DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

:frowning::pleading_face::sob:

And I thought we were friends?? :grin:

There was no silence. I just hadn’t read it yet. I was too busy thinking about the Eye of Sauron and all its lure and peril. :grin:

1 Like

I hope we meet someday. We’ll do pizza, a long walk, and an even longer talk about what it all means… whatever it is. :sunrise_over_mountains:

1 Like

Me, too.

1 Like

I’m in?!

This is perfect because I’ve been without a job for a long time and really wanted a title more fine tuned than know it all. :smiley: I’m signing my next note to my endo Nicky Ghaleb, Elite Diabetic. And you think I’m kidding…

This lesson has been a slow one to learn, and I have a feeling I’m still far from understanding it all. I’m learning how to have diabetes without being diabetic. Some days these numbers are so easy to fix it makes me feel like I’m cheating… like it should be harder. So many things in my head these days. Just good things. I’ve been around long enough to know it won’t always be this way, but I’m accumulating a lot of skills and a lot of confidence as I head through this part, and this experience will never hurt me.

Too serious here. Must go make fun of myself or my children…

3 Likes

:heart: But seriously… if you only knew. :smiley:

1 Like

Which is why… I do sometimes wonder if you actually have diabetes. :smiley: I’m working on something for you. It’s my turn. And I absolutely, 100% believe you knew I was going to get this and were even willing to put up with all of my jokes and crying and injuries and chip-binges along the way. Holy cult leader, Batman… I’m a believer.

Sorry. It’s what I do even in the middle of the most sincere thank you in the world— I joke. I wish I wouldn’t. Your gifts, Eric… I don’t know how to thank you for them.

:heart:

2 Likes

I am very happy with what you did last week. Hope you are ready for week 8.

Is Saturday January 26th pretty much open for you?

Before I post that, I want to tell you something.

When you are not running, feel free to look wherever you want. Look forward, look straight down, look backward, look all around. Look wherever you want. Enjoy looking around.

But when you are running, I only want you to look forward. Do not try to look backward at where you were. If you look backward while running you will stumble. When you are running, only look at what is right in front of you.

On a couple of these runs you will need to put in your angry eyes.

Week 8:
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monday, 1/14
LT Training

1/2 mile warmup @ 9:00-10:00 pace

3 Repeats:

• 1 mile @ 7:30 pace (8.0 mph)
  • 1/2 mile @ 10:00 pace (6.0 mph)

(The last rep at 6.0 mph also works as your cooldown. Total today = 5 miles, counting warmup)

Tuesday, 1/15
40 minute Easy Run

9:30-10:000 pace

Wednesday, 1/16
Rest day, stretch and core only

Thursday, 1/17
800’s

1/2 mile warmup @ 9:00-10:00 pace

5 Repeats:

• 1/2 mile @ 7:19 pace (8.2 mph)
  • 1/2 mile recovery @ 10:00 pace (6.0 mph)

(The last rep at 6.0 mph also works as your cooldown. Total today = 5.5 miles, counting warmup)

Friday, 1/18
25 minute Recovery Run
10:00 pace

Saturday, 1/19
75 minute long run with fast finish

• 60 minutes @ 10:00 pace (6.0 mph)
  • Last 15 minutes at increased pace, just go by feel, RPE of 6-7 max

Sunday, 1/20
Rest day, stretch and core only

2 Likes

This feels reminiscent of Saw… You know it??

Answer first why and then I’ll tell you that it is. Every Saturday is pretty much open for me… as long as it’s a good invitation. I’ve got nothing to wear though. Not a thing.

Metaphorically speaking? Or literally? I’m not being funny…

Literally?? I can’t tell if this is like your no more chips Yoda talk or if you’re actually worried I’m going to fall. It’s genius either way. :grin:

I hope I own some. I might have to re-evaluate my music selection. I think I’ll do that. Clean out the Justin Bieber.

JUST kidding. Please.

Can’t wait. :grin:

1 Like

Trust your instinct on what you think I am saying.

Are we done? If we are done, spend all week 8 looking backward.

If we are not done, spend week 8 looking forward.

No, that really isn’t my thing. I know what it is, but I have not seen any of them.

Doesn’t matter, nobody will see you.

:grinning:

1 Like

Okay.

And okay.

So what’s happening on the 26th??

1 Like

Jan 26 I want you to run a time-trial.

Wake up early, have breakfast 2 hours before your run, 30 grams of quality carbs. Keep an eye on your BG, watch it closely, and then 2 hours after eating, a very short quick run.

Nothing to it.

1 Like

Just any very short quick run??

1 Like

I think you know the answer to that.
:grinning:

No. It will be specific.

