DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Are you eating breakfast? You bolused for the coffee, right?

It’s a potential problem if you are not going to eat before running. A 70 point drop is not what we want.

1 Like

I eat a piece of cheese. :neutral_face: no bolus for coffee.

What kind of shop you think I’m running around here? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So I get that, but everything you add into the mix, the higher I’m going…potentially. This morning was a stupid diabetes anomaly. No basal, no boluses, BONUS coffee, and a 150?? This is usually a 250 kind of morning… 350 if it’s in the cards. I certainly don’t think I can try to make any changes based on today as it was a fluke. The coffee is a problem and will continue to be one… I’m not trying to weasel my way out of that, but it’s usually a high that’s the problem.

And as far as having coffee 2 hours in advance… that’s tricky right now with the heat and the kids home from school. Unless I woke up at 6 am… which would be fine if I weren’t staying up late chatting away my night talking to YoU GUYS…so maybe we should really look at your role in all of this. :grin:

2 Likes

Hate to say it, but that doesn’t really do much to fuel your run.

If you keep up with the exercise, your 250 or 350 spikes from coffee will be a thing of the past. I can promise you that. Eventually a 150 will be normal from the coffee.

But still, if you do not eat anything in the morning, that big drop will not get any better.

I need you to get some carbs before your run. Either a meal a few hours before, or a smaller snack right before.

Okay, and that would be awesome, but until it IS a thing of the past, i still have the problem of my high…

Dang, Eric…

I bought a very gross 5 hour energy drink today and gagged just thinking about it. But in the name of science… Now this is just a straight experiment that really doesn’t require any kind of mansplaining or @ClaudnDaye style arrows, but from one intelligent diabetic to another (if you could just go find someone for me to ask), how should I handle the experiment? In place of my morning coffee?? Have you ever had one of these things? Does it even wake you up??

And about the run…

1 Like

So headphones didn’t work again this morning. Which means they’re not going to work ever again. But i didn’t know that before this morning so it meant i had to carry a second phone, and wired headphones… which is on top of a first phone, a watch on each wrist, pump, Libre, guardian and sugar tabs. I looked like i was fleeing a RadioShack robbery… (That would’ve been a really slow-paced getaway… so thank goodness it wasn’t really what happened).

So I ran 4.5 miles in 40 minutes. Whatever that comes out to… Less than 10 minutes a mile, right, so that’s okay. Everything was pretty good, and I could’ve even gone farther/further if it weren’t for the CONSTANT need to adjust things. On a maddening level. I think my actual running RPE would’ve been like a 5ish… but with gadgets and Siri and earphones falling out, it was like 6 or 7. If my dad had seen me, he would’ve made me go leave it all on the doorstep.

Okay, as we’ve already covered, I left around a 152 or something and returned at a 79?? Whatever I said earlier, and… what am I missing? Oh! I forgot to try the new shoes.

There were a couple of cool things I thought I’d mention about today…

1. I felt strong. I even kind of felt like a “runner”. Except for when I crossed paths with shirtless (real) runners, and then I just wanted to hide all of my electronics.

2. I went way farther/further (I’ll check on correct usage for the next post) than usual before I even felt the need to look at the time. Which is just a good feeling. Not wishing the seconds would move faster.

3. And when I DID check the time, 14 minutes to go, I kind of just went, “Huh. Not bad.” And I don’t think it was more than a couple of weeks ago when I would’ve already completed a workout and been on my way home in that amount of time.

4. But then, just a funny side note, when I DID decide to look again and saw 19 MINUTES, there was a moment of shock and then sadness when I realized that the first 14 minutes was how much I had run… not how much I had left. Which basically negates items 1-3…

:+1:

1 Like

Hey, several things here.

Did the 5 hour energy drinks you got have caffeine? If so, yes try one in the morning instead of coffee. Just an experiment to see if the caffeine is the issue, or something in the coffee is spiking you other than caffeine.

How are you carrying your stuff? Get a SpiBelt or FlipBelt or Amphipod. Or one of each.

There are a lot of easy ways to get geared up:

http://www.amphipod.com/products/holders/airflow-microstretch-waistpacks

Since you are on zero basal when running, why not unplug your pump and leave it at home and just bring a 1/2 unit pen with you? That’s smaller.

This is all you need for D. This will all fit in a SpiBelt:

• gtabs or some form of running gel gu
  • 1/2 unit pen
  • about 10 strips that you put in a Listerine breath mints holder that you cleaned out
  • a Contour Next One meter, which is very small
  • a lancet

I can send you a strip holder. I have to make some for a few people

1 Like

Good point. Wait… are there “energy” drinks without??

