DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

The list of things I want to write about in here is growing, but I’d like to write about today’s run, which was fantastic.

So I started at a BG of an 87 with over an hour of Zero Basal going in. Again, I was running around this morning doing chores, so I decided to extend the basal cut a little before starting. Actually, it wasn’t quite that organized though. I had it set for an hour but was mid-task when it ran out. I didn’t notice it was time and probably didn’t catch it until I had probably gotten about 20 or 30 minutes of insulin. So I set it for another hour and was on the treadmill shortly thereafter but with a little unintended insulin on board. I tested at an 87 just before turning it on and tested once a mile throughout the first hour (on my pretty pink meter bracelet). @Eric, I know you don’t need to know the Dexcom values, but I’ll only do it for a couple more days. So just close your eyes. :smiley:

Start: BG: 87 Dexcom: 96 (20g carbs)
1 mile: BG: 113 Dexcom: 108
2: BG: 115 Dexcom: 145 (20g carbs)
3: BG: 109 Dexcom: 137
4: BG: 104 Dexcom: 146 (4.6 miles— 20g carbs)
5: BG: 125 Dexcom: 163
6: BG: 148 Dexcom: 177
7: BG: 133 Dexcom: 179

I noticed today that I used kind of an old way of thinking because of having the Dexcom in front of me. Even though I was feeling nice and stable at 4 miles, I saw back to back readings of 146 on the Dexcom— and it made me worried I was going to start to drop. It wasn’t real, and I know it’s why you want me to just do finger sticks, but these are the things I need to happen in order for me to arrive at those ideas on my own (and therefore be able to claim they were my own in the first place). :smiley: Anyway, because of fear and not reality, I did another 20g of carbs that I genuinely didn’t feel I needed. It was just interesting. It’s my new thing these days— considering the role of fear in it all. Anyway, after that round of carbs, I did climb steadily for a couple of miles. I’m not sure I needed it at all, but I definitely could’ve waited a while longer, and would’ve had I just been watching my BG numbers. It was fine though because the thing I least wanted was to head into the last 15 minutes feeling wobbly, and I didn’t. I was excited for the last 15 minutes the entire run, and when I got there, I felt great. First 6 miles, completed in an hour on the dot, were at about a 4.5 RPE, so I had plenty left to turn it up a little. I didn’t test during the last piece because I just wanted to enjoy the run and had a feeling i was plenty high anyway, and that was all fine. I finished at 7.9 miles in 75 minutes. And really wanted 8 but was happy anyway. I didn’t do any boluses before the end of the run today because I was still too nervous to do it with the last piece still ahead of me. Looking back, I probably would’ve been just fine doing a small bolus of .5 or so… as that’s what I’ve done on the last couple of runs.

When I got off the treadmill, my BG went up to a 164. I gave myself 2 units IM and started some calisthenics. Within 20 minutes, my BG was at 204. I did a pump bolus of another 1.5 units and continued my exercises. I was back to a 154 maybe 20 minutes after that, and it’s been pretty smooth sailing since.

That’s a lot. I felt great, and my RPE never went above a 7. My legs feel wonderful, and I haven’t been tired in the least. I could’ve run again. In my head at least.

My race is on February 17th… I just looked up the information. Please tell me that’s what we were shooting for?? I hope I didn’t confuse the date anywhere…

1 Like