DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Certainly.

There are a few things that you have to stick to…

• Any kind of basal and food adjustments you make for runs are fine. And that sort of thing is encouraged. You don’t need to always do it the same way. I want you to test different things and experiment and find the right formula for each day. All of that is good stuff.

• For easy runs, anything you want to do for fueling is fine, no problem. But eventually, as you progress back into it, 2 or 3 days of each week will be runs of significance. And on those particular days, coffee is not a fueling option. If you need to raise your BG before one of those runs, it needs to be with a quantifiable amount of carbs. Enjoy your coffee either a few hours before, or after. Not right before you go running. For easy runs, coffee is fine. Not for the significant runs.

• Stretching needs to be done every day. 5-10 minutes at least, and on every day. No fudging on this.

• Core work needs to be done at least 4 days each week. And again, no fudging on this one either.

• The workout is what it is. No ad lib. No impromptu stuff. If it says 3 miles, it does not mean you can do 4.5 miles just because you feel good. You can cut a workout short if you are hurting. You can reduce your pace on the speed work or intervals if you can’t hit them. But you can’t pile miles on top, or increase the speed. If there is a free run, it will say that. Otherwise, stick to the plan.

• Your first goal will be a 5k race, and the target will be to get there without hurting yourself while training, and running a time that feels like you have accomplished something. Once you get past that, we start looking at shaving seconds.

All good?

2 Likes

I think so, yes. But. I have to ask… your tone is such that either I have done something wrong in the past, or you have no faith in me not to do something wrong in the future. Can’t quite put my finger on it, but it feels definitely kind of like maybe it has to do with the history of or the potential of my doing something wrong.

I know I don’t need to do this, but I’d just like to state for the record that I didn’t do nuthin wrong. I got hurt, and it’s a recurring injury, and I am more motivated than ever to do this carefully and right.

Nuthin.

Okay, so, yes… I can do this. The coffee part is a blower, but we already knew that. I’ll sort it out.

And thank you. :hugs:

2 Likes

You have done nothing wrong. And no, it was not your fault that you got hurt.

My tone is that way because I already know what will happen if I don’t get tough with you from the start. You will get bored with me bringing you along slowly.

Tough love, DN. :wink:

1 Like

Fair enough.

You do know me well. :grin:

So then, when do we start?

1 Like

Better than you know yourself.

When is your MRI?

I’d really like you to have a clean result on that before we get into too much.

We can start easy on Monday if you want.

1 Like

That’s great. When you’re available, I have some questions about some of the stupid stuff I do. :grin:

29th.

I thought that was what I wanted, but maybe I just keep on with my free range chicken status… I don’t know. Now that I see your list of demands… :thinking:

How “easy”??

I did 4.5 miles today, but I was tired. Today was the first time back where my BG was very ugly at the start— just under 300. My legs felt like rocks. I think I’ve exercised at high blood sugar so many times that I never realized it didn’t feel good. I’m not sure that’s what it was today, but maybe.

1 Like

Your body is not getting fuel from a 300 BG. You did not have the insulin to process it. And on top of that, your high BG when you are running is sending a stress signal that you are in trouble, so your body responds with cortisol, which brings your BG up even more. Running at 300 feels like crap.

Think about our little Applebee’s trick. Remember that one? The one on my thumb? Try that next time. :wink:

Your call. But if you want my stuff, you will spend 5 weeks hating me for being too easy, the next 6 weeks hating me for being too difficult, 1 week being grateful it is taper week, and then you would launch.

If you want me, find a race around February 23rd.

1 Like

Well played.

2 Likes

So since you laid it out like that so nicely (and what kind of a wimp would decline publicly such a slick plan), AND because

Yes, of course, or I wouldn’t have solicited your guidance,

Sunday, February 24th. Local 5k.

All good? :wink:

2 Likes

Isn’t that the truth?!?

I’m glad you’re running and it’s bringing you joy.

3 Likes

All good!

2 Likes

I know you thought your FUD work was done for the day after your genius lovesac post but not quite…

As part of my last few days of freedom before handing it over to you, I did 5 miles in 45 minutes. Hip felt good. I did zero basal the hour prior to starting and then for the workout. I left at 168 and returned at 127. I felt great.

And the most important part is that I did it without my coffee. I do the coffee because I’m afraid I can’t do it without it, but that’s just nonsense. I’m very happy, and I’m going into Thanksgiving feeling capable and strong. We’ll see how long that holds after the pie comes out. :grin:

3 Likes

All of this sounds wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving!