1 Like

I did know the answer. Just checking though. :grin:

1 Like

My run today was great. I had a million things I wanted to write about while I was in the middle of it and even afterwards, and now I can’t remember what all they were. But I believe in the power of talk and have a feeling it’ll come to me once I start. :grin:

I know what I wanted to say first— my overnight basals. I realized this has been the second morning of near solid suspends leading into the time I woke up. This was also the second heavy sleep I was in around that time, which means I wasn’t hitting back with glucose tabs…which is what I usually do… which MEANS I think it’s time for a small basal reduction— maybe around 3 am. Tonight probably wouldn’t be the best night to try to confirm anything because of the run today, but I think I’ve got enough to go on, and I’d love a little less suspending and a little more easy coasting when I get up. I started with this because today was the second day that I woke up with that awkward mix of too much suspend behind me, not enough caffeine in me, and the desire to have no insulin on board… and no flexibility in schedule. But I did what I needed and got it to work and started my run at a 74.

And now it’s all coming back. :grin: So a 74 but with no insulin on board, and I had managed to get about 40 minutes of zero basal. I had a banana just before turning on the machine and started right away. I knew my numbers were good (which is what kept concern at bay), but I also felt just a little wobbly on the first mile. Wobbly but not bad. Because of all of that stuff on Saturday’s run, I knew I was okay… and honestly felt pretty good, but it was that twilight phase… I was maybe a quarter of a mile in when I decided I would add some more carbs. I didn’t think I was going to see a horrendous spike from it (or hoped not) and realized to err on the other side would mean dropping low and just feeling tired on a tough run. I had 20 grams of carbs more, and by 3/4 of a mile in, my head began to clear— and then my legs… and you know how it goes. First mile RPE was maybe a 6. It was easy enough that I began writing this post in my head. :grin: Recovery was just right. And then it was onto the next mile.

Second mile was an RPE of maybe 6 for the majority with a little more difficulty in the end— a 6.5?? Still writing my post in the head, I was trying to figure out how to tell you the workout may have been too easy… but that’s a rookie move, complaining of the intensity of a workout before it’s over. :grin: My blood sugar (according to Dexcom and Libre) was 86. They agreed. I know they both could’ve been wrong, but I felt comfortable that I probably wasn’t a 200. I also felt comfortable that I didn’t need any more carbs. Recovery was relaxing and pleasant and invigorating. :dancer:t2:

Third mile started at about an RPE of 7 but was at a 7.5 by the end of the first quarter. It was still good. I felt strong and capable… and stable… and knew I would just have to get it done. I like distractions while I run, and I try to alternate them to help me pass the time, but sometimes I get to a point I just need my brain to dig in. It’s what I had to do for the last couple of minutes… and finished at about an RPE of a high 8. So it was great, but I was already revising my bit about how it was too easy. :grin:

As I started my cooldown, both Libre and Dexcom were showing a little elevation. I didn’t want to overdo it, but I highly dislike those highs (and roller coasters) after exercise. I took out my pump and gave myself a unit and a half— and hoped it would get moving right away since I still had a half mile left. When I got off the treadmill, my BG fingerstick was a 94. :hugs: And I’ve been gelling since. About an hour after I had finished, I put myself at a 75% temp basal— again, because I would really like to avoid the roller coaster. I’m hoping that by softening the delivery a little, I might be able to avoid a sharp crash and consequent rebound. I’ve been sitting happy between a 75 and 120 since.

Dang. I’m in a good mood. :grin:

3 Likes

Sounds wonderful!

Tell me what nutrition you are taking after you finish. I hope you are eating something afterward!

Yes, you need to reduce your basal in the evening, like you mentioned. Definitely do that.

Taking insulin while running and before you have finished - that’s l33t. :wink:

Good stuff today.

Tell me about the food stuff. Before is just a banana? And what about afterward?

Correction: high 7. Sorry.

I have not forgotten about the nutrition stuff you wanted me to do. I just haven’t done it. :grin: I think about it all day long…Anyway before the run I had a breakfast of eggs and coffee and then had a banana just before starting. After the run I had another banana about 30 minutes after finishing, a salad for lunch, a non-dairy yogurt (19g of carbs), an applesauce for a snack and another banana a couple of hours later. And a piece of cheese. I’m having a little chicken soup for dinner… and maybe some cheese and pickles for snack. :grin: Don’t judge.

:thinking:

You winked… but I have no idea what that means. Should I know??

1 Like

And thank you. :hugs:

1 Like

It means you are among the best now.

y0u 4r3 4n 3l173

or

`/0() 4|23 4|\| 3|!73

1 Like