Discussion of Government Response to Covid-19

no not all their ideas

In my world, kind and reasonable people don’t repeatedly tell someone they must be mentally ill (which doc has done to me several times) or accuse them of “Trump Derangement Syndrome” for the temerity of expressing opinions they don’t like. I can handle disagreement fine. It seems like it’s the conservatives on this forum who devolve into mudslinging rather than using mature debate. That’s why I’m blocking doc, not because of disagreement.

I’ve certainly been smeared, much worse for having mainstream reasonable conservative views… think I’ve been pretty level headed in discussions with people who don’t agree with me politically… and the same rules and expectations don’t seem to apply to them… again due largely to the media and the smear campaign it no longer makes any attempt to hide toward all people and values conservative

Wait what happened to the comment in which you claimed your and doc’s use of Trump Derangement Syndrome wasn’t a personal attack? Did you realize how ridiculously false that was and delete it?

Argumentum ad Hominem: the fallacy of attacking the character or circumstances of an individual who is advancing a statement or an argument instead of trying to disprove the truth of the statement or the soundness of the argument. Often the argument is characterized simply as a personal attack.

I didn’t delete it

I consider TDS to be a real problem in this country

Think the media is mostly to blame for it

1 Like

You know what, you watch as the people you know and love and provide service have their rights and means of support stripped away from them and violence incited against them by this farce of a President, and maybe you wouldn’t be such a fan either. The media has nothing to do with it. Many of us live in a much bigger and more diverse reality than you seem to grasp exists, and we can see the effects with our own eyes on the people around us. You may need to go beyond Fox News to learn about any of that though.

1 Like

My mother is now showing symptoms in that community I mentioned earlier that were exposed to the virus because no measures were implemented for citizens returning to China.

The symptoms are spot on for COVID 19

Now we have to deal with the fallout of this administration’s incompetence.

1 Like

Ok I’ll check out cnn

Guess I missed the memo when anyone had rights stripped away. Guess that wasn’t on Fox.

I’m sorry to hear that. I can assure you it wouldn’t be working out any better with anyone else’s administration. I hope it’s a false alarm.

As we already explored—- the news that the trump admin turned down early testing that could have led to better outcomes—- completely false.

But I understand we gotta blame someone. During Ebola those advocating for travel bans were shouted down and called racists… now we’re accused of incompetence for not having them sooner

Yeah, glad you feel better after saying that

Because that’s what matters right now

1 Like

I’m sure it wasn’t, so not surprised you missed it. If you dismiss all of the media that doesn’t laud Trump as “fake,” you’ve probably missed a lot of things that have happened in the past four years. Maybe do some research on what Trump has done to trans people in this country, for starters. Also, re his unprecedented cutting of support, maybe research the programs he has functionally defunded that previously had broad bipartisan support as the obviously beneficial things they are, like ORS.

So what do you suggest in the current situation? Other than reciting fake news about the administrations handling of the situation — what would you have done differently?

Some random idiot foreign minister implying the US military is involved with the covid-19 virus sounds very similar to me to human scumbag Republican Senator Tom Cotton. Remember way back in January when Republican Senator Tom Cotton came up with the theory that the Chinese military created the corona virus as a weapon? And Cotton continues to push his insane theory on foxnews, the rightful home of crackpot conspiracy theories https://www.foxnews.com/media/sen-tom-cotton-coronavirus-origins “Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark. stood by his earlier suggestion that the deadly coronavirus may have originated in a high-security biochemical lab in Wuhan, China”

Sorry, but crackpot theories voiced by idiots in the government don’t justify racism, or at least I don’t think they do. And I hope you don’t either.

1 Like

You need to check on what is a lie and what is the truth. The truth is that idiot trump disbanded the group whose responsibility it was to protect the american public from pandemics. You know, the NSC Global Health Security Office? When he did that he saved a small amount of money, but at what cost? He got rid of the pandemic planning that had been done and lost the staff. Now that we are in the midst of a pandemic, it would be nice to have those people and those plans in place, wouldn’t it?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/03/18/coronavirus-did-president-trumps-decision-disband-global-pandemic-office-hinder-response/5064881002/
“Gross misjudgment: Experts say Trump’s decision to disband pandemic team hindered coronavirus response”
“Bolton’s chosen approach to NSC ‘streamlining’ involved decapitating and diluting the White House’s focus on pandemic threats,” Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development, wrote in a rebuttal. “He eliminated the senior director position entirely, closed the biodefense directorate, and spread the remaining staff across other parts of the NSC.”

