DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Then great. Nailed that. :grin:

No, you didn’t, but you did mention the possibility of my finding it too easy… The power of suggestion, my friend. I know men don’t listen on this level, but women really do get meaning from each word. Word whisperers. Men, not as much.

Already gone.

Then I should be huge.

4 Likes

Okay. Easy run today, completely uneventful, shouldn’t be much to report, but i’m high on coffee, so…

I started my day off with a 5 mile walk with my mom and cousin. It was beautiful.

It was as quiet as it looks… except I was commentating for my mom and cousin because I was worried they’d miss the beauty in it.

Then I danced. It was a 30 minute celebration of life and Fridayness and of February.

Then I ran. No zero basal because with all the dancing and walking and talking, I just covered stuff with carbs. Plus, it was a really short run. My BG as I put on shoes was a 100. It was an 82 maybe 3 minutes later as I started the treadmill. I did 23g of carbs… only because of the dancing and the likelihood of a fast drop. I also decided I’d see how far 23 grams would take me on a slow and easy run… my first attempt at experimenting at a lower number rather than just ensuring I didn’t drop. At mile 1, I was a 73. I decided I felt fine and was fine and could probably get to mile 2 before testing again. At mile 2 I was a 61. I decided to see what would happen in a mile if I did another 23 g (because I was starting to feel it) but along with .5 units of insulin. I felt 23g was too much, but I didn’t have any way to do less. So 23 grams and .5 units of insulin, and a mile later I finished at a 63. By the time I sat down to take off my shoes (maybe 2 minutes later), I was back to 80. Did a little more insulin for good measure, and put my music back on. :smiley:

Off to go help people appreciate the silence around them. :smiley:

3 Likes

As a very general rule, while running, insulin can be anywhere from 2.5 to 5 times more powerful. Longer runs will amplify it more.

So that .5 units you took was maybe more like 1.25 to 1.5 units if you were sitting.

Just a general rule, a way of making adjustments to what you are taking.

Testing and dosing and eating and running at the same time is a great skill set. You are indeed an Elite.

3 Likes

Whoa, another new thing I learned!!:star_struck:

2 Likes

I kind of knew this. A little bit. Although I’m not sure I was applying it correctly before… You know I have a mini-trampoline, right? I used to give myself 1-2 units of insulin and jump for 5 minutes to get it working. It’s not the same thing— in fact it’s faster-acting rather than more potent, but it was a nifty trick. I’m sure there are rules here… general, of course— but how …

I’m not sure what I’m asking. I’ll regroup and come back.

But I’m taking this with me. :smiley:

1 Like

Today’s run… Today was an easy one. It was 50ish minutes at an RPE of 4. Those were the instructions. I was not to exceed an RPE of 4, and I didn’t. I also allowed myself to dip a little during the run, and that was intentional. I’ve gotten very good with knowing when to add some carbs, but I’m interested in learning a little about my limits. So even though I hung in the 60s for some of today’s run, I was trying to understand better when I need those carbs. So just experimenting and learning…

Starting BG:

… oh. And I did have a coffee before today’s run because I couldn’t get away for it until way later than I had planned and I was pretty drained, and that’s my story. This means I had a coffee about 20 minutes before starting and did not do any kind of basal reduction.

Starting BG: 114
Mile 1: 119
Mile 2: 102
(Mile 2.35: started to open a GU to take carbs but decided I would wait. I was thinking to do it because of the fact I had plenty of run ahead of me, no zero basal behind me, and at a “low” BG for exercise. That’s the silly thinking though. I countered that thinking by considering that 102 was not low at all, and that with such a slow and light workout, I was not likely to plummet)
Mile 3: “guessed” I was 76. Actual BG was 78. This time I decided to have the 23 grams of carbs.
Mile 4: 65
Mile 4.8: tested early because a little nervous… “guessed” 71. Actual BG was 69.
Mile 5.6: 62. Ate 2 glucose tablets, walked 1/2 mile, and got off at a BG of 95.

RPE 4.

Read em and weep. :smiley:

4 Likes

There ya go. Exactly what you should be doing. image

:wink:

1 Like

Learning from the best. :heart:

1 Like

Alright, big week coming up for you. Before I post your running for the week, a few very important things to go over.

1. Get everything together that you will need. Don’t wait until Saturday night. Make your list, gather it all together.

2. Make sure you have run a few times with what you will use. Clothes and all. If you are carrying your pump in a SPIBelt, make sure you have tried it out.

3. Get your sleep this week.

4. You will want to have your meter bracelet so you can check many times while you are waiting for the race to start. Don’t test while racing, you will be going too fast. But test every few minutes while you are lined up and waiting for the start.

