DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Okay. Totally crappy crashy afternoon. Yuck. The good news is I didn’t blow through my new running gels while I was down. And, trust me, I considered it.

Here they are in all their glory…

I’ve got a good feeling about these.

3 Likes

Two things:

First, why, doesn’t everyone go all Nicky or all Allison or all Kim on everything? Oh, right, they don’t. But I feel like a person could go all out and it would be fine.

Second, I went running in Muir Woods today, and it was delightful. I thought of all of you runner types while I was out there. It’s my birthday and it was fun! (Mostly I went out there on my own to retrieve a scarf knitted by a dear friend which got lost on a hike on Saturday. And I found it 3 miles in! Yay!)

I point of both of these things, because going back and doing a 6 + mile hike at top speed to find a scarf that very well might have been stolen/disposed of/whatever, it’s clearly going all out. So sometimes it’s excellent! But when you are just making food logs for Eric, probably isn’t necessary. :rofl:

6 Likes

:heart::joy::heart::joy:

3 Likes

@TravelingOn Happy Birthday, what a great CELEBRATION, too! I love Muir Woods! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@TravelingOn, Happy Nelated Borthday!!!

Fell asleep last night looking at birthday funny stuff for you. Sorry I couldn’t have actually shared any of them with you on your birthday. :roll_eyes:

:tada::partying_face::kissing_heart::cherry_blossom::birthday:

7 Likes

Party all week!!! See you’re prolonging the fun!!!

Also, the dude abides.

5 Likes

I specifically thought of you @trying when I was considering runners while running. Specifically why you chose Monday as your day off. It made me chuckle to attempt to figure it out. And I thought of you @Nickyghaleb when I was chugging up an endless hill. :blush:

3 Likes

I have no idea where I am or what I’m doing. :smiley: I’ll just start with that.

I took yesterday off. It was a big day for my kids and for taking care of some stuff for them. It was too much too run, so I opted for some very bad eating and a really long nap. It was a big mix of guilt and relief and I don’t even care, and it all ended in a grand finale of my waking up in the middle of the night to a 200+, thinking my pump was beeping because I was low, eating 3 sugar tabs without evening thinking or looking, and then waking up this morning to a 340. That’s how you do it.

But today was a new day. Thank goodness.

@Eric, I didn’t get your text till after my run, but it looked like we kind of had the same idea—- yours, of course, was just a little bit more reasonable. :smiley:

Oh, and I had a horrible starting BG. Long story. I’ll save it. I started at a 194, but I had no insulin on board.

The workout:
1/4 mile @ 6.0
1/4 mile @ 6.5
5.5 miles @ 7.3
1/2 mile @ 6.0
1/2 mile @ 6.5

Starting BG: 194
Mile 1: 147
Mile 2: 118 (took about 15 g of GU… no good reason other than I didn’t really think it was going to do anything)
Mile 3: 103
Mile 4: 93
Mile 5: 83
Mile 6: 69
Mile 7: 54

No carbs other than the GU, and I honestly felt fine. I did know I was dropping a little in the end, but I decided to let it ride rather than to take something I’d have to probably do insulin for. Having a banana and some cheese and running out the door to get the kids.

RPE… was about a 6-6.3ish for the first 5 1/4 miles. That last 3/4 was harder, but it was never harder than a 7. If that.

Reading tonight and getting my food logs done today.

4 Likes

You run fast.

2 Likes

Awww, @Chris! Thank you. :hugs: “Fast” is a stretch, but it’s definitely less slow than what I used to do. :grin:

@Nickyghaleb FYI, those same shots at Walmart are $1.48/ea

2 Likes

Really… :thinking: Why thank you very much, @elver. I like them, but I think they’re about $2.50 each at CVS. Just feels like it should be a more exciting “shot” at that price. :grin:

2 Likes

Most welcome @Nickyghaleb

2 Likes

I’m just gonna say … all the good stuff is being left out when I don’t “go all Nicky* on the food logs.

I feel like the numbers are really only half the story.

How is that a fair representation??

4 Likes

Wow. We really do think alike.

I can see how I am lovably maddening now.

2 Likes

The only thing that matters is the numbers. You can use your own notes to try to make improvements or changes, but that is not why I wanted the numbers.

The only reason I want the numbers is to see if you are adequately fueling yourself for the upcoming training. To see if you are getting enough of what you should be getting. That’s it.

When you are training, your body does not care about any reasons or explanations or notes. Your body does not care why it got a certain amount of a nutrient, or the circumstances surrounding it. Reasons do not matter one bit to your body. It only cares about the fuel it can use.

If you want to use your log to see where you can change, that’s fine. But that’s a different subject altogether.

2 Likes

I actually don’t think I want to do that. I know what I’m eating that I shouldn’t be. It’s not exactly a mystery when my daily log contains egg whites, low fat cheese, bananas, and a shameful number of servings of mini-donuts.

And, honestly, I really was joking. Pretty much. No, I don’t think I want to start analyzing …

No, I’m good. I’ll just get you the numbers.

5 Likes

Mmmmm… Donuts! Everyone loves donuts!

2 Likes

Real simple…
Saturday, do 7 miles @ 6.5 mph. Get zoned in on that pace.

Focus on your BG leading up to the run. No IOB and turn off basal 30 minutes before and leave it off during the run.

Have you tried the Huma gels yet? Let’s try that on Saturday.

At 30 minutes, if your BG is in range, take 0.50 units and 1 Huma gel. I want you to start fueling your runs as you are going, and not just taking carbs to respond to lows. Try to be flat leading up to that 30 minute mark.

1 Like

Also, tell me about Saturday breakfast or lunch, whichever you are doing before your run. What are you planning? Let’s start working through that a bit. Do you have a preferred meal before running that has a good amount of carbs in it?

1 Like