3 Likes

It is in my opinion pathetic when the strongest argument that can be made to defend our moron in chief is that he has never said things - when he is on video saying those exact things in front of crowds.

As Trump tries to re-write history, and willing idiots sign up to help him, let’s be explicit about what our pathetic leader has actually said about the Covid-19 virus. Here you can see him in clips from Feb 4 to March 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjTaR748eg

“Now the virus that we’re talking about having to do, you know a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat”

“Because of all we’ve done, the risk to the American people remains very low.”

“People die from the flu, and this is very unusual. And it is a little bit different, but in some ways, it’s easier and in some ways its a little bit tougher. But we have it so well under control. I mean, view this the same as the flu.”

“It’s going to disappear one day. It’s like a miracle. It will disappear. And from our shores, you know, it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We’ll see what happens.”

“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. And this is their new hoax.”

“If you’re healthy you will probably go through a process, and you’ll be fine.”

“Anybody that needs a test can have a test. They’re all set”

“I don’t think its inevitable, could be at a very small level or at a larger level. Whatever happens we’re totally prepared.”

“If, you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work, some of them go to work, but they get better”

None of the above is true, and you know it as well as I do. Trump knew this trainwreck was coming, but he misinformed the public and downplayed the risk. He claimed he had it under control, but he did not have it under control, as shown by the fact that we are STILL waiting for test kits to detect corona virus, and we will soon be at risk for running out of the respirators necessary to keep patients alive.

Once it was clear that covid testing was (and still is) woefully inadequate, he brazenly pointed his finger in other directions: “I don’t take responsibility at all”. The true sign of a gutless leader. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOcY3XlzPzs

And now of course he is falling back on the last defense that he has, which requires all of us to erase our memories of the past, as he pretends that “we have a problem that a month ago nobody thought about”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWWzpBbmwY

2 Likes

Trump Derangement Syndrome, is that a term to describe the state of Trump’s own mental health and behavior, or the habit of republicans to defend all of Trump’s indefensible behavior, which they would never accept from anyone else, or the tendency of democrats to react furiously to everything Trump does, no matter how unimportant the issue may be? :thinking: Or simply another attempt to hijack medical terminology for political purposes, along with all the newly invented phobias?

1 Like

That one

I would add the word hysteria though

For 24/7 example, check our cnn or msnbc

1 Like

It would be hilarious how hypocritical the right’s tendency to scream FAKE NEWS at anything they don’t agree with is, especially when they levy things like TDS at anyone not on their side, if it weren’t causing so much damage.

So now it’s coming out that at least some of the initial downplaying of the virus by the GOP/Trump was likely motivated by what is always behind everything they do if you look hard enough—the desire to make very rich people richer. At least GOP members of the senate used insider info from intelligence committees to dump stock while telling people the virus posed no real threat/was being overblown. Some also bought stock in the very companies who create the secure networks many of us working from home currently are relying on. This by the way is a federal crime, and all of them should not only be removed from office but prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and fined the entirety of their profits and then some. Look, I’m even starting with a story about it from the WSJ, which is a conservative/Republican-leaning outlet (i.e., does not just fabricate stuff like Fox does):

When it doubt, rest assured, it’s always about money. I’m not honestly surprised when people valued at many millions of dollars support Trump—he’s giving them plenty of breaks and most of them probably strongly value their personal wealth since they got there somehow. I am always amazed at how anyone else with a brain ends up deluded that anything he does is about helping them, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Amazing what racist/xenophobic dog-whistling and fascist-leaning populist messaging will get people to ignore.

1 Like

Diane Feinstein? Notice she was only mentioned once… do you really not see the disparity?

Trump downplayed the significance and delayed response? He shut down international travel while people were howling about how racist it was. Now he’s being criticized for not acting sooner… can’t win

1 Like

It’s no use. They want to refer to us as deranged, yet you can literally show them video evidence of Trump doing and saying things, as well as evidence of the actions he has taken, and somehow the MAGA crowd still shouts FAKE NEWS. There’s no reasoning with that. It’s literally not possible.

1 Like