DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

I’ll try this this evening. I haven’t been good about this at all. I’ve been trying to position myself so that I wouldn’t have a crazy spike, and sometimes it means I don’t get my carbs until an hour after I’ve finished. Last night I just couldn’t keep up, and I crashed hard at around 11— and then hit the roof on the rebound. Bought myself a 28 minute lecture from my mom this morning before I could even get to my coffee. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I’ve got a plan… kind of. Tomorrow I will take the day off from running and hopefully start a new thread. Monday, if you’re available, @Eric, we can talk about a new goal. And that’s it. That’s my plan.

You said to go by feel today, Eric, so I went for 8.5 miles. It was really nice.

Starting BG: 135
Mile 1: 115
Mile 2: 86
Did 10g of carbs only because the effect has been slow. So a preemptive thing.
Mile 3: 71
10g carbs
Mile 4: 68
8g carbs
Mile 5: 74
Mile 6: 69
Mile 7: 71
8g carbs
Mile 7.5: 1 unit of insulin
Mile 8: 65
Mile 8.5: 65
1.5 units of insulin

Had another unit and a half within 5 minutes of getting off when I saw my BG was an 86. Came home and had my banana. Began dropping almost immediately thereafter, so I got another banana. Maybe 20 minutes later, I had a plate of chicken and broccoli. Oh, I also did another 2 units with the second banana because I’m afraid of the rebound… Finished my run about an hour and a half ago and am at an 85, so I kind of think I made it through the first level. I’m definitely hitting a temp basal tonight though since I ran so late.

Very happy. Haven’t done 8.5 miles since I was like 16 years old. Hope I can walk tomorrow. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I don’t think there is anything left for me to tell you. This is exactly the way it should be. You looking at direction and slope of the BG change, doing preemptive stuff, taking carbs and insulin while you are running, taking insulin when you are about finished, doing insulin and carbs at almost the same time…

Seriously DN, seeing this stuff warms my heart. There is not a formula that can do what you did here. Not now, not ever. This is beyond what any machine can do, beyond any algorithm. Your instincts are now sharp. Perfect stuff today.
:heart:

2 Likes

And you didn’t think I was listening. :wink:

Oh my goodness does that make me happy. I was hoping you’d be proud. :hugs:

I couldn’t agree more. There’s a lot going into those choices, and they have to happen at the right time. You know all of this. Obviously. I couldn’t agree more.

Oh, there is. There’s lots more. But this is just really cool. Feels good knowing how to do this. Thank you for teaching me. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Nickyghaleb Fantastic results!! I’m so impressed, as @Eric says, just perfect, which can only be achieved in real time by watching the numbers and experience. So brave to have taken that insulin while still running. I don’t think I’ve done that before. Worked out perfectly and you got your refueling in without any highs! :star_struck:

3 Likes

And no lows last night!! I’m glad you wrote something… I meant to come back and say that, too. I did have a little dip around 2 hours after finishing, but there was that confusion I just couldn’t avoid… having had the 2 bananas instead of one, adding more insulin out of fear of rebounding, then being all flipped upside down with a low BG/high IOB combo. It went on for about 30 minutes where I just had to work my way through. Once I got it settled though (which really only took an extra 4 glucose tablets), I was good. Had a great night. Definitely worth trying to replicate tomorrow.

I do love starting the small boluses before the end of the run. I’ve done as much as 2 units when I was within a mile of finishing and knew I had consumed a lot of carbs, but I’ve been finding that even a series of .5-1 unit boluses seems to work well, too. Depends on what I think I’m looking at.

4 Likes

Even better, no lows!! Yay!! Yes, good thing you tested w/ a finger stick rather than just bolusing from the CGM. I find that my CGM is frequently off after a run and during a run! Not always though.

Looking forward to following your new thread :sunny:

3 Likes

Mine is, too. It’s usually a lag though… this one was an overshoot. Of course. :grin: How are you doing?? I haven’t seen anything on your thread lately??

Yes, sorry, I haven’t posted anything lately. I will try to post an update this week. I actually injured my foot about 3 weeks ago, so could not run regularly for about 2 weeks except some test runs. Started back last week and still feel a bit of a strain but mostly recovered.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear it, but I’m glad you’re on the mend!

