DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

No. But you did see all of the things I did make progress on, right?

Monday… I’ll call Monday. And I’ll get a couple of numbers over the weekend in preparation…

1 Like

Yep, keep moving forward.

1 Like

Very happy today. I drank a lot of pool water, and I would really like to not have to do that, but I’m getting into it. Today I did 1500 yards—- I think. 30 up and down laps. It actually felt like a good workout, and I even felt strong.

My hip was pretty stinkin good yesterday. I have to stop saying great because I’ve been saying that for about 12 weeks. :smiley: Either way, today is even a little better. And I could do this, you know… I could settle into swimming as an alternative until I can do land activities again. It will really be nice to breathe as heavily as I need and not ingest pool water.

On that note— dizziness?? Is that a normal swimming thing?? It’s not terrible, but I do find I have to stop every now and then and let stuff stop moving. :thinking:

Doing a little light core stuff today and some weights and calisthenics. Is that still a thing, or was that what people did in the 80s??

Oh, and I even did a good job with my blood sugar today. Auto was pushing me up because that’s what it does, but it didn’t get too crazy. At disconnect time I was a 170. As I was heading into the pool my stomach growled, and I realized I haven’t eaten in like 3 days (my mom is out of commission, and my steady intake of calories has taken a serious hit). I decided to have my applesauce… even though I was already disconnected. Diabetes (and the 670) crack me up sometimes. If I had put money on it, I would’ve bet on a ridiculous high, but I got out of the pool at an 80…:woman_facepalming:
Auto mode is doing its thing now though, and I’m headed skyward so I’m not sure how I got through the workout like I did today, but I’m paying for it now. Was paying for it. I just got out.

I think that’s it. It’s been a good day. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Check your blood pressure. I sometimes have low BP during and after workouts. If your BP is low, make sure you are staying hydrated.

That’s a win! Exercise does great stuff! Beautiful things here!

Keep going. Get your ortho appt, work your rehab, keep swimming, let’s get you all the way back.
:grinning:

3 Likes

Is that a joke? Or does pool water not hydrate? When swallowed by the gallon… :grin:

I’ll check it, thank you. But how? I’m not getting it at other times of day and it only happens in the water… maybe for a few minutes afterwards. Do you mean to bring a machine? In my backpack? :grin:

The home kits are small. Do you generally have low BP? Good to check.

Serious about dehydration. You are not as aware of it when swimming, but you are still losing water. Weigh yourself before and after to see how much.

Happy for you today. But do not give up on running. I want my running buddy back.

2 Likes

Thinking about it everyday. It’s my motivation to get into the water. :two_hearts:

1 Like

You’ll get there! I’m caught up on things in this thread and I’m glad you’re in the pool.

If your first orthopedist doesn’t work, try try again. (Oh wait, did I learn that from YOU?!?) That is my new personal motto as far as medical care goes. Also, “you’re fired“ is my new motto. If you suck or your office sucks, I don’t need to go back.

And I’m glad you’ve found something to do! Maybe could think of swimming like dancing in your bathing suit? It’s kind of like dancing, but with more arm movements and floaties?

And I’m not against a pity party because sometimes a person might just need to have one of those. I will say, I think that the pity party just comes across as venting quite frequently, and certainly not as giving up. But a great peptalk is required now and again! @Eric is good at those!

And I agree with the dizziness and dehydration theory - you’ve gotta be sweating! But it’s already wet so you can’t see it. :joy:

3 Likes

:two_hearts::two_hearts:
I love it when you appear. :hugs:

@glitzabetes… you hear that?? Not that it’s what you have to do, but you should know it’s always an option. Because it sounds like your endo’s office sucks… and maybe he does, too.

Or maybe not. Ignore if not.

I had not thought about it that way, but I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Should be interesting. :grin:

Not more… you’d be surprised how many arm movements are included in this kind of dance. :laughing:

What kind of swimming do you think I’m doing here, woman??

Yes, we agree on these matters. Eric doesn’t. You knew that before, and now I know, too.

Better than he is at allowing pity parties, sure.

And this is the kind of insight we’ve been missing around here. Glad you’re back. :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Almost forgot today… I swam 33 laps— or a 1650 so the swimmers might say. Felt great. My mom says there under waters headphones?? Maybe tomorrow I’ll find some.

2 Likes

Okay, @Eric… serious question:

I have gone back to my injections, as you already know. I spent a good part of yesterday high and then had an awful crash yesterday evening. Like a being pulled under kind of crash— if you have any idea what I mean. I attributed it to the constant small, and big, corrections after my swim without eating any carbs. I know this is way too vague to have a serious conversation, but I’m having a very stubborn high again today. Again, I came out of the pool too high, immediately did insulin, and have continued to do nothing but corrections since. 8 units total PLUS a 15 minute walk, and I’m still at a 200. I haven’t eaten. I know I’m repeating the same mistake as yesterday with the corrections and will eat something now to head off the crash, but could this be the swimming??? Is it possible the breathing, which is very different for me because of all that water, turns it into a different kind of workout? I’ve never really swam for exercise as a diabetic and had only just started while in auto. Why am I getting stuck with such a stubborn post-exercise high?

I swam 36 laps today, an 1800. I’m very happy with that and am pleased with it as an alternative until I can get back to running, but I’d like to get these numbers down.

2 Likes

It could be a cortisol response. Or it could be from something you ate before.

At a certain intensity level, your body responds to with fuel for the “fight or flight”. Just like being chased by a bear.

