DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Is this grown up code, or did you lift this from your children?? I just spent 8 minutes of my life trying to figure out what that was. :grin:

So how am I doing on the nutrition?? Or were you expecting numbers rather than a food story,? :grin:

I would love to get the number of carb grams before and after your runs, and the number of grams of carbs, fat, and protein and total calories for your typical days.

Numbers would help a lot!
:wink:

You are doing great on your runs, BTW.

1 Like

Thank you. :blush:

Okay. I will TRY to figure it out now.

1 Like

Does that say, “You are on fire” or am I having an emergency of some sort? Or “You are an elite”

1 Like

Well done, Allison
\/\/3|| |)0|\|3, 4||!50|\|

1 Like

:grinning::slight_smile:

I could only get calculators to say inappropriate things back in the day. This is much more advanced. It’s Eric’d.

1 Like

Okay, @Eric, this is what I came up with… How’s it looking??

1 Like

Can you do this for a few days? That would help us know better. Just try to pick a few “typical” days.

1 Like

I can. Like 3 days??

Sure, that’s fine.

Is the one above just part of you day? Not the whole day, right?

What app is that?

Not sure I am following their recommendation on saturated vs unsaturated fats. Or maybe I’m just not understand how they are showing it.

1 Like

This is close to the whole day. This whole day. Sometimes I triple that. :grin:

The app is MyFitnessPal, and I have no idea how it works. I just put in the info… as much as I have. That might be why you can’t figure out how the days stuff is working— I keep leaving it blank. :grin:

Why does it look like they only want you to have saturated fat?

1 Like

I didn’t even notice that. I was too busy making up numbers. :grin:

Don’t lie to me. I am not your endo.
:grinning:

Seriously, we need good numbers here. Otherwise there is no point to it.

2 Likes

They’re good numbers— trust me. :wink:

So the problem with you guys messing with my head and getting me thinking about my elite status is that on JUST day one, it was not elite-like at all. :smiley:

I was back on schedule this morning and managed to get a full hour of ZB before starting my run. Because of this, when I started at a BG of 94, I thought I didn’t need any carbs up front. I’m not sure why I thought that. In addition to that poor choice, now that I’m an elite diabetic, I then decided not to pay any attention to the handful of symptoms of a low I was experiencing just 3/4 of a mile in—- because elite diabetics don’t go low. You guys need to be careful with your easy compliments. You have no idea what they can do to a simple mind. ANYWAY, I had already decided before starting that I didn’t need the carbs upfront, and that I wouldn’t need anything until about a 1.5 to 2 miles in. Predetermination is silly business with diabetes, and the consequences of knowing too much too soon is that by the time I realized I really was just low, it was a little late. It didn’t destroy the run, but it put me up for about 2 miles of that hypoglycemic moonwalk running that is not my favorite. And I just kept going on like that because my mind was still sold on the fact I did not need any more carbs and just wouldn’t listen to what my body was saying. I was also being pretty ridiculous with my priorities, as long as I’m listing all of my mistakes, and was suddenly prudish about having any caffeine— which happened to be what was in the only GU on my treadmill. Like I’m afraid of caffeine. :woman_facepalming: I’m rambling. My point is that I didn’t do any kind of preemptive strike today with the carbs, and then refused to believe my symptoms, and THEN put off treatment with the only option I had because of a silly standard that was just implemented two days ago. How’s that l33t honor looking now?

The rest of the run was just kind of comically bad but not because the run was bad. I managed to reach a glucose liquid shot on the shelf behind the treadmill and decided I’d have that instead of having more caffeine, then opened it and spilled half of it on myself and treadmill. Stuff like that. That’s how it pretty much went for 4.5 miles, but the run still wasn’t bad. Just everything else was. :smiley:

There was still good stuff today, and I figured I’d share it. It was a new idea for me. I’ve heard people talking about mood stuff that goes with the highs and lows, and I’m somewhat aware of it, but I’ve never given it too much thought. I realized again today, as I tried to work my way through the low, that I really am hypersensitive to sensory stimuli when I’m crashing. And on the treadmill (maybe a harder crash?), I can be acutely so. I always thought whatever mood stuff people were talking about was a true reflection of mood, but I thought today that maybe it’s not. Maybe my brain, which has had to pull back whatever resources its got to stop me from dying, just has little bandwidth to filter life as it tries to get in. So for just those couple of minutes, and hopefully not longer, I just can’t be nice. My brain is doing whatever it can to keep us going. It’s not a mood dip at all but a survival tactic.

Isn’t that deep? Aren’t you glad I shared? :smiley: I know how badly you’d like me to finish writing about my run so you can go ponder the greater meaning of it all…You’re welcome. :smiley:

RPE was about a 5, but only during the moonwalking, and was less than that when my blood sugar recovered. Started at a 94 and finished at 130… so great that I spilled half my drink… and did another 1.5 unit bolus with about 1/2 mile left so as to avoid a big rebound. Disaster averted, I’ve been at about a 100 since.

On a positive note (and, really, it was all positive), I will say that this last couple of weeks has done wonders for my relationship with time during my runs. I won’t explain because I’d be here all night, but it’s the constant change between thinking of a certain amount of time as good or not as good that has helped me stop worrying about the time at all. I had less than 10 minutes left today before I found my feet, and it felt like no time had passed at all and not enough time was left. I was tempted to run longer, but I wrapped my head around this thought: I had 40 minutes today that went a little to my mileage, a little to my disease, and a lot to my understanding and outlook. And I turned my machine off and was happy.

I’ll get back to just talking about the running, but it’s kind of been a big couple of days around here and was just letting myself think aloud about it.

5 Likes

You are cracking me up tonight as I ignore my random number generator friend and just test every seven minutes for eight hours. I had your advice right, right?? :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

Oh, that’s great. :rofl:

And you laugh, but I swear you’ll get to know your CGM like you never have before. It’s like intensive marriage counseling… if marriage counseling really helped you understand your husband’s behavior any more than you did before paying a lot for it. :thinking:

2 Likes

I think my discovery will be that I need to go off-grid Diabetes Style. Dexcom throws so much fake news at me that it makes me think I’m at the edge of the cliff when literally nothing has happened. I’m going back to my instincts and old routines to see where that gets me. I’m switching sensors tomorrow to one from my newest batch to see if that helps.

(Sorry for the thread hijack!)

1 Like

I don’t believe in those.

I’m very interested in this. This was a regular thing with Medtronic… but almost always with false lows. (Wait until you have a pump that actually suspends its delivery off of this, or calculated your “basal” with it— it’ll make you want to commit hairy scary. :grin:) Anyway, I was hoping it was a thing of the past with the move to Dexcom, but it looks like not quite… Do you want to hear the most interesting thing though?? Twice in the last 2 days, both my Dexcom AND my Libre have all of a sudden taken off like I was on a fast rise, but my finger stick showed nothing of concern. The second time, they both plummeted— a phantom plummet that had nothing to do with my actual BG.

I think they’re all random number generators… That’s my point. Maybe even my beloved … Relion:sob:

3 Likes