DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Okay, first…I’ve registered for my next race— a May 4th half marathon.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Next, but who cares… I ran today for about 3.5 miles, blood sugar was fine, all was fine. And danced. :hugs:

I now have THREE days (2 100% complete and one missing only the late night sugar crash carb intake numbers) of nutrition totals. I can give you stuff on Sunday?? Hopefully I’ll have 5 days’ worth by then?? Is that enough?

Sounds good. Inside?? I tried heading outside today, but it was too cold and snowing. Supposed to be 75 on Sunday. :woman_facepalming:

Good. Finally some good, clear instructions. :grin:

Okay. I can’t run until early afternoon, or maybe even late afternoon, so this is going to be tricky. I know I need to focus on this though, so I’ll try to be organized tomorrow.

I wish I could run in the morning, but it’s not an option. It’s just me and the kids this weekend, so I can’t go until my mom gets here. This could happen anytime between 11 and 2. That’s my guess. This is why it gets tricky. However I will know 30 minutes in advance, so that part will be easy— to knock out the basal. I’ll have my coffee in the morning and will just not have any after I get home from my son’s game. That will take self-control… which is not really my strength. But I’ve promised you, so I can make that happen.

Beyond that, I have no plans. Honestly, I think it will probably make the most sense just to not eat carbs… because I can’t. If I have carbs anytime within a couple of hours prior to starting, I’ll need insulin. So knowing you’re going to tell me I need to have some carbs for the run, I’ll include a banana with breakfast. So 2 cups of coffee, some eggs, and a banana for breakfast. Then I’ll stick to a couple of pieces of cheese and a bowl of egg white salad for lunch, and then hopefully I’ll be all even and flat with no IOB before takeoff.

How about that??

1 Like

Where are you in the Clark book?

Eat it 4 hours before to eliminate the IOB. If you eat 4 hours before and turn your basal off 30 minutes before, you will have less IOB than you normally do when you leave your basal running the whole time.

The fuel your body needs is carbs. Egg whites will help with repair, but doesn’t do much for fueling. Cheese, egg white salad, that doesn’t do much for your run.

Eat some breakfast please. You are eating gtabs and gels and all kinds of stuff while you are running. Let’s get a handle on that. I’d rather you eat stuff you are fueling for while running, rather than always treating lows while running. That process starts with some carbs for breakfast.

3 Likes

Okay, I do have a hard time with these long chunks of time like this. I’m a grazer. But I can’t nivvlw on carbs at all if I can’t do insulin, so it leaves me with nothing but cheese and stuff as a meal before my run. Am I misunderstanding something?

So let’s say tomorrow I have breakfast at 7:15. I could have a banana and yogurt?? And coffee. I’m home by 9:30, have my coffee… and then eat only cheese and egg whites before I head out for a noon run. Turn off my basal at 11:30.

Is that okay??

1 Like

How many total carbs is that?

20 for the banana… the yogurt is also 20.

Okay, 40g is useful.

That’s kinda the point of the food logging. Just need to see where you are with all of that. If you are gonna be putting in the higher miles, it’s gonna be tough without sufficient carbs.

2 Likes

I love carbs. I just don’t handle them well. I do get a banana for breakfast on a halfway regular basis, but it’s not until about an hour or two after I get up, and it’s omly once I start crashing. School mornings only. Never need it on the weekend. So 40 grams of carbs tomorrow morning will be an interesting little experiment. I’m guessing it’s going to be a disaster, but I don’t know that. It might work out just fine.

I’m probably going to need to find some good healthy carbs though if it’s going to be necessary to eat them. I’m also not all that reliable when it comes to picking reasonable ones. But I have a plan tomorrow morning. I can do that tomorrow and it’ll give me an idea what I might need to tweakS

2 Likes

Oatmeal is great. Can you try that next week?
Prebolus with enough insulin, and then you have a few hours to get settled out.

I love oatmeal. :heart:

And I even have some available now, which makes me love it more.

So are you around? Can you help me out with a kind of tentative plan? My mom and I agreed on 3:00. It’s 10:30 now. How would you lay out the eating schedule if you were planning on eating a banana, maybe some oatmeal, a coffee or two, and some cheese and egg whites but were heading out the door at 3?