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. :hugs:

1 Like

So I didn’t quite nail Thanksgiving like I thought would, but it was still worlds away from what I used to do. I used to find a spot at around 500 and just camp out all day. Yesterday I peaked at just over 300 but was only there for a few minutes. I was in good range for way longer than I was out of range, so I’m happy. It was a definite improvement, and I didn’t wake to my usual screw it, I might as well have pie today thinking as there was no real tragedy to respond to negatively.

I definitely needed to do two things today to make sure I got back on track, and I did. I dropped the rest of the pie in the trash, and I exercised.

My BG was kind of sloppy, like a 200ish from start to finish, so I ran 4 and a quarter miles and then topped it off with a little cross-training—dancing on the treadmill. :grin:

I think I’m officially back on track. :+1:

3 Likes

You were a beast!

Remind me what you use to measure distance/ cadence/ stride length/ heart rate?

1 Like

I think you were talking to me, but you used the word beast… so I’m not sure you were talking to me. :smiley:

You’d like to hear what I use to measure things?? You’re sure?? :smiley:

Well, for distance, it depends on where I run. If I run outside, I use Runkeeper, a free app that keeps track of distance, pace, etc. I also use my watch and calculate stuff at the end—- for average pace per mile. This is all supposed to be low key right now, so I’m trying to keep it that way. Obviously, if I run inside, I just use the treadmill to track distance. You can set your speed by mph on the treadmill, too. So I set mine for a pace that feels like breakneck speed, then bother @Eric for the conversion and then get mad when it turns out it was way slower than what I thought. :smiley:

For cadence, I’m counting foot strikes on one side for a minute and multiplying by 2. There are apps and watches and all kinds of cool technology to help you hold a good cadence, but, for now, I just take a measure approximately every mile or two. Once I’ve gotten a good one, I feel like I’m holding it pretty well, and the presence of pain is a good indicator that I’ve slowed down. I do know it will be a smart purchase (or download) at some point, but this has just got to cut it for now. With rotating pumps, meters, Libre, spike, phones and email, faxes, pagers, and on and on, I’m pretty full up on technology. For now.

Stride length… sometimes I feel like a galloping horse. That’s no good. Sometimes I feel like a windup toy. Feels silly, but that’s the better stride. That’s about how I measure my stride. If it feels ridiculous, that’s about right :smiley:

Heart rate… That’s a very important one, and that’s the one I need to get organized again. I usually wear a Polar HR monitor, but I’ve bought a Garmin. A pink one, unfortunately. I bought it just before I got hurt, so I never quite completed the set up. However, I’m definitely back into it all enough that I need to see how that number is looking. For me, it’s one I really have to keep an eye on. So I’ll make myself pull it down and get it done tonight. Thank you for asking. :blush:

3 Likes
  • Do your stretching 6 times this week, at least 10 minutes each time. You only have 1 blow-off day, so don’t spend it too early.

• Do your core 4 times this week, preferably done on easy days and rest days. Focus on hips.

• Do not skip stretching or core work.

• Focus on good BG each time. Plan ahead, no meals at least 2 hours before and minimal IOB. Try to have flat or slightly falling BG at the time you start. Take in a few carbs right when you start if needed. A falling BG is easy to fix if you have no IOB. A spike is not…

Week 1:
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monday, 11/26
35-40 minute Easy Run
9:00-9:30 pace

Tuesday, 11/27
35-40 minute Easy Run
9:00-9:30 pace

Wednesday, 11/28
Rest day, stretch and core only

Thursday, 11/29
20 minute Incline
10:00-12:00 pace @ 3-5 degrees
Hold good form, stay tall and keep high cadence throughout.
Always keep good form. If your form changes from being tired, stop and rest a little bit.
How did it feel?

Friday, 11/30
25 minute Recovery Run
10:00 pace
(nothing more!)

Saturday, 12/1
50 minute Long Run
9:30-10:00 pace

Sunday, 12/2
Rest day, stretch and core only

2 Likes

Okay i was already doing this while you were typing your stuff up, so if it looks like i wasn’t listening, it’s because i didn’t hear you. :D.

Today i did 5 miles in 43.5 minutes. Felt great. Hip feels solid. Left at 120 and returned at 55. I had a banana on the way out the door and a coffee about an hour before leaving.

Now I’ll go look over everything for this week. I’m very, very excited and ever so thankful for your taking the time. And that’s in my serious tone. :smiley:

2 Likes

Off for my run… and really happy to be back on schedule. :heart:

1 Like