DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Wonderful stuff today!
:a::heavy_plus_sign:

I strongly suspect that 235 was from your body responding to the work. Exactly what we need to see on this type of run. Be very aggressive on the insulin after these runs, anytime you are over 7.5 RPE from speed.

This was hard work and you got it done. You burned about 200 grams worth of glucose. I hope you ate well today. Tonight you have the potential to be dropping all night, so get yourself a good bedtime snack and adjust basal accordingly.

Perfect stuff. Hope you enjoyed it!
:grinning:

1 Like

And should I leave on a temp basal overnight?? Tonight I tried a 70% temp, and I think it still wasn’t a big enough cut. It looks like I’m starting to fall now, too.

Just saw you said “adjust basal accordingly” which partly answers my question. I’ll cut it, but what’s “accordingly”?? I don’t want to float tonight either. Is 20% reduction good enough?? Do you think??

Depends on how much you ate after the run and for dinner! How many g’s of carbs did you eat today? Very little of your run today was fat. Probably almost all carb!

If you did not eat enough, you need to make a bigger cut.

1 Like

Pure luck… I went with 80% until 4:30 am, and I had a solid night without alarms or drama of any kind. I know it was pure luck because it was a yo yo right up until I passed out. Whatever though. I’ll take it. :grin:

2 Likes

Had a very nice run today. I went out for it because the weather was too nice to be ignored. Ran 4.57 miles in 40 minutes at an RPE of about 5.5-6. Maybe 6.5 at times. I know you said 4 on easy runs, but it just wasn’t easy. It was nice and not easy. My legs were tired from yesterday, and my hips… were a little tight. There was even a little intermittent pinching on my right in some of those old areas. It didn’t bother me much, but I was aware. I kept my cadence up and tried focusing, but I was a little beat. I’ll tell you, being on the treadmill as much as I am is also spoiling me. Those hills out there, when you’ve been away, are mountains.

BG was a little high. I ate my banana at the start again but forgot to keep it for when I was near the street. So I ate it and then walked half a mile, and I was at a 178 on my G6— which may have been even higher in reality. The first 2 miles showed me rising above a 200 (220), and then I was falling by just over 3. I returned at a ~70. (You know that squiggly line is just an approximation, right, @Eric?) :smiley:

No carbs during the run and then all was well for most of the afternoon— better than after yesterday’s run— though I did have a pretty big crash. Have mostly had it on lockdown since.

What else?

2 Likes

This is a step in the right direction. This was better than last Tuesday’s RPE of 7.

Good stuff.

Rest Wednesday. Work hard on Thursday.

1 Like

Okay. It has been a good day. My numbers are all behaving today, and that’s a lovely thing.

My run:

Nailed it. :smiley: Did it all as prescribed, and it felt great. RPE probably around 6-6.5 for the first mile, 7 for the 3/4, 7.5-8 for the 1/2, and hard 8 for the 1/4 mile. But not a bad hard 8… it was a great 8, but I was just working.

BG:
So here’s the story…
I was ready to start at a 113. I did do an hour of ZB prior since we talked about maybe trying to own the pre-run rather than going in a little in the dark (with suspends and whatnot). So I did my hour, BG looked great, all ready to go, got on the treadmill, started it up, then looked at the workout. I realized I was supposed to put up my numbers/markers on the treadmill this time so I wouldn’t have to do the math while running. By the time I came back with it, my BG was a 178. So that was too bad because it did look, according to Libre and Dex, like my BG rose to about a 200 (maybe higher) before plateauing and then slowly dropping. The good news is that I never needed any carbs at any point, and that was GREAT because I think I saw that cortisol spike you drone on and on about there at the end. :wink: In all seriousness, I dropped from a 200ish to about a 150 at about 3.5 miles in, but since you told me to be careful with the late run carbs, I decided to try to make it to the end without anything. Within minutes, I was back at a 175 and then on my way back up to a 220 right as I was finishing. I did a 2.5 unit IM for it with the thinking that I wanted something more immediate than a sleepy pump dose. That held really well, and now almost 2 hours later, I’m at 95 with a gentle sway. :smiley:

My hips have been the tiniest bit tight for the last couple of days, so I was nervous that they weren’t going to feel right during the run, but they were solid. Cadence was great, too.

Great, great, great. Can’t get much more annoying than that. :smiley:

Did I miss anything?