I’m not trying to pin you down on this, but this is the hardest piece for me. I basically have no rules and no guidelines which means I start every day from scratch. If I could just knock out any decision-making on my part for a couple of tries, I might be able to make better decisions as I take back over.

Please. :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

Hi, I am here.

I suggest eating 4 hours prior to your training runs. That removes most of the IOB.

Did you eat already?

Don’t be afraid of giving an overly sufficient supply of insulin for your meal, since you have 4 hours to let it all get settled out. And snacking a bit between your meal and your run is a good way of keeping from dropping. Just do very small bits of food to control your BG after your meal.

What are you doing now?

Okay. I’m on schedule then. Excellent.

Three times.

That just made my day. I did that. I did a heavy dose with the idea it might give me a little leeway between now and my run. I was sure it was a really bad idea, but now it’s come from your mouth… which either confirms it’s a bad idea or makes me a genius. We’ll have to see how it shakes out.

Seriously considering a nap. Can’t eat carbs and coffee if I’m asleep.

1 Like

Check frequently, do small corrections leading up to it. Get there flat and you will be fine.

1 Like

Small food corrections. No boluses. I already know the answer. I’m not sure why I’m seeking clarification.

I think I have to nap. I think the choice is out of my hands. But it looks like I need a small correction already. :woman_facepalming: This is why I’m not a fan of this stuff.

It’s fine. Learn and move on. Plenty of days left to get it ironed out.

I am working on your schedule. There is a lot of mileage in it. You will absolutely need to be fueling yourself for this schedule. Eating is just as important as running.

Just getting up from my nap… at an 80. Afraid to move or breathe. :no_mouth:

I’m very good at the eating part. It’s the controlling what I eat part that’s tricky.

1 Like

How long are the hills in your area?

1 Like

Long. .5-1.5 miles?? They feel like they go on and on forever, but that’s not an exact measurement. I could just go find out.

Today was great. Frickin fantastic. My mom just threatened that if I don’t come help with dinner, she’s not making dinner any more, so I have to make this fast…

Did my last food bolus at around 11;00 this morning. Ate a yogurt, banana, oatmeal… coffee… all of that between 6:15 and 11, so I got in all my carbs and caffeine and decided to go heavy on the food bolus with the hopes I’d have a little insulin left over for snacking. I ended up also having a yogurt right before I closed my eyes for a nap, slept an hour, woke up at an 80. I planned on cutting the basal off 30 minutes before starting, but then a NEIGHBOR showed up and started talking about a leak in her FRIEND’S house, and I ended up with an extra 20 minutes of ZB before finally getting to start. I had nothing on board though and almost an hour of ZB when I started it up.

Starting BG: 83
Mile 1: 72
1 glucose tab. Just because.
Mile 2: 64
Huma gel and 1/4 unit (This was almost 20 minutes into it, so I shaved off some of the recommended insulin. This wasn’t as much a “fueling” Huma as you were anticipating— I was feeling like I needed it a little, but it worked fine.
Mile 3: 64
Mile 4: 76
Mile 5: 82
Mile 6: 70
Transcend and 3/4 unit
Mile 7: 69 (resumed basal + 1 unit bolus)
Mile 8: 79

I know you said 7 miles. I thought it was 8. I had all those things I was keeping an eye on, and I didn’t double check this. I’ll double check the workouts from now on.

Oh! RPE maybe 5-5.5 until about the last mile. Never more than 6.

3 Likes

A couple things to ask:

• The Huma gels, how did they work for you? What did you think?

• The insulin for the Huma, you were dropping so you cut it back a bit, but do you think we are in the right ballpark? Maybe cut it back a bit next time. I suggested 0.50 units, maybe 0.35 would be better to try next time if you are not dropping.

• Post-run fueling, how did that go? You have to do that. Otherwise these runs are going to catch up with you in a bad way. I am almost done with your schedule. Lemme tell you this very important thing - you have to prioritize carbs when you finish. 40 grams right away, and then a good carb-focused meal within a few hours. I need you to get your carbs.

1 Like