DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

5.2 miles. 45 min. Starting BG 91. Ending BG 107.

Not run with love, but give me time.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Perfectly executed. Great job!

Tell me about the BG management today. What did you do to get that? Did you eat anything before starting? What about fueling during the run? How long since your Levemir shot?

Run today with love. At least the first 3 miles.

It’s okay if you run the last 1.5 - 2 miles with some animosity. That means you are pushing yourself the right amount.

As soon as you finish you should feel the love again.

:wink:

1 Like

I was already planning on it. Just wasn’t going to admit it. :wink:

:heart:

1 Like

Okay. Started at a 115, did my half mile warm up, did 4.9 miles in 40 minutes, and ended at a 126.

I did take 3 glucose tablets at the start … and ate SIX at around mile 2.5. :neutral_face: So there was about a mile in the middle that was a little draggy, but then I was feeling good again by 3.3. Also, I did work on everything I got from the gait analysis, and it really is all the difference, but it was work keeping up my cadence today. I did hold it between 90-92, but… just working harder.

Just love, by the way. All 5.5 miles. :grin:

1 Like

Awesome stuff!

What was your RPE?

It’s good to remember this, and next time maybe take in a few carbs earlier before you drop too much.

That drop at 2-3 miles is pretty typical for this type of run. I see it all the time and just try to always be prepared with some carbs.

Just keep that in mind, and at about 15-20 minutes into the run try to have a few carbs.

Quick side note:
The important thing about taking carbs at this point in the run is that one of the derivatives of carb metabolism is oxaloacetate. And oxaloacetate is necessary for the complete oxidation of Acetyl CoA in the Krebs cycle to occur. Which means you get better utilization fat metabolism by having a few carbs.

The end result of a few carbs is better all-around fuel utilization during your run.

Good stuff today!

:100: :heavy_plus_sign:
:star:

6.5… I’m not sure if it was having increased my distance and then being forced to take that long break, but I have been feeling strong. I was tempted to throw in a mile cool down… but promised you I would keep to the schedule.

Okay. And I’m guessing this is because I ended up running after doing my afternoon Levemir dose. The day before I was able to put off that dose and decided to take it an hour late— to try to achieve that “zero basal”. Yeaterday’s timing was off with having to run around doing stuff for my kids. So maybe I can do some preemptive carbs at around mile 2-3 if I have my Levemir on board but not if I don’t? I didn’t need it at all the day before. ??

I prefer my “quick side notes” in English. Now I have to go back to Google Translator… as soon as I figure out what language that is. :grin:

You won’t be on zero basal if you’re taking long acting insulins. I think you meant zero bolus?

1 Like

I would love to hear how this all goes… if you feel like sharing. :two_hearts:

Oh, I am happy to hear that! What a ridiculous couple of months it’s been! 3 months now?? 4?? I hope you take it slow and be patient with yourself and your recovery. There can be a lot of lateral and backwards movement mixed in with that forward progress.

I did not know this. I’m working at picking up my knees a little more and using my core— because apparently I was doing more a crucial stuff-legged hip-jamming shuffle that was less than ideal. :woman_facepalming:

Anyway, hope this finds you well, and good luck on your tests. :cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

No, I actually did mean to say “zero basal”. My mistake maybe was in not saying “near zero basal”. With Eric’s help, I’ve landed on a 3X a day schedule with my Levemir, and I do start to see a significant rise if I’m late in that next dose. In this case, I was trying it out— to see if I could time it so as to use that to my benefit just as I would by cutting out my pump basal an hour before running. It worked really well. Whether or not it’s a true “zero basal”, I have no idea. I’m sure it’s not, but it has got a similar effect. I didn’t take any glucose tablets on my run that day, whereas yesterday, about 2.5 hours into my afternoon Levemir dose, I required a total of 9. Maybe I’m drawing conclusions incorrectly, but I think it makes sense.

1 Like

Interesting. I wouldn’t seem to see much impact from my Levemir injections until a couple hours or so. But you need to go with what’s working for you, so if its working that’s great.

Personally I didn’t see much impact from having Levemir active when exercising, and I would definitely not want to take basal three times a day - I did that with NPH many, many moons ago, but hated it since I had a lot of trouble keeping to the schedule (I’m not good at schedules). I’ve been doing basal twice a day (first Lantus, then Levemir) for decades, but I’m enjoying trying Tresiba once a day - and so far it is working well. Maybe worth trying if you run out of other things to vary and disrupt your stability :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also, Tuesday was a bit more work than Monday. Did you feel that?

