DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

So.
40 minutes
4.4 miles
Starting BG 109
Ending BG 83
Did zero basal for an hour prior to starting and then set it for another hour, but I think it probably turned back on before my run finished. It took a little longer than expected to get out for the run. I had to stop about 3 miles in to have 3 sugar tabs but resumed my run again right away, and I had a banana just before starting and coffee an hour before. Hip felt great. There was some pinching, but that’s pretty much been every day without change.

Very happy and off to try to knock things off my to do list.

3 Likes

Very good stuff here.

Remember your formula. Keep track of what you are doing for BG management.

Write down an estimate on your carbs for the banana. There is some variability there based on size of the banana (I think about 20-35 grams), so try to come up with a number for future reference.

When did you feel the low? Did you check your BG when you stopped?

If you can get to the point where you are starting to drop, but can take some carbs before it gets low, that is ideal.

Today sounds perfect. Maybe take some carbs a bit earlier while you are running
so you don’t have to stop. Other than that, perfection today.

This earns you the coveted shower beer!
:shower: :beer:

1 Like

I didn’t check, no. Not with a finger stick. My guardian showed a 111 with an arrow down, and since that’s always late, I guessed I was at a 60. I barely felt the low at all except for that the treadmill felt like it was moving. It has done that a few times— felt like it was moving— when I was low, so I trusted it and took the tabs before I really started to feel anything. The other day I waited too long, and I couldn’t resume because of how unsteady the whole thing was. Anyway, I’m not sure how I would’ve known to take the tabs before I did, but I can try using my Libre to see if I can’t catch it earlier.

Afraid to ask. :grin:

No, let’s put the CGM silliness away while running.

The CGM today showed you at 111 and down. But was it 110 and down? 100 and down? 80 and down? 60 and down?

There is a reason I don’t use CGM when running. There is a better way.

Send me a picture of the front of your treadmill. The part with the buttons and screen and handrails and all of that stuff. Let’s do this right.

When your BG at the end of a run is in the 80’s, you have a beer in the shower. It’s a celebration of being non-diabetic.

1 Like

Okay. I’ll take a picture tomorrow.

Oh, sure, makes sense… I think I’ve heard that before— that having a beer in the shower is all the rage amongst the non-diabetics. :smiley:

1 Like

That happens to me every single time I’m on a treadmill and step off. Or take off roller skates. And I’m not low. :wink:

I’m so excited for your running success! Those numbers sounded good and you’re doing it! Yay!

3 Likes

Thank you, kind ma’am. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m letting all my happiness just be and keeping the what ifs in the background. Where they should be.

1 Like

Today. I would’ve started at a 142, but I ran into a problem… actually a spider cricket. I brought everything over to run inside, and there was a huge spider cricket on the wall just next to the treadmill. So that meant a change in plans, and by the time I made all of it happen, I was starting at a 178. I did do 0 Basal for an hour (over, by the time i got out) and had it set for another hour after that. So it still cut out before the end of my run, but I’m getting it together a little more by the day.

I went 40 minutes and 4.5 miles. It was freezing outside, almost literally, and there was a solid wall of wind and a mile and a half uphill on the first part of my run. I also had my eyes dilated this morning and was greeted by full sun about 3/4 mile in. It was a very weird run, and I spent the first mile and a half wanting to walk. I turned around early and decided i would just make up for the distance on the other end, and everything got better once the wind and hills were going in my favor.

See, Eric… I could teach you a thing or two… about getting it done. That’s dedication, my friend. Next time I’ll just capture the spider cricket, but today I had to brave the elements. And there were a lot of elements.

Oh, and I ended at a 178! That part was cool, but then I immediately started to climb to a 220. I’ve been doing insulin since. And now I’m out to go pick up children and chips. :smiley:

2 Likes

Okay, I was supposed to do a 20 minute incline run today…

I started with a really slow 1/2 mile warm up— only because you didn’t say anything about a warm up, so I figured you made a mistake? Anyway, I then set it at 6.0 at a 3 incline for the first 5 minutes, which felt great, so I went ahead and bumped it up to the 5 incline at 6.0, figuring I would just go until I got tired and then would let up. I ended up staying there until the last 2 minutes where I finally took it back to 5.8/4.5. The whole thing felt really good except the last 2 minutes which all of a sudden was hard. I took the opportunity to do a cadence check to distract myself, and I was at 95… so…190. Right? I was just shy of that every time i checked, and that was about 5 times throughout the workout. Did a quarter mile cool down.

BG wasn’t impressive today, but NOW I know why. I was at a 138 going out the door and then I was at a 190 just as I was getting ready to start. So I skipped the banana. When I got off, I was a 245! I had no idea what I had done wrong, considered whether or not the incline could’ve altered the workout enough to account for the change, and then remembered I did Levemir this morning at 5:30. I usually do it at 6:45. I think that was the problem. Anyway, I have taken care of it and hopefully am back on schedule.

I am off to get kids, but I’ll upload a pic of my treadmill set up so we can “skip the silly CGM stuff”. :smiley:

2 Likes

@Nickyghaleb, my son runs all kinds of hilly itineraries here, since we live on a big hill. The hardest runs with a lot of uphill when he pushes himself, he comes back high too. On the other hand, when he runs a flat run at low speed, he comes back low. So could it be the incline?

1 Like

It’s fine that you did a warmup. I didn’t include it on this run because the whole thing was at a slow pace. The run is basically cumulative fatigue, but not from the pace.

