DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

The bigger basal changes the formula a bit. The one unit for above 150 was with a normal basal amount.

If you are above 200, maybe hit that 1 unit. If you are 150 or less, I think you will be in decent shape.

1 Like

So today was a good day. I did 19 units of Levemir this morning, a 38% increase over what I’ve been taking, and it was just what I needed to make my day normal again. So… okay… I ended up having the coffee after I wrote the last note about how I would not have the coffee, BUT my Bg was a 100 at the time and falling, and I was cold… so I figured you’d be cool with it. On the way over to the pool, I dropped again to about a 90, so I chose to have half of my banana. I was wearing my Libre (with Miao Miao!) so I put my clear bag at the end of my lane and just took a look every 10 laps or so. I did rise in the very beginning to about a 138 (that probably wasn’t entirely accurate, but say no more than 150) and fell back to an 80 by the end of the swim. I even had two glucose tablets in the locker room. So today was MUCH different than the last couple. That 19 units really held me steady all day… I have no idea for how long I’ll need it, but maybe I start with it again tomorrow, too.

And I got my 40 laps. I was really happy about that. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Oh! And I ran across my house today. Just to see if I could? And I could. Not so much as a pinch in my hip. Kevin said one week with absolutely no pain and we can actually start something. Don’t know what, but it sounds good.

3 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign: :100: :+1:

So between 80 and 138-ish for the entire swim. Beautiful. I love to see the magic happening. :grinning:

You can probably cut back a little bit tomorrow. Maybe 17 units.

3 Likes

So. I’m about to go dance. If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with kind of thing. Can’t run. Can’t play basketball. Can’t even SWIM. But I’ve got music (and rhythm :star_struck:) and a hip that’s been nice and quiet, so I’ve got a (temporary, if nothing else) answer.

As you know, @Eric, I spent the weekend and yesterday in the hospital with my littlest one—in the ICU— while they tried to get a hold of his asthma attack. Woke up this morning to find two more sick sons, both with fevers, one with the same predisposition to illness-related asthma. Also found out my mom, who was trying to help me out while I was in the hospital, hit a curb and busted her two front tires… and had grown mad at ME because of it. :expressionless: Me and her car. At least she was equally as mad at her car.

I am missing all of my PT this week because of everything going on, and I still have an IEP meeting to look forward to. :grimacing:

So I’ll dance and beg the universe to have mercy and let my hip stay happy. Hopefully I’ll be back next week in Kevin’s office talking about starting some kind of running program. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Dear @Eric,

I honestly don’t know how you find the time to write your brilliant lyrics and create your clever graphics while keeping your a1c as pristine as you do, running long distances, and spreading knowledge and good cheer throughout the diabetic community, but it’s all very impressive. Like the mother whose children are clean, healthy, and happy, whose life is in good order, and who has neatly manicured hands to boot, your lyrics, like her manicure, is not what you are known best for, but they are what set you apart (from the sane crowd, sure).

This is a compliment. In case you’re still not sure. And I did not just call you a woman— you should be so lucky— I was only drawing the comparison to the kind of woman you’d be (in my mind) if you were one. And that’s an organized one… with lovely hair, lovely fingernails, and a beautiful pink watch. I could see that for you. :grin::rofl:

Awww, Eric! Your lyrics are the BEST. :heart:

But I didn’t dance… I walked/ran on the treadmill… :wink:

4 Likes

Well, I made up the whole diabetic thing. So that gives me a little more time. :grinning:

That’s why women are the lucky ones. They own half the money, and all the pink watches. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This thread is not dead. It may look like a ghost town, but it’s not dead.

I’ve been dancing without pain as a backup to the backup to my backup. Good thing I love dancing. Tomorrow I go see the orthopaedic doctor man who I will NOT tell I have diabetes. Hopefully he will then focus on my hip pain and not whether or not I currently am seeing an eye doctor for potential long term complications of having diabetes.

I’ll also get myself s couple of appointments for PT. It will have 2 weeks off by the time I get in to see him, but I don’t think the time off is a bad thing. It’s been a good day.

No running or walking today and also no pain. It’s
Sand in starting to sleep pst— I’m out!

4 Likes

Here goes… my attempt to fly under the radar

1 Like

Holy crap, @Eric… I thought it was cute that you like to pretend you’re not a diabetic, but it never crossed my mind just what kind of skills you’ve gotta have to pull it off. I’m a frickin disaster.

So far, without a differential diagnosis of diabetes, they must think I’m a twizzler-inhaling, mentally unstable meth addict—who has maybe peed herself. I had the worst crash as I was trying to answer all of their questions with “no”… but I couldn’t tell the guy I was having a crash so I was trying to cram twizzlers in my mouth quickly and discreetly in between questions. While I turned bone white… and began to collect a small puddle of sweat beneath me. I’ve never had a crash where I haven’t told the person I was crashing… and he was like “any diabetes in your family?” And I was like “nope”.

