what you are used to.

More protein will also help your muscles recover better between workouts.

It’s not high-carb or low carb, it’s right-carb.

It feels like a week ago that I ran, but it was only about 12 hours ago…

Okay. Today I was supposed to do 5 miles at 7.0, and I did that. It was a great run— and I mean great. Yesterday I was worried a little about my hip/glute, but today there wasn’t even a whisper from it. I started the run feeling good and strong, and I never felt anything but. So that was happy-making stuff.

About my BG… Also very happy with that. I did drop more than I would’ve liked, but I had a gut feeling it was going to happen and decided I could wait on the carbs anyway. So it ended fine, but I think I could tighten it up a little next time.

I was planning for a noon run, so I had my last food bolus at 8:30 this morning. Basal-IQ did suspend for a little bit, and I saw a bit of a rise at 11:20 that caught me off guard. I was at a 163, and I really didn’t want to go any higher. I decided to try a half unit bolus, just to blunt it, and to leave on my basal until I got closer to the run. At 11:30 I was a 170, but I was already in the 130s twenty minutes later. I suspended my basal at that time.

Starting BG: 117
Mile 1: 112
Mile 2: 96 (my instinct was to do the carbs now, but I chose to wait)
Mile 2.85: 70
*Huma gel and .35 unit bolus
Mile 3.85: 62
Mile 4.5: 64
*Resume basal
Mile 4.75:
*One unit
Mile 5: 65

RPE: 5.5-6 for the majority. I think I got up to maybe 6.5 in the last 3/4 mile or so.

Really enjoyed today’s run. It felt clean. Plenty of energy, plenty of strength, plenty of good music. :smiley:

1 Like

You do know I had to seal up a bag of chips and put a date on them and had to accept some kind of dare/challenge from some guy to see how long I could go without eating them in order for me to stop eating them, right? Did you know that? I love that right there… …not high-carb or low carb but right-carb… That sounds great. It’s just a dangerous amount of freedom in my hands.

I’m going to do it because I honestly believe I need those carbs now, but I am only hopeful I don’t abuse it.

My new right-carb diet. I do like it. :smirk:

3 Likes

Have you noticed anything yet about the Wednesday runs on your schedule??

Get dialed in on that pace. Total muscle memory. I want you to be able to feel that pace without looking at the treadmill. I want you to get that Wednesday pace seared in your brain and in your legs.

For the next 7 weeks I want you to know exactly what it feels like, so that it can become automatic.

1 Like

It’s a very comfortable pace. Felt wonderful. I’d like to be able to do it outside though… I’m afraid it will feel harder out there.

I love this. You dropped from 117 to 112 to 96 to 70 and then took insulin. While running. Nice!

That’s just your brain playing tricks on you.

Calibrate your treadmill sometime to see if it is correct.