They make a decaf 5 hour energy. It’s just vitamins and stuff.

Look, I am not a proponent of 5 hour energy. I am just suggesting we use it as a caffeine source instead of coffee, just for a test.

2 Likes

Oh, I know that. I just need to see what I bought. I’m just giving you a hard time… all of the time. You have already really helped me in many ways, and I have a one hour run tomorrow… that I’m looking forward to. That’s amazing. And I’ll be happy to guzzle a 5 hour energy to figure out what’s doing what… to my own body. :slightly_smiling_face:

Do the 5 hour energy on a non-running day, as an experiment to see what happens to your BG.

Don’t do it for the first time before a run, okay!?!?

2 Likes

Soooooo glad you said that. I’ve been researching 5 hour energy for the last 20 minutes, scaring the crap out of myself, and picturing myself heading out the door and dropping dead. Then we’d never know whether or not it was the coffee or the caffeine.

I’m gonna sleep better tonight with that. Good catch. :smiley:

You didn’t say anything about my run today… I don’t think… Yeah? It was okay??

Yes, sorry. Your run looks great!

Your posts have so many different things in them! I lose track. I got sidetracked on spibelt and 5 hour energy.

:hugs:

1 Like

farther!

1 Like

That’s what I thought. :hugs::hugs:

6.6 miles. One hour. RPE was a mess because my blood sugar was a mess… but it got better the second part of the run. Hips… hips have been giving me little hints of pain for the last couple of weeks, but it just hasn’t been consistent, so I was hoping they wouldn’t be a thing. Today they were definitely a thing.

So, and I know I give you a lot of information in my posts, but i don’t know how to talk less, this morning I woke up to a BG of 30. I ate my coffee I think. With one fast cup I jumped to a 78ish. I ended up having 2 more. I was NOT feeling up to this this morning, but it’s supposed to rain all day so it was do or die. Anyway, I did my 60 min ZB, 3 cups of coffee, an EXTRA 35 minutes of suspend and headed out the door at a 99 and returned at a 94. Second day of “couldn’t plan this if I paid for it.” I needed 3 sugar tabs within 12 minutes of starting and had 5 or 6 more over the course of the run. But you heard that 6.6 mile part, right? Because there was that. :smiley:

That’s all of the info you want, right? Oh, i ate 2 pieces of cheese this morning. How are we doing with that then?

1 Like

Hi DN,
Lemme try to get all the pieces of the post! Your posts are like a kaleidoscope of thoughts!

Hips - are you doing your core work? Focus on the hip portions. Hip flexors, hip adductors, the side-bridges. All of those things.

Cheese - doesn’t really help you on a run. It may not hurt, but it is not doing anything for fuel.

Needed 3 sugar tabs within 12 minutes - remember what I said about this. Go up a few posts and read this :arrow_down:

Happy about the distance, time, and the work today. All very good stuff. Longer periods of elevated hear rate build up the enzymes in your muscle cells, increase mitochondria, and increase your capillaries density. All very good for your fitness.

Great job today. Keep working the program!

That one was my best effort on straight forward… so I don’t know what to tell you.
Didn’t they used to describe einstein’s thoughts as “kaleidoscopic”? I think I remember that. I’ll try to go slower for you in the future.

2 Likes

Were there other exercises?? im focusing on it all… or you mean because of the rain? :grin: I’m trying to follow your responses… they can be so scattered. :rofl:

I know. But it brings happiness and also doesn’t cause a bigger rise on the every other normal morning of my life where coffee spikes me. Coffee usually spikes me… almost without exception, Eric. It’s been the staple in my diabetic management… and if it turns out coffee doesn’t spike me, I’m done being diabetic. :star_struck::star_struck:

Seriously. I’d like to retire.

Yeah, I don’t forget. I override. :grimacing: But I usually don’t override one second before having collected 15 years of evidence to the contrary. :hugs::hugs::hugs::grin::thinking:

Seriously I have problems with this morning routine. Tomorrow I’m trying a 5 hour energy, no run. I feel REALLY sorry for the people in this house… but not enough to warn them.

I love it when we get to this part.

Right?

Maybe if you could just keep it simple, I could. We could try. You could try. :grin:

I am not saying “don’t eat cheese”. Eat it all you want.

But what I am saying is that eating it before a run provides no value for you.

If you have a few carbs before, that reduces the sugar tabs you need to take after you start.

Only 10 grams of carbs 10 minutes before you start will provide about the same value as 20 grams a few miles in. And without the low feeling you are probable getting when you are needing to take the tabs while running.

1 Like