That was just the nurse. And my bag has a big Thpe 1 Diabetic patch on it that I just realized… not to mention my Libre and Guardian sensor. The only thing I needed to really botch the whole stealth job was: image

You better hope this doesn’t backfire… when they come to the conclusion there’s nothing physically wrong with me so I must be here for drugs…

How do you do this?!

Here comes the doc.

4 Likes

OMG!
:rofl:

Dang girlie, get your BG together BEFORE you go in!

1 Like

I see no advantage to lying to a doctor you are seeing by claiming you do not have diabetes. And I see a lot of potential disadvantages.

2 Likes

Of course. I am fully aware of all of the potential disadvantages… and even dangers… of doing this. I wouldn’t not tell my endocrinologist about my diabetes. :D. Seriously, I wouldn’t not tell my eye doctor or my neurologist. There are doctors who need to know. I believe that wholeheartedly. The orthopedist… one of the many I’ve seen over the last few years… doesn’t. Not in my mind. Diabetes blinds doctors. It blinds society. Sorry, but this is how it feels. Say the word diabetes and now you’ve been filed away. I have a hip injury. It hurts when I run. He has 15 minutes to determine a plan. We don’t need to talk about my diabetes. I’ve got that covered.

I went to doctors for 4 years after having my first child. Four years. I had just been diagnosed with Type 1, and I was adamant about communicating that to everyone I would see. In turn, even with a BRAND NEW diagnosis, everything I was there to see them about somehow related to it. It was inflammation, it was pain… it was ligament difficulties… Nicole, this is just what diabetics deal with. I finally started seeing a physical therapist who recommended my having someone look at my spine. Went for an MRI and found out I had a cyst that had eaten away 85% of my spinal canal from my C4 to my T10. The symptoms that I had been experiencing were pretty classic, but everything was overshadowed by the diabetes. It was brain surgery I needed.

I’m not encouraging people to lie to their doctors. I rarely do. Today I wanted JUST to talk about my hip and that meant not spending 9 valuable minutes talking about a bunch of history that was irrelevant. It was harder than I thought it was going to be. Medical appointments are hard on me. Trying to get the most out of them.

3 Likes

I have never called you Nicole before. Ever!

But today I have to say it. I love you, Nicole.
:grinning:

In a totally non-creepy, completely innocent, hundreds of mile apart, friendly way.
:wink:

2 Likes

I’m speechless…

And now that’s passed. :smiley: Eric, and I’d call you by your more official name here, too, if you were Erica, and here comes the mushy serious part… thank you for helping me find it in me. I got buried under all of this. Thank you for helping me see … things differently.

And I love you, too, Erica. In a totally non-creepy, completely innocent, hundreds of miles apart, friendly way, too. For real.

2 Likes

See my PM about this!

Okay. So… about the actual appointment…

I think it was a waste of time. :confused: The guy was nice enough, as is usually the case, but he was all over the place with what it could be, and what is likely to happen. He repeated at least 3 times that I just needed some drugs and rest, and then I should be ready to go. He called it bursitis, which Kevin has explained to me it’s NOT because of the lack of pain with touching it or lying on it, and he also called it general inflammation. When I explained the pain intensity, which has occurred 3 times now but is not subsiding the way it previously has, he said, and I’m being serious, “that sucks”. Also things like, “wow! And it’s just like you really just want to run!”

He also showed back up into the room with a cortisone shot, which I declined, and he also said he saw some scoliosis. And this is why I don’t like going to the doctor.

So he wrote me a prescription for some kind of “gentle” NSAID, the old lady’s dose, he said, so that I could take extra, and told me to take it for 3 or 4 weeks. If I don’t see any improvement in that time, he’ll send me for an MRI. Oh, and he said there was some calicification on some part of my hip and that my hip bone was slightly misshapen… possibly making it injury prone. I’ve done a lot of appointments in my time… Something about this one screams a whole lotta nothing.

I don’t know. I’m calling Kevin tomorrow. I’ll try to get in to see him by the end of the week and at LEAST keep moving on this end.

I danced. And that was great.

3 Likes

Take that for a few weeks to reduce swelling.

Also, in addition the taking the “prescription Advil”, ultimately we want to get you in for an MRI. That’s the goal here. So if you start over with a different guy, you are back to square one. With this guy, you are maybe 3 weeks away from an MRI.

Take the meds, make your follow-up appointment for 3 weeks, meet with him again and get the MRI. Then you have a better idea of the issue.

This doesn’t have to be a waste, if you end up with an MRI out of it.

1 Like

I think I can get the MRI script from Kevin… if so, should I still go back to this guy?

Also, Kevin believes it to be a tendon issue— possible tear. He says that the use of Ibuprofen is actually counterproductive in tendon injuries as it slows the healing. Should I run any of this by him? Start it anyway??