5. The only thing you need while running is nothing. But you will need your pump a few minutes before. So if you can hand it off to someone, that’s fine. If not, plan on carrying it. You will not have enough time to use it, and put it in your car. If someone will be there with you, hand it off. If not, have a pocket or SPIBelt to put it in.

6. Have one syringe pre-loaded for before the race. I will go over that with you. It will be easier to use a syringe.

7. Weather looks like a short sleeve shirt under a long sleeve shirt, and shorts, hat, and gloves. That’s what you should run in. You will be cold for one minute, and then you won’t feel it. You want the engine kept cool. Do not over-dress. Get a cheap hat you can discard midway if you are feeling warm.

8. Get a cheap zippered parka you can discard at the start. You can get them for a few bucks at Walmart. Buy one with the plan to toss it and lose it. Zippered will make it easier.

9. Get your sleep this week. I know I said it already. I am saying it again. Get your sleep. Particularly on Thursday and Friday night.

10. Eat smart this week. Eat well, but don’t over-stuff. Eat light on Saturday.

11. You need a sugar drink in a bottle with a top. You need to know what one ounce is when you take a sip. Practice it with water this week. Practice so you know exactly how to sip one ounce. Read this post.

12. And you need an easy-to-eat 20-25 gram rapid carb source that won’t be nasty. I recommend Huma gels. But you already know that.

13. The runs this week need to be followed. Do not cannibalize your race because you do not like a fraction of a mile or something. 30 minutes means 30 minutes, not 35 or 40. Quarter-mile repeats are not half-mile repeats.

14. Drink plenty of water on Friday and Saturday. Not much Sunday morning.

15. I will give you a plan for race fueling and insulin dosing later this week.

16. Get your sleep.

17. Turn off the automated monkey-business with basal on your pump as soon as you wake up. Leave your basal on all morning before the race. Don’t let it suspend. If you are low, sip some sugar beverage. Do not screw with basal that morning.

We are going to put the diabetes away for 20 minutes or so. It won’t be a problem. But just get to the starting line flat and in range, that’s all you have to do. If you do that, there will not be any diabetes for 3.1 miles, I promise. It will not be a factor.

Questions?

4 Likes

Not yet… but I did just scan to the bottom so I wouldn’t get overwhelmed. :grimacing:

I’m gonna go start at the top now and see what is going on in there.

But just so there’s no misunderstanding in my tone, thank you for taking the time with that. :heart:

1 Like

Crap. Forgot something.

1. Turn off the automated monkey-business with basal on your pump as soon as you wake up. Leave your basal on all morning before the race. Don’t let it suspend. If you are low, sip some sugar beverage. Do not screw with basal that morning.

(edited my post and added it above)

1 Like

So many questions and also none at all.

They’re coming though…

Sorry, had to edit the days. I forgot the race is Sunday, not Saturday.

1 Like

On Friday or Saturday we go over your pacing strategy and pre-race insulin dosing, and also we will have a little pre-race pep-talk. I can post it here or do it on the phone, whichever you want.

No core work this week! Only daily stretching.

Week 12 - Race Week:
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monday, 2/11
Pace Work

1/2 mile warmup @ 9:00-10:00 pace

6 Repeats:

• 1/4 mile @ 7:08 pace (8.4 mph)
  • 1/4 mile recovery @ 10:00 pace (6.0 mph)

1/2 mile cooldown @ 9:00-10:00 pace

Total today = 4.0 miles

Tuesday, 2/12
30 minute Easy Run with Fast Finish

25 minutes @ 9:00-10:000 pace
5 minutes @ 7:30 pace (8.0 mph)

Wednesday, 2/13
Rest day, stretch only
(And Happy Birthday, Cupcake!!!)

Thursday, 2/14
Pickups

2 miles @ 10:00 pace, with 8 pickups
During the run, bump the speed up to 8.5 mph for a short little 15-30 second burst. 15-30 seconds only! Do that every quarter mile or so, 8 times during the run. We just want to wake up the white muscle fibers a little bit.

Friday, 2/15
Rest day, stretch only

Saturday, 2/16
Final gear check.

15 minute easy run @ 10:00 pace, with 4 pickups at 8.5 mph. 15-30 seconds only!

Sunday, 2/17
Race Day!

2 Likes

The race is Sunday?!

How about you tell me! :grinning:

1 Like

So it is Sunday. :thinking: Glad we had this talk. I was going on Saturday. :grin:

We’ll chat this week, right?? We can pick a good time to talk? I’d love it if you’d post just so it’s all in here, but I’m sure I’ll have questions… so if you don’t mind doing it by phone, that would be nice.

