DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Did it. Nailed it. Singing about it. :smiley:

I know this was as much a test for my BG and mental … ability… as it was where I am physically, and it wasn’t all perfect, but it was damn close. :smiley:

BG:
Had my alarm set this morning for 7. My mom comes around, hearing ALL of the alarms, and turns them all off. I do love her. :smiley: Anyway, by the time I get up at 8:15, my BG is great at a 65 or so, but I’ve been suspended for over an hour. I thought about postponing the run until I could get more control over the suspends, but this is diabetes, and I’m learning how to work with what I’ve got. So it wasn’t perfect, but I’m happy with how it went… I did have a cup and a half of coffee at 8:15 with about .75 units of insulin. I knew it was not going to be enough, but I figured I could always add a little insulin at any time if I really needed. I’d prefer not to have insulin on board, but it’s not a showstopper if I do, and now I understand that running at a high BG is more of a nuisance than applying bandaids. My BG was up to a 165 shortly thereafter, so I just got up and put on some music and did some chores. Then my BG began to drop, so I let it head in that direction and headed over for the treadmill at a 136. I did my warm up and tested again, and I was at a 138. Not perfect (third time I’ve said it), but it was good enough to go.

The run:

1/2 mile warm up @ 10:00/mile and then I stopped and had a little water and tested. Started at a 138 and just ran 1.75 miles at 8.3. I was working hard, but I was okay, so I turned it up to 8.4 going into the last quarter miles and figured I’d turn it right back down if it didn’t feel right. But it felt right, so that’s how I finished.

The mental stuff: I was on it. The way you broke it down is how I approach the tough stuff in life. It was so interesting to see your breakdown because I realized I’m not crazy for feeling like the early part of the run is harder than the end. It’s that feeling that there’s so much ahead of you, but you’re already tired. It’s gone in a minute, but that thought is a tough one. So I knew it was coming, I knew it would make for a tough couple of laps (and it did), but I also knew it would get easier. And it did. I was still working hard, but I was happy in the third half, and I was on top of the world by the fourth.

I finished at a BG of 141. I have no idea what that means about the spike although I have a feeling I may have dropped in the early part of the run. I’m not sure I was a stable 138, and I do know that was part of the goal. However, I didn’t have to cancel the run, I didn’t have to postpone it, I didn’t have to do insulin, and I didn’t have to do carbs. That’s a victory for me. And until I can stop my mom from being sweet and wanting me to get enough sleep, I just have to learn how to work with what’s in front of me.

My HR was about a 184. It may have been higher. It was not easy for me to get that measure. I felt like it was high, but, again, that is completely normal for me. I used to do my workouts at 200-210 most days.

Also, I jogged another mile and a half at the end. I know it wasn’t part of the workout, and I know I’m not supposed to do that, but I did, and I’m being honest. Then I walked. Then I danced. :smiley:

5 Likes