Great. You hung with it for most of the run. All sounds very good.

Were your calves tired at the end? Or thighs?

Since you popped up from 138 to 190 right before starting, I don’t think the 245 finish was workout related.

So not a mistake…

Last 2 minutes… thighs felt like they were not going to do it. It honestly felt pretty easy, the rest of it, but the last 2 minutes caught up with me.

I was thinking the same. The run definitely felt different than my usual runs, and I was working in a different way, but I can’t think of another reason for that rise just before starting. It also continued to rise even after two good correction boluses. After posting about my run, it continued onto a 285. @Michel, as I said, it did cross my mind, too, but I know there were issues with my long acting dose this morning which would result in the same behavior. I shaved 3 units off of my regular dose and did my morning dose almost an hour and a half early. Either way, I do the same workout next week so I’ll have another chance to watch.

@Eric— is that what you wanted?? That picture of my treadmill?? Or was that a joke?

1 Like

If I am not mistaken, that’s a NordicTrack 1650. Is that right?

I think there is small rack under the console that would be good for holding your stuff. I can send you a strip holder. It’s best to put a towel at the bottom so your meter does not rattle around the whole time and drive you nuts.

Alternatively, we can set you up with a magnetic holder and put your stuff on the metal speaker. I have some magnetic stuff i can send you.

Yours is iFit compatible. Did it come with a free membership? The iFit stuff would make it easy to program workouts. You download the workouts and don’t have to watch the time or press buttons. It would be automatic. You should get that setup. I can create the more complicated workouts for you if you want. That way you can just run.

You know I don’t joke about this stuff.

You would know better than I. I know it’s a NordicTrack because it says that in the picture. :smiley: About that tray though— YES. I keep my bottle of sugar tabs there.

I would love a strip holder or some magnetic stuff. So you’re talking about testing my BG… on the run. :smiley: I’m not sure what else you would’ve been talking about, but this sounds great.

It is iFit compatible, but i have no idea if it came with a free membership. I just do “manual start” every time. I could find out. I will find out.

As I was typing the remark, I thought to myself, he doesn’t joke about this stuff. Then hit reply anyway. You never know. :smiley:

1 Like

This, and what @Nickyghaleb said about incline, our absolutely fascinating to me.

We live in an area with rolling hills, and when I recently started running, I realized that nowhere in our county is flat! It is possible to do some runs that are flat, but many of them include some pretty big hills. Which means that EH is running up hills frequently BUT NOT ALWAYS, and I wonder how much of a difference this makes it his blood sugar. Fascinating! Thank you FUD! I literally never thought about it. Especially because I didn’t run until recently, so it never occurred to me how much harder running up the hill is than running on a flat place. (EH and I both prefer trail running, as opposed to running on city streets. Plenty of trails in our area, so that is where they’re running happens generally.)

Anyhow, thanks to you guys for bringing that up. Something to consider anyhow.

It does sound like @Eric has decided that it was probably not work out related - Nicky’s 245.

Hey, @Eric - theoretically, could an incline influences post run BG?

3 Likes

Yes. Inclines increase both the intensity of the workout, and also use larger muscle groups.

The result of an inclined run versus a flat run are:

1. If the incline increases intensity a small amount during the run, it can cause more of a BG drop during the run.

2. If the incline increases intensity a significant amount during the run, it can cause a BG spike during the run (cortisol response!).

3. Since inclines use larger muscle groups, you end up using more muscle glycogen, and that will cause post-workout BG to drop more.

So it’s not even theoretical, it’s real!

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks! I am passing that along. :smile:

2 Likes

I’m getting dangerously close to sleep-post time, so I’m going to try to drop this in here and get out before doing anything weird. :smiley:

Today. Went on the treadmill and ran 2.5 miles in 25 minutes. My BG starting was a little high but not too bad… I actually can’t remember anymore, but I think it was about a 180. It was only that because I had a coffee during volunteering this morning with regular sugar and apparently didn’t get enough insulin. Anyway, I got back off the treadmill at a 155. I didn’t do any kind of Zero Basal or anything because I’m back on MDI. So I was just prepared to eat sugar had I needed to. What else? … I did a couple of cadence checks along the way and was between 94-97… which is the equivalent to a number I can’t figure out right now because my brain isn’t interested, and… oh, yes, there was some pretty intense pinching in my spot today. No hip pain though, so … That.

Danced for 15 minutes after the run.

I think that’s all we talk about, right?

1 Like

:thinking:

1 Like

Today:

50 minutes
5.4 miles
Starting BG: 188 :grimacing:
Finishing BG: 87
Overall I felt great, and so did my hip. There was the pinching again today though— both upper inner thigh and back right hamstring. Also, I know my left hip is not the concern, but I’m certainly feeling a lot over on that side. Regardless, things went well.

I am back on MDI again, and I wanted to ask if you could give me a kind of a tentative plan for getting my starting BG right. Everything was looking good until about 30 minutes before starting, at which point I decided to have 15 grams of carbs in hopes of giving myself a good bump since I had no way of turning off my basal. My BG when I had the carbs was a 102. So I succeeded in giving myself a bump, but I hadn’t meant for all of that. Too soon in advance??

I have my gait analysis this Wednesday and will work on setting up an appointment to get my MRI read. Oh, and I did periodic cadence checks— just to give myself something to do— and they were anywhere from 192-198.

1 Like