DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

I think we shold move this to its own thread, for those not following this one.

1 Like

What do you think, @Nickyghaleb? When a thread grows beyond 100 posts most people don’t open or follow it. It would not be a bad idea to split this story, and to kickstart a new DN running thread every quarter or so. You could put a link to the next/previous thread at the end of each quarter? The other issue is that very long threads can create forum load problems.

1 Like

Congratulations, @Nickyghaleb! What an accomplishment, on all counts!

3 Likes

Thank you, @Tapestry! :heart::heart:

3 Likes

I’ll do what you see fit. Do I name it the same? Can I give it a new title? And I have no idea how to link stuff, but I’m sure you could show me?

You can leave it as is and keep on going in your thread: it is totally up to you. But it is true that there will be more readers if you have more threads that are shorter. And I think it will be more useful to more people if you chunk it.

If you want, I could split the part of the existing thread that leads to your 5K, if you tell me from which post to split. That would be a nice sequence, with a beginning and an end! Then you could take on from there with a new thread to start.

Each thread needs a unique title, that’s the only rule. But, for instance, you could have DN’s Running Spring’19, and change the title every season. Or DN’s New Adventures, and use sequel titles for each, like book series :slight_smile:

I can build the links for you, so that there is a link from each thread to the next. Once I have shown you, it will be really easy for you to do it yourself in the future—but it’s always OK to ask me to do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have to come back for this. I promise to take care of it over the couple of days… and will never ask you to link anything for me that I can link myself. :grin: I just need to be shown once. Maybe twice.

Since it’ll take a couple of days to get any transition going, I’ll put a little pressure on @Eric to tell me about this week’s schedule??? It’s almoat Tuesday, and I’m all rested and ready to go. Please? :grin:

I know I have a little organizing in here, but I had a nice run so I thought I’d put it in while I transition to the next… level.

5 mile easy run.
Starting BG: 67
Mile 1: 78
Mile 2: 72
Mile 3: 68
Mile 4: 71
Finish: 75

Got me some water on my treadmill… finally. So I sipped today with the GU but also tried to gnaw on a couple of my good old chalky glucose tablets for a more immediate effect. Took 2 tabs at the very start with a small bit of GU and repeated at mile 3. Did 2 units with 1/2 mile left, and my blood sugar has been calm since.

That’s all. Need to start a new thread and to have a talk with Eric about the next goal…

2 Likes

Wow, FANTASTIC numbers!!! :star_struck:

2 Likes

That’s damn sexy!
:wink:

1 Like

Finally. :dancer:t2:

1 Like

Thanks, @Trying. :hugs::heart:

1 Like

Posting in here until somebody makes me stop…

Ran 7 miles today, Eric. Sorry. I haven’t had a long run in a while, and it was a lovely day. I’d like to get discussion underway though about the next goal so that I don’t destroy myself in the meantime.

Starting BG: 71
3.5 IOB… that was a problem
23 g of carbs at start
Mile 1: 52
Mile 2: 49 (23 g of carbs)
Mile 3: error :confused:
Mile 4: 54
Mile 5: 58 (23 g carbs)
Mile 6: 54
Mile 7: 57

All those carbs (GU style), and I decided I’d better get some insulin on board for the post run climb… because I was sure it was coming. Did 2 units with 3/4 miles left. Still hit a 134 about 30 minutes after finishing, but it looks like I’ve got it back under control.

3 Likes

See that? You can run that low if you need to.
:wink:

It actually wasn’t intentional. I got about 2.5 miles down the road and realized I had left the other GU at the door. So I had the 23 g of carbs when I saw the 49, hoping to stretch that, but I ended up running into my house to grab some sugar when I passed back through at 5 miles. It all felt fine though. It was cold, and I don’t feel lows very well in the cold, but I felt very comfortable.

When do we talk about the next episode???

1 Like

Let’s schedule a chat!

1 Like

Okay. I’ll be in touch. :wink:

Question… I took a long-for-me run yesterday afternoon and ended up crashing most the evening. It wasn’t just the run— I also had a few bad numbers and blah blah blah, but I wanted to ask what is a reasonable plan after a big run? I know you don’t do a temp basal, but is there a way around it? I had a nasty crash last night followed by a way nastier rebound. Any kind of blanket strategy you could give here?? It is it too vague a question?

My formula is simple and is consistent every time.

Every run is followed by…what?

• insulin
  • carbs
  • hydration
  • protein

For longer or harder runs, hit the carbs (and insulin) extra hard, and follow it for a few hours with checks and carb snacks as needed.

Also, a meal soon after will help a lot.

Replenish your body on your own terms (in the hours soon following a run), otherwise your body will replenish on its terms (like at night when you are sleeping :open_mouth:).

You can cut basal too if you want. I sometimes cut it at night when I am asleep, but if I am awake, I’d much rather eat!

We can work through some basal adjustments if you want.

1 Like

Okay. I know you guys have been talking about this on other threads, but I was still working on just getting some control over my post-run numbers. I was trying to just avoid doing roller coasters. I think I’m getting the feel for that now, so it would help to figure out a plan. Especially when I take afternoon/evening runs. Morning runs seem to be more straightforward as it usually means just getting some more carbs.

Okay. I’m headed for an evening run today. I’ll try to refuel with a little more attention and consider dropping my basal for even a couple hours. Maybe?

Sure, experiment with it. Maybe cut down to 75% for 4-8 hours after your run, depending on how hard your run is. (by how hard, in this case I am referring to the amount of muscle glycogen you are using)

Take insulin and carbs right after! Again, depending on how hard you might take 30-50 grams or something like that.

We can get an estimate of how much muscle glycogen you are using and then try to replace a portion of that right away, and the rest within a few hours later with a meal.

1 Like