DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

I’m planning on trying the workout on the treadmill.

If I can’t, I can’t, but I’m gonna give it a shot.

Let’s look at cadence. Do you know how to check your cadence?

I know there’s supposed to be a cadence-counting app… ??

Not counting… is it counting?

Or maybe it’s a rhythm thing…

No. I don’t know how.

1. Don’t do this at the very beginning of your run. Don’t do this at the end. Do it after a 1 mile warmup. Do it when you are warmed up, but not tired.

2. On your treadmill, there should be a clock timer you can look at. Start at the beginning of any minute, like X:00

3. Count the number of times your left foot moves forward in one minute. Just count left steps (it’s easier this way).

4. At the end of 1 minute, multiply left steps by 2. This is the total number of steps per minute. That is your cadence.

5. Do this twice! Make sure your numbers are reasonably close, that you didn’t miss-count. If your numbers are close, average them and send me that number. I am looking for your total steps per minute.

1 Like

So there’s not an app. :smiley: i don’t imagine you’re a big app guy…

I joke. I can handle it. And it IS counting.

1 Like

I am not an app guy at all. I run, that’s it.

2 Likes

And make up your own lyrics to stuff. Good lyrics, sure.

1 Like

Sounds like you have IT band tendonitis aggravated intensifies with prolonged walking running, also you mentioned sidelying is painful. This could be trochanteric bursitis. If you have this good and bad news . Good news stretching will fix it … bad news when starting stretching first few days get more pain then it starts easing up … the new guy diabetic over 30 years …physical therapist 20 years . Hope you get it figured out

2 Likes

Not something that has been mentioned during any of my appointments. That’s good news. It’s jot something that has been ruled out.

That fits…[quote=“David, post:294, topic:4398”]
sidelying is painful
[/quote]

No, this I may have miscommincated. Sidelying is fine, but lifting my leg… like moving it around over night in order to reposition myself is bad. Makes for a crappy night’s sleep. With bursitis, tenderness is a common symptom? There’s none.

THANK YOU for sharing your ideas. It gives me something to ask at my appointment Tuesday.

Just out of curiosity, no pressure to answer, if Advil REALLY knocks back the pain—like the difference between being able to walk and not being able to walk— could this possibly be a straight inflammation issue?? Or is that a dumb question because any injury would boil down to a straight inflammation issue?

Again, thank you for your ideas.

1 Like

I did 2 cadence checks. There were both 180 on the dot. I did it a couple of minutes after warmup.

I’m slammed today, so I’m going to make this as fast as possible… to your great relief. :smiley:

I had an Advil this morning. I’ll just put that out there. I also had to extend the warm up to a mile because of… stiffness. At a mile though, I was pretty much ready to go. Did 2 miles at 8:34 at RPE of 6-7. Felt pretty good. My endurance is definitely stronger than my hips, but my hips hung in there. Mile cool down. Started at a BG of 163 and ended at 86.

How’d I do?

Also, I really couldn’t do the core exercises last week for a couple of reasons. Now I’m just procrastinating. Should I start them back up?

If no pain with with pressure, probably nerve related . Does it hurt if you lie on your back and stretch pulling your knee to the opposite shoulder or hurt your bottom when you sit on a hard surface?

1 Like

Perfect!

Very good.

How long was basal off? Did you eat anything when you started? Was the 163 from coffee?

That 80 point drop would be good to reduce.

Yes. Do your core 4-5 times per week, and stretch every day. Definitely do the hip exercises.

Just out of curiosity… what would be bad?

Basal was off one hour. I did not eat anything… because I forgot. The 163 was from coffee. Just an observation, but I notice you have made at least a couple of remarks about how it would be good to reduce those drops… I don’t know how. It really has been a drastic improvement to be able to go out for a relatively long and strenuous workout without crashing 10 minutes in. I don’t know how to get up and stay up without …

The banana. I also remember you mentioning once or twice about eating the banana before heading out. I may have just solved my own problem. :smiley:

I’ll resume exercises and stretching.

So I thought I was just going in to read a page… but this is an actual thing to GO to in person. Did you mean for me to call tomorrow and get details? Or was I just supposed to read what they do and then get back to doing whatever I was doing anyway? :smiley:

No to all. I’m not sure how much you’ve read about my symptoms and conditions and whatnot, but I do have Tarlov cysts, and it USED to really hurt when sitting on a hard surface. The fact that it doesn’t at all now makes me a little hesitant to believe the cysts are what’s causing the pain. However, they would hit all the right places as far as symptoms.

I was thinking it might be good for you to do if you can. Just to have your gait checked to make sure it wasn’t contributing to your injury or causing you pain. Since you sometimes have more pain during and after running, it would be good to see if there are some things you can fix. They talk through your symptoms and give you the exercises and everything.

Taking a small bit of carbs before you start. Yes, the banana, or whatever works. That 80 point drop is just your body scrambling for fuel. Feed it a little bit.

A cadence that is too low means your stride is too long, which can hurt your joints and also makes you work harder to run, because your stride is slowing you down when you plant. 180 is great.

1 Like

If my local sports medicine guy does all of these things… could he be a substitute? He’s a marathoner himself, and he looks at gait, cadence, etc. He’s just too far to see 2 or 3 times a week, and that’s usually his recommendation…

3 Likes

There are a lot of people who could be good and help you. And a lot of clowns who will waste your time. If you think he’s good, sure.

But I think the nice thing about the UVA thing was that I think they give you a plan and then you work it at home. They don’t ask you to come back over and over.

That’s the problem with a lot of PT places. They don’t really have a motivation for you to heal, because they keep saying “come back 3 times per week…”

Hey, did you run today?

Saturday is a somewhat important run. We need to see how you can handle a long run. Just to see if you can manage it without pain.

If you handle the Saturday long okay, we will put you back to work.

1 Like