The simple way of saying it is that it’s like a candle. The carbs are the wick, and the fat is the wax.

Fat burns in the flame of carbohydrates. By having a small bit of carb metabolism, you are also able to metabolize some fat for fuel.

I was just saying that taking the carbs during the run helped you get energy from multiple sources.

1 Like

This is what I would see everyday on that twice daily schedule. My second dose was due at 6pm., but you can see I was already on the move by then. We tried strengthening the morning dose, but then I had more morning lows. We split it up into 3 doses, and everything is relatively flat. That’s my concern with the Tresiba— I do three doses that fit my different needs throughout the day. You only take Tresiba once a day, right? So it stays at a fairly constant level? I’m not sure how that would work as I take 19 units in the morning, 8 in the afternoon, and 6 at night.

My doctor would love for me to try it, but I’m full up right now I’m trying new things. :grin:

1 Like

Of course. So you think that was all the difference? Here was my thinking about taking the carbs around mile 2-3 without knowing I need them… Sometimes I really don’t need them. Depending on everything that’s in progress as I head out the door, 15g of carbs taken unnecessarily can leave me at a less than ideal ending blood sugar. Sometimes those really give me a hard time for hours to come after I’ve finished my exercise. So my thinking was that yesterday’s run was relatively fresh on my Levemir dose whereas the one on the day before was past when my shot was due. I absolutely agree that yesterday’s run was more intense, but I know my blood sugar starts to push up at my next dose time. I was attributing at least part of the difference in glucose tablet consumption to that timing of Levemir. Is that wrong? Because somewhere in the back of my mind, I’ve been trying to avoid having to take a run on a fresh shot… but maybe that’s not really a thing??

Okay. That makes sense… but if I need them. I don’t want to take them if I don’t need them— That leaves me with a mess.

Since Levemir is not a fast acting insulin, it takes a bit of time to ramp up and to ramp down. If you run right after taking your 2nd Levemir dose, it’s probably about the same as not taking it, at least for a while. But if you are going on an hour long run, it would start to kick in before your run was over.

Yep, there is a big difference in timing. Just 15 minutes can make the difference in a spike or good BG.

Testing as you run will be a big help.

Was yesterday on the treadmill or road?

No, don’t take them if you don’t need them! If you have eaten within 2 hours you still have enough carbs for your body to use.

So let me clarify… because either I’ve misunderstood something, or I’m being unclear. The other day, you mentioned to me that getting in a run just around the time I should be getting my next dose was somewhat like creating the zero basal effect— or, at least, that’s how I understood it. As much as is possible, I’ve been trying to keep that in mind when planning my runs. I interpreted the big difference in how many carbs I needed between the last 2 runs as, in part, a result of the difference in Levemir timing. Here were the two schedules:

Monday:
3:00 pm Levemir DUE (I usually take 8 units around 2:30)
4:10 start run—5.2 miles. 45 min.
Starting BG 91. Ending BG 107.
5:15 pm Do 7 units of Levemir
0 glucose tablets during run

Tuesday:
3:00 pm Levemir due
3:15 pm Do 8 units of Levemir
5:45 pm start run—Started at a 115, did my half mile warm up, did 4.9 miles in 40 minutes, and ended at a 126.
Had 3 glucose tablets at start of run and 6 more at 2.5 miles

The way I saw this was my first run took place past the time my Levemir was due, whereas the second took place on a very fresh shot. My interpretation of that is that one run had less basal than the other, and I absolutely see that rise if I’m late with a shot, so what does that mean for me in regards to my basal status?

Am I making sense??

I did not understand what you meant when you said you were fresh on your Levemir dose. I thought you meant you had just taken it. I see here that it was 2.5 hours, so yes you had basal for this run, which was unlike the previous day.

What I meant is that if your basal is due at 3pm and you take it and immediately start running at 3pm, your basal hasn’t really started yet.

So your numbers here :arrow_down: make total sense:

On Monday you had no basal, and needed no carbs. On Tuesday you had basal for the run and needed 9 gtabs.

So all of these things line up with expectations.

I think the only misunderstanding is that I did not know that Tuesday you took it 2.5 hours before starting. I thought you had taken it right before starting.

Are we on the same page now?