:heart::hugs:

I’m nervous and excited and looking forward to the running this week! I’m surprised. I thought it would be a whole lotta nothing, but it’s not.

Okay. Back to my list now.

4 Likes

Had a great run today. I did have a coffee about 45 minutes beforehand though which I know is inside what I was working toward, but I was low… and then I danced off the spike. :smiley: So coffee and a pre-run dance (a little one), and two back to back fingersticks prior to starting showed me at 101 and 106. I figured I was good.

Starting BG: 103
End of warm up: 89
First recovery: 75
*had 23 g of carbs
Second recovery: skipped
Third recovery: 67
*held off on carbs since I knew that 23 would be working for a while
Fourth recovery: 64
*held off on carbs since I STILL believed that 23 could be working and because I was feeling fine
Fifth recovery: 56
*Finally had my carbs. It was late in the run, but I still had one rep left and recovery + cooldown. Took 23 g of carbs and .5 unit of insulin
Sixth recovery: 54
1/2 mile cool down and was a 68 getting off of the treadmill.

I know this is still probably borderline low for a run? Maybe? But I am trying to learn how my body feels at these numbers. These were very short distances, and I’m learning there’s not a big chance of my plummeting between the beginning of the lap and the end of it. I’m learning I have time to make a decision. And although it’s very possible it won’t always be true, it’s certainly been true consistently enough that I’m getting comfortable with the idea. I could’ve had carbs at any time to give myself a bump, but I honestly didn’t need them.

Also, I’m trying to get a handle on my post-run numbers, and I’m doing better there, too. If I can cut back some of the unnecessary carbs during the run, it’ll certainly make that task easier. Today I did .5 unit with 3/4 mile left, then another .5 unit when I saw the 68 but was done with the workout, and then another .5 unit when I saw a 92 10 minutes later. Even with that insulin, I rose to a 136 within 25 minutes, so I chose a 2 unit IM. I came home at a 90, did another unit because bananas can lead to a nasty spike, and had my banana. I’m at 101 now, and I’m very pleased. Each one of these pieces is important… the pre-run, the run, and the post. I’ve got some serious work to do on that pre-run piece, but I’m doing okay in the other two categories.

Oh, and RPE… 5.5? 6?? It was an easy run! :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I love this!

Running with these numbers is not the horror show everyone makes it out to be, is it? :smiley:

What do you do when you are in the 50’s in the middle of a run? Take some carbs and keep going. :wink:

You are seriously flirting with the Dark Side here. image

That 7:08 pace was easy, right? No problem, there?

Hit that insulin hard after the run. All those carbs are gonna catch up with you. Plus the insulin allows you to do better with the post-run fueling.

A little bigger bolus when you are done, plus some protein & carbs, and you will never see north of 100.

What was happening with your basal during the run? Off?

No, not “okay”. Great!

2 Likes

:blush: Like music to my ears.

It really, really isn’t. Now… I think this is completely different with a bunch of insulin on board, or if you’re falling fast, but not all 56s pack the same potential. I did not feel in danger at my 56 today. I didn’t feel bad at all. And I was in the middle of a workout still… so that’s a new thing for me. I think if it hadn’t been for the faster paced laps, I could’ve easily stretched that 56 to the end. I may have been able to do it today, but I’m not positive. I’m still trying to understand what GU actually does to my blood sugar because it seems to have a kind of prolonged effect… It seems to provide both a sort of rescue rise but also a slower one as well. Unless it’s skmethjng happening with my blood sugar behind the scenes… which is obviously very possible.

It’s what all the kids say until they get arrested, but it just feels right.

Easy. :blush:

I’m inching my way in that direction. I was being a little more aggressive a couple of weeks ago— maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago, and then I had a couple of big crashes. I’m back to being a little tentative again, but that’s okay. I’m doing multiple smaller shots, which is also kind of doing the trick, but it’s a higher maintenance approach. I believe in hitting the insulin hard right afterwards, I’ve just gotta find that comfort zone again. I’m getting there.

Not quite. This has kind of become a mental block. I’m not sure why I’m stuck here, but I am. It’s bexause everything leading up to the run is a little awkward— very difficult to try to get locked into the zero basal stuff with a pretty unpredictable schedule. So I’ve gotten quite good at doing patchwork… and now I’m afraid to mix in the suspend. My brain cannot find the value in shutting it down when I know I won’t see the immediate effect… It’s my brain putting its foot down but like in a 5 year old unreasonable way. I’d like an adult to step up here, but I don’t know any. :grin:

I’ll be right back…

3 Likes