Discussions around picky eating

Re: picky eating, I think it depends on what level of picky eating you’re talking about. Super-tasting runs in one side of my family, with many people on that side demonstrating very strong taste/smell aversions as kids. I was one of them—when I was younger, most foods were so beyond gross to me, and I had to retreat to my room if my mom cooked fish or braised brussels sprouts or something smelly because just the smell would be so aversively overwhelming. My mom’s attempts to make me broaden my diet tended to backfire and made eating way more stressful. That said, all of us in my family with those aversions as kids grew up into adventurous eaters as adults—I’m pretty sure it’s that all that sensitivity just starts to naturally lessen in adolescence for many. I still am very sensitive to tastes/smells (I’m good at picking out subtle ingredients in dishes and I smell things most people can’t detect), but now I tend to enjoy that in my food vs being overwhelmed by it. I’m now one of the most adventurous eaters I know who loves vegetables, despite my mom never having been successful whatsoever in getting me to eat them as a kid. So I guess I’m saying, it’s worth trying to get your kids to eat broadly, and strategies like the ones mentioned on this thread can make sense, but if your kid is just ultra sensitive and attempts to make them diversify cause stress without gains, then they still may grow out of it eventually on their own.

I usually eat and then take my insulin, as opposed to pre-bolusing. I might take a little less insulin, depending, but it’s more often a slight delay off whatever my usual timing would be. I’m comfortable taking insulin when outright low though if I know it’s warranted (like if I’m 55 and just way over treated), since I know now that even rapid acting insulin takes a lot longer to work than I’d like it to.

2 Likes