Your body wants to ensure you have enough fuel. It releases stress hormones. For exercise it is primarily cortisol. That signals that your liver needs to release glycogen stores to give your body fuel.

How hard is the effort? How is your heart rate? Are you out of breath?

Tell me about your BG before starting.

1. Was it stable and flat?
  2. What was your number?
  3. When was the last food you ate before the workout?
  4. Did you have coffee?
1 Like

Give me just one sec…

I’ve been trying to respond for like 45 minutes, but everything is pure chaos right now…

I’m sorry, @Eric. I asked you a question like 6 hours ago, and you were so quick to respond, and I”m just getting to sit down to give you the information. I’ve been at a sprint for the ENTIRE TIME handling things you couldn’t even imagine… I actually punctured my vein with the meat thermometer… which I had just pulled out of a slightly undercooked breast of chicken. These are the kinds of things that are happening when you don’t hear from me.

So intensity… It goes from being under control a good chunk of the time to my feeling desperate for a breath. A full chest. If that makes sense. This is the part I was talking about with the breathing. I’m just not crazy about that kind of breathing in water because I dislike feeling like I can’t take a breath any time. I’m not doing sprints or anything, but I”m moving along at a good clip for me, and sometimes I find myself out of breath. I pretty much have one speed once I start, and it’s … it’s work. I don’t know how to describe it any better. I’m not a swimmer. :roll_eyes:

BG was at about a 190 when I started. Now I can’t remember what —. I can’t remember why it was rising. I decided not to do any insulin though and just let it push up so that I could get into the water and feel comfortable that I wasn’t going to crash.

1. No… it was rising.
  2. 190ish.
  3. About 3/4 of an applesauce… maybe less (10 grams of carbs?) … as I headed out to the pool. :grimacing: I forgot about that.
  4. No coffee, thank you very much. 4 coke zeroes. But those don’t affect my blood sugar. KIDDING. ONE Coke Zero about 30 minutes before. But those don’t affect my blood sugar at all.

I did 14 units of Levemir this morning and 7 at 3:00 pm. I ended up doing over 8 after the swim of novolog and finally had a coffee at 3… I brought a banana and applesauce and everything and expected to have the same kind of crash as yesterday but never did.

I’ll see if I can include my graph…

Putting together all the pieces, it sounds like a spike from the exercise, not food. All you had was the applesauce, right? That could explain the 190 when you started, but not the 8 units you needed after you finished…

Would you be up for trying some different stuff tomorrow? You really don’t want to be swimming at 200. There is no need for that.

Do you have a time planned for tomorrow? When are you swimming and when are you eating breakfast?

Dang! That sounds horrible. I am very sorry about that! I hope you are okay.

But that really should go in the meat thermometer thread.

1 Like

Lolololol! Ask @daisymae!!! She’ll tell you! :swimming_woman:

I would vote that it sounds like the exercise too. EH has that happen - that high post working out.

And I’m sorry about the meat thermometer stabbing! That sounds wildly unfortunate and I hope you recover soon. Just don’t fall into the oven please.

3 Likes

Okay. Of course

tomorrow is kind of up in the air. I have to take my mom to the doctor at 10… With any luck I’ll be back by 12:30? 1:00? I will have a short window— until 2:30–to complete my exercise. What do you mean by “trying different stuff”?? I could also exercise between 3:30 and 4:30 if I don’t get the diet window…

1 Like

Since your schedule is a bit sketchy tomorrow, how about shooting for the later time.

Here it is.

*Morning - Levemir and breakfast
*Afternoon - lunch after your mom’s appointment, maybe around 12 or 1.

Shoot for a swim 3.5 - 4 hours after lunch. Your IOB and food will be mostly gone. Take your afternoon Levemir as scheduled. Hopefully you will be in range and flat at that time.

Right before you start swimming, if you are above 150, take 1.0 units, and I mean right before you get in the pool. And then swim hard. If you are going to take insulin for a spike, you need to make sure you spike, so push yourself.

Just have carbs quickly available. And check yourself at about the 900 point or so if you are wobbly, and make sure your fingers are dry.

1 Like

So… I didn’t get to the pool yesterday, and if I don’t make this quick, it’s not looking good for today either. So I’ll make it quick.

Yesterday, mom wanted to go for a romp around the food store after her appointment, so romp we did. She made “bad cooking” jokes at my expense with every potential ingredient she picked up. Love to see her laugh but would love it more if it were at my sister.

Anyway, TODAY I have not had any coffee since … maybe an hour ago… and I DID go with that 138% Levemir dose this morning PLUS extra insulin for my coffee and only hit a 200 for an hour and a half. Not sure what this surge is, but I was sure that Levemir dose was going to make me plummet, and it didn’t. Anyway, my BG is about a 120 now, and I’m going to not have coffee and not have any more carbs… and then go read your comment again because my mind went blank after not have coffee.

I’m headed to the pool in about 30 minutes. It was 89 yesterday, and it’s 50 today. I’ve never gone to the pool in cool whether. Sounds cold. Coffee would warm me up.

2 Likes

So now that I’ve read this again, I hope my day is lining up to meet all of these things… I did have a coffee at maybe 9, but I did the insulin for it probably at 8:15. By the time I get into the water, it’ll be around 10:30… so that’s not 4 hours, but… oh! But I did an IM shot so… it should be fine??

I also have that big Levemir dose working… does that change the numbers at all?? Should I still do that one unit if above 150? Any chance it’s going to mean going low once I get started? I know you can’t tell me, but it would be nice. :slight_smile: I’ll bring some applesauce pouches… and work it out.

Can’t wait to run.

1 Like