I’ll keep an eye out. I look forward to hearing how everything’s going. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Plan on running Tuesday if no rain and will post afterwards. Hope I can mimic your great results! :smile:

1 Like

:heart::heart:

And I’ve got your distances in sight. Not in range. But in sight. With binoculars, sure. :grin:

I’m hoping for no rain and a pain free run for you. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Yes, your there now, and no lows and highs!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Last post in here. I’m about to talk to Eric and hopefully come back with a new goal, new plan, new thread…

Today, left to my own devices, I came up with a Monday run that felt like something Eric would’ve given. Only much easier.

My run was:
1/2 mile warm up @ 6.0
1 mile @ 7.3
1/2 mile recovery @ 6.0
1 mile @ 7.5
1/2 mile recovery @ 6.0
1 mile @ 7.7
1/2 mile cool down @ 6.0

I hadn’t eaten anything at all for hours prior to starting so I was going very even, but I also never bothered setting a ZB or any kind of reduced rate… so I had a coffee :grimacing:

@Eric, whenever you want to take over again, I’ll be happy.

Starting BG: 95
Mile 1.5: 112
Mile 3: 100
Mile 4.5: 97
Mile 5: 86 (finished)
3/4 mile walk
Mile 5.75: 70
2 glucose tablets

Everything’s been chill since. :smiley:

3 Likes

Another perfect workout w/ great numbers!!! :star_struck::running_man:

1 Like

I am not sure happy is the right word.
:rofl:

But nice work today!

Relax a bit and keep the cart behind the horse.

1 Like

Happy is the right word… until you do something I don’t like. Then silent treatment is the right word. But it’s short lived.

Anyway. I managed to squeeze in a last minute late run tonight. Long day— thought it wasn’t going to happen, so I’m thrilled. Trying to keep to what you’ve been giving me on Tuesdays, I decided on a 40 minute run and ended up with 5 miles in 42. My numbers are going to look made up, but I swear they’re not.

Starting BG: 72
.5 mile: 67 (only tested because it was last minute so zero preparation… and a little nervous about how my BG would hold up)
15g carbs
Mile 1.5: 72
Mile 2.25: 20g carbs
Mile 2.5: 65
Mile 3.75: 67
10g carbs
Mile 4.5: 1.5 unit bolus
Mile 5: 72 (finish)

I know I said that last post was going to be my last post in here, but I ALSO said I was going to keep posting in here until someone stopped me… so…

I’m off to go refuel. I did have a banana about 15 minutes after finishing (along with another 2 unit bolus about 5 minutes prior), but I’m making an effort to follow the proper steps, including maybe hitting another 75% temp basal for my overnight, so that I can reduce the hypos tonight. In honor of taking the proper steps, I’m off to have some chicken, sweet potato, and some green beans.

And, just so you know, my mom is all about the idea of refueling… and, look at that! She’s calling to remind me about it now… :woman_facepalming:

6 Likes

I know those numbers are not made up. They look like what I would expect from an elite woman on the podium. :wink:

Great numbers today!
:+1:

But I am wondering about this part:

You tested at 72. You waited for another 3/4 mile. Then you took carbs. Then you tested 1/4 mile later.

Why did you take carbs without testing? Were you feeling low?

Generally I would expect to see a test right before any carbs or insulin, unless you were really feeling it.

But that is just a minor point. Not to detract from what you did, just curious about the timing of the tests.

The numbers look great. You have it figured out!

3 Likes

I tested at 72 but started feeling a little wobbly soon thereafter. It just didn’t feel like a solid 72. I was hoping to test a little less this run and was shooting for testing again at mile 3. When I started feeling a little off, I figured I’d just give it a few carbs to tide me over until then. A quarter of a mile later, and I felt a little more wobbly. I decided to just test.

I’m also still trying to figure out the GU stuff. I’ve gotten used to the idea it’s delayed, but does that mean it will always be delayed? Today I chose a glucose shot, even though I spilled it all over myself and the treadmill, because I think of it as a faster acting carb. Is it the GU itself that is delayed, or is it true for any carbs I take? If it’s always delayed, is it wrong to take a little before you are concerned at all?

2 Likes

What is a glucose shot?

It’s a matter of perspective.

It may feel more delayed the lower you are.

Have you tried the other two things I’ve suggested?

Please say you have bought them and tried them both. I’ve posted links. You have free shipping from Amazon. I don’t feel like finding the face-palming emoji.

If you tried them, then we can talk about the words slower and fasterer in comparison to GU, instead of just the word slow. Perspective.

1 Like