Discussion of Government Response to Covid-19

The cdc and NIH, primarily

But yes if an equally qualified professional organization such as the ACP took a strong consensus position on something like that I would certainly consider it

Did you have other thoughts?

Believe me I’ve been very critical of fda processes quite consistently for years… which is why I am happy to see them being streamlined in this cAse

According to Politifact the WHO never offered coronavirus test kits. Secondly, according to Politifact, the WHO test is not unreliable, but lacks FDA approval, because the test was never submitted for approval.

1 Like

The reporter references politifact when asking the question to trump in the quote I posted.

Good article. Myth debunked.

So much fake news out there. And lol this headline came from joe Biden.

Yes, but neither Trump nor Birx seems to confirm that the WHO offered anything.

“The Biden campaign referred us to a Politico article that said the WHO shipped coronavirus tests to nearly 60 countries at the end of February, but the U.S. was not among them. That is technically correct, but it suggests that the United States would have been on the list under any circumstances.

The countries WHO helped are ones that lack the virology lab horsepower that exists across the United States. The outreach work by the Pan American Health Organization is a case in poinT”

Bottom line… fake news

@Katers87 Doctor, I’m talking to you as a health professional colleague. Let me give you an example in my field.

SDF, or silver diamine fluoride is newly recognised in the US to arrest incipient interproximal decay in teeth. It has no side effects and is easy to apply.

If my radiographs identified 47% false positives for decay, and I applied SDF to each of those patients, three things would happen. First, the patients would be unduly inconvenienced; second, I would have utilized my time and supplies very poorly; and third, at least one of those 47% of false positive patients would probably have successfully sued me.

As you will learn a 47% false positive rate reduces the quality of the work to guess work. I sincerely hope your time in medical school gives you more than the ability to take a guess.

I think your professors would concur.

1 Like

Now imagine that that 47% caused the isolation of a doctor who could have saved dozens of lives
Or maybe the closure of the lab that would have found a vaccine or effective treatment… imagine whole hospitals being shut down because inexplicable untraceable false positives popping up…

Then imagine it happened 100 times

Yes, it appears they dodged the question. You are right.

There’s no need to be condescending @docslotnick. You know very little about me. I have not attacked you personally because it’s not necessary.

1 Like

@Katers87 Not for a moment was I trying to be condescending. I’m just trying to give you some of the benefit of my 42 years in dental practice, 6 of those years teaching at dental school. And I am certainly not attacking you.

I’m sorry if it came across wrong.

2 Likes

There’s a good description of the WHO test kit story at Snopes, which is pretty reliable at separating fact from fiction.

2 Likes

Snopes is a decent source. My only objection to them is they still characterize things in an out of balance way, but they do explain facts. They would have rated that as completely false 4 years ago as the entire underlying premise that the USA “refused them” is completely false because they weren’t offered or made available to the USA…

That’s the bigger sign of the times though is that the media is so motivated to throw dirt at the president that they genuinely don’t seem to care if what they’re reporting is accurate any more, as long as it can be made to sound like the trump admin did something dumb, that consideration seems to be more important than the truth

Conveying and interpreting the tone of posts can be difficult online. I appreciate you saying that.

I hope they will be streamlined in the future too.

It’s very hard to see the numbers in the U.S. climb. Italy’s median age is 10 years older than ours, but obviously median age varies by city/state here. Their deaths/day are staggering given the level of measures occurring there. Recent reports indicate that younger people in the U.S. are also being affected, so a younger population will not necessarily save us from the same fate.

I feel very fortunate right now because I am safe and healthy, but I’m very concerned about others in my life and how long we’ll need to be hunkering down like this- some people with no income. I also feel like there are so many unknowns. It now looks like the virus can survive in the air for quite some time.

It is not reassuring for me to watch the president exaggerate how awesome he and his administration are handling this when it is clear that we’re going to be in serious trouble in a few weeks. This seems like his reaction to everything so there’s really no way to know how much of a handle they have on things- other than the fact that testing rolled out way too late. It’s very frustrating.

I respect Dr. Fauci acknowledging the frailties in the system and creating a clear plan of action for the future. That shows he has a level head and truly understands the situation. I am relieved he is on the team.

Hopefully people will take the recommendations of government officials seriously and just stay home.

That’s what @docslotnick does when he gets worked up, don’t take it personally, because it’s about him not you. He has made unnecessary personal attacks toward me through private messages and publicly, several times now. He already did at the very start of this thread. I don’t think he is able to have political debates without doing so. I highly recommend going to his profile and setting it to ignoring him. It makes the forum rather more pleasant!

Lol, except he’s one of the nicest and most considerate people on the forum. Because he said “tds” is not exactly a personal attack

I don’t understand why left leaners have such disdain for anyone with other ideas. That sentiment isn’t shared by the right

The late great Charles krauthammer summed it up succinctly when he noted that “conservatives think liberals are stupid, but liberals think conservatives are evil” (paraphrased)

We see that manifesting throughout society and our discussions, particularly in the media which of course is very liberal… they seem to have taken the position “well we don’t have to report the truth because the opponent is evil and it’s our job to discredit and destroy…” sometimes the truth is just an unfortunate obstacle between them and that goal

1 Like

@Sam “Conservatives think Liberals are people with bad ideas; Liberals think Conservatives are bad people”

And @cardamom Disagreeing with you and proving my point should not be misconstrued as a personal attack. That’s your problem, not mine.

1 Like

Then the funny thing is… they block everyone with different views on social media. They get their news from heavily biased sources, to the point that the entire media leans so far left that it no longer is representing reality… they they are shocked when elections represent a different reality than the one that’s existed inside an echo chamber that they very carefully constructed

This comment - originally made by Sam - is very offensive and a bit ironic.

It’s an attack on the people… not issues.

1 Like

When you refer to what someone “thinks” that’s generally a reference to their ideas

All of their ideas apparently. Seems to be the same thing to me.

1 Like