1 Like

Great stuff. :star:

Good to see what your RPE’s were for each segment.

Can’t tell on the spike. Could have been just from the long ZB before. We need to see it at some point where it is unmistakable.

But today looks perfect. Happy to see this. Keep working it!
:grinning:

1 Like

Oh, and I meant to include that I didn’t have any coffee within 2 hours of starting— now I did have it 2 hours and one minute before starting, but that was through no fault of my own, and my recoveries today felt frickin perfect. This has never been the case for me. Recoveries have always felt like just prolonging death for another couple of minutes, but today they felt like what you would hope a true recovery to feel like. I would be tired for maybe the first 10 seconds, and by the end, I’d be ready to go. They were pleasant. I’ve never had a run that has required recoveries where the recoveries have felt pleasant.

I did just have a jumbo coffee to make up for my missed coffee today and feel like I could talk about recovery forever, but really, I know when I’ve said enough. :grin:

1 Like

One of the cool tricks is that we will gradually increase your recovery speed so that you get accustomed to recovering at a higher pace. Imagine how easy your recoveries felt today, and imagine getting that to 9:30, then 9:00, then 8:30, etc.

Also, on Saturday you are running at recovery pace. So the Saturday run will feel the same way - easy!

2 Likes

I’m almost starting to believe the things you say. Very close…

1 Like

Just wait until after the Saturday run. Remember how Monday and Thursday felt. Remember how you felt tired on Tuesday. And then see how you feel after Saturday and look at my comment for the Saturday run.

1 Like

Didn’t report on yesterday’s run… and it’s already a faded memory. From what I can remember, it was easy going. I think I started around a 140, which was too high, but I didn’t take carbs during, and I finished at maybe a 120. I went 2.5 miles at an RPE of 4 max. I think it may have actually been a 1.5. :thinking:

I’m coming back to tell you about today’s run. It was a beauty.

2 Likes

It’s late, and I should probably do this tomorrow, but I’ve been wanting to write it since 3:00 this afternoon— right around the time I wrapped up my run. So I’ll start it and hope I don’t fall asleep in the middle of it but keep writing. I’ve been known to do that.

On the schedule today was a 75 minute run @ 10:00 minutes a mile for a total of 7.5 miles. I have yet to do that as an adult. My longest run— on the day I got into the car for North Carolina and then didn’t walk for 2 weeks— was 7.1 miles. Or thereabouts. Whatever it was, it wasn’t 7.5, but I also wasn’t worried about it today because you said it was going to be my easiest run of the week… And I believed you :smiley:

It was the easiest run of the week, it was the most wonderful run of the week, and it left my head full of questions and thoughts and realizations and longings and gratitude. It was that good of a run.

But first, I’ll tell you about the morning because it wasn’t perfect. I told you the other day I’d use this Saturday to get myself back onto the Zero Basal for an hour prior to the run. I also told you I wouldn’t have any coffee for at least 2 hours before the run. It all made sense and sounded easy enough when I was working it out on paper. Last night though was tough, and my head hurt through the night, and I just couldn’t sleep well… which meant I wasn’t awake this morning to see out the plan as discussed. My BG was excellent when I opened my eyes, but it looked like a total of a couple of hours’ of suspends had gathered just before I woke. I knew it would make me climb (because I’ve seen this scenario just a few times on the 670), but I couldn’t just ride the rise because I really wanted some coffee. Needed some coffee. My head was just clouded and sore, and there was no way I was starting a run in that shape, perfect opportunity or not. So with a good BG with a potentially ugly rise ahead, the need for some caffeine (and its additional spike), but the wish to avoid putting any insulin into my system just in time for a long run, I did the only thing I could think to do, and that was to give myself a 2.5 unit IV shot. Within an hour, I was properly caffeinated, my BG had fallen back to a very comfortable number, and I had no insulin on board. I have yet to use this before exercise and will continue to work on hammering out a good pre-run schedule, but sometimes diabetes is patchwork, and today it was just right.

So I started my run at a 107. I set my timer for 75 minutes and began at 10 minutes a mile. I didn’t need a thing until almost 4 miles in when I needed my first bit of carbs. The first part of the run, RPE of maybe 4, was easy. Really easy. The toughest part was finding something to do with my mind because there was little distraction available. Even though that was the case, my body was so at ease that I was tolerating the little bit of boredom. There was still plenty to tend to— like checking my Dexcom, checking my cadence, messing with the fan… The little tasks and the music were enough to help the miles feel like they were passing by. At just around 4 miles though, I found I was getting tired. It was not quite as easy, and I couldn’t help but think of the fact that I had just started, in effect, my second run. I don’t like those kinds of thoughts… overwhelmed is not the most productive feeling. I also noticed the music was too tinny and too loud, and the temperature wasn’t right… and then realized that I was probably low. Checked my Dexcom and Libre, and they agreed.

I know this is the longest write up in the history of training notes, but I have to put it here. So if you need a nap, I’ll just wake you at the end. :smiley:

Anyway, I still had a bag of Extreme Energy Beans, or whatever, so I ate probably 8 grams’ of carbs. I thought that would hold, but as I shuffled along, I continued to feel just a little tired and just a little low… but not a little demoralized, not a little scared, and not like I might need to quit. In fact, as I moved along, I realized this was just diabetes that I was feeling, and I was relieved. I can’t explain this, but the thought was magical. It was just diabetes… and this was better than it being exhaustion or pain from running. It was better than the alternative. Better! Never has diabetes been the better option when I’m evaluating a possible cause for something. Never have I thought, Oh, I hope it’s just diabetes. But I did today. I was glad it was diabetes that was making me drag along a little rather than being truly tired from the run. I realized I can fix my diabetes much easier than I can fix my endurance. And I ate a few more carbs and noticed that where my brain had felt like it had vacated only a few minutes before, it was on the mend, and where my feet had felt like they were not my own just a few minutes before, I could feel them strike the ground again… I was finding my legs and my stride and my head and my path. And then there was the best part of one of my favorite songs, and it was starting to sound good again, and amidst all of these things taking place at once, I realized I was smiling. Almost 5 miles in, and I was smiling. I love when I find myself smiling in the middle of a run. You just can’t buy that kind of moment.

I know this is corny, and I hope no one reads it, but I want it all in here with stories of running and other mishaps. Anyway, the rest of the run was that… a lot of smiles and ease and joy and accomplishment. And where there had been just the slightest sense of duty in the first part of the run, there was not so much as a drop of it in the end. There was no only 15 minutes left or 2 more miles… not a thought, and that realization planted the idea that maybe fear plays an important role in pain, and that pain and discomfort without fear is just not as powerful. Today I felt a little tired and went a little low, but neither scared me. I never was concerned I wouldn’t be able to sort it out, and I never was concerned I wouldn’t be able to finish, so I just fixed it and continued on.

I finished at a BG of 126. My hips were rock solid… but I didn’t run 7.5 miles. I ran 8 and could’ve run 10. It wasn’t my brain or body that made me turn it off but a spot of guilt over not sticking to the run as written.

Today it felt like I needed a little bandaid for my diabetes. It was a little irritated and could use a quick fix. This is worlds away from where I was when I felt like nothing could fix my diabetes. And that really was not long ago. I love what you’re doing to my brain, @Eric. I hope you know this. Now I must sleep. :crescent_moon::sparkles:

3 Likes

That insight confirms your entry into the ranks of the elite diabetics. Steering BG is in the same emotional category as steering a bicycle or car: just pay attention and do it.

3 Likes

This was a wonderful write-up. So many things happened in your Saturday run. And everything happened exactly right.

This was exactly what I wanted you to get. The understanding that there are a 100 things you have to worry about with running - pacing, hydration, body strength, training, mental aspects, etc. And diabetes is one of the least significant things of all of them. So damn small now, isn’t it?

You found that on Saturday, which makes it perfect.

:arrow_up: Yes! I know exactly what you are describing. A little drop, some carbs, and then a few minutes later it all comes back and you are in the right place again.

:roll_eyes: Behave.

:blush:

I am not doing anything. You are doing it all.

I knew all of this about you months ago. And now you know it too.
:wink:

2 Likes

Okie dokie, now @Nickyghaleb’s my role model. I want to be like Nicky.

3 Likes

Give me a chance to mess up first… I’m not usually like this. :grin:

2 Likes

You’ve been a train wreck for a while but it looks promising now! Just think what shape I’m in if you’re inspiring me! :yum::yum:

(Said with the utmost sarcasm and sincerity out of love!) :heart::heart:

Edit: Hmmm…silence to my teasing is making me hope I didn’t poke too much…

2 Likes