Dexcom: when it works, it's great, but when it doesn't it stinks

I usually have very good accuracy, but the one I inserted on Tuesday has been the absolute most ridiculous one I’ve ever used. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be for those of you who can’t get consistently good results.

Few things are more annoying to me than seeing LOW in big red letters when you’re somewhere around 80. This dang thing is convinced there’s some kind of blood sugar emergency least once an hour :roll_eyes:

Just wanted to commiserate for a moment… I hope you find better luck with it as time goes by!

1 Like

my dex runs on the low side, so according to it, i am six feet from my grave at least once a day :wink:

1 Like

Not very helpful, that! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Me, too, more often than I’d like.

1 Like

tell me about it :wink: it can be a real PITA!

1 Like

I usually get very accurate results, and the only times this has happened to me, when I’ve removed the sensor, the filament has been bloody. I bet that’s what’s going on, and if it is (or even if it’s something else unknown), Dexcom will replace a wonky sensor as long as it hasn’t expired.

I was just about to give up on it, but after a couple days it pretty much settled down. I despise making phone calls almost as much as I hate inaccurate sensors, so I felt like it was worth sticking it out to avoid another call to dexcom :grin:

Hahaha. I post this, and 3 hours later… sensor error. Grrr. Here’s to hoping it comes back soon :joy:

1 Like

i am trying this out now. i put it on around lunchtime and i’ll see how it works for me. i had some good flesh there and it doesnt seem to rub together at all, even while i am lying down…and a good thing about it is that i can roll over on either side while sleeping. i really hope that this is a good and accurate location. it was so easy and didnt hurt at all upon insertion.

please pray for me. i need all the help i can get!!!

5 Likes

I hope so too !! Glad you’re off to a great start.

I also flip sides while sleeping, and when I tried the outer thigh location, didn’t work as well.

1 Like

I’ve been having a good run with G5 sensors. I started a new one today and it’s been a disaster so far. Normally if the sensor hasn’t recovered by now it’s not going to work. I may have to start a new sensor tonight.

The thing that bugs me is that I’ve placed this sensor in my favorite spot (low back) to see if it would work again. The spot hasn’t worked well for a few months so I went higher up my back and that worked fine. Signs are pointing toward Dexcom induced scar tissue…which isn’t supposed to be a huge risk factor…but I’m thinking this area might be toast.

4 Likes

I wasn’t going to share this because I was ashamed of it…but with Diabetes, you have to be willing to take the bad with the good.

So, yesterday, we also changed Liam’s sensor. Below are the two screenshots of what followed.

What I’ve observed lately…NEW sensors (for us) always have a period now where we get multiple disconnects in data. This never used to happen…now every single sensor, without fail, we have two or three periods where there are question marks for an hour or more. After these initial disconnects, there aren’t anymore disconnects until the end of the 7 or 10 day sensor period. This is a fairly new problem for us.

So…as much as I’m ashamed of it, this is what happened to us last night.

7 hours over 200.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ll let this one keep rolling, then. I’m on my second disconnect now. I’ve not experienced this before.

Please don’t be ashamed. I think you guys do AMAZING work. And thank you for sharing. I’ll see how this one pans out. I would love for this sensor to get things figured out so that I can check “worrying about Dexcom induced scar tissue and figuring a new rotation pattern and location for Dexcom that doesn’t interfere with my pod sites” off of my To Do list.

4 Likes

Yes, please give it more time. We use the G5 also and this happens ALL the time now for us. Probably for two months now. Cooincidently, this same timeframe is when I’ve moved into the “new batch” that everyone experienced the other issue of shorter sensor durations. Now our sensors give us only 7 days…at max around 10 (we used to get a minimum of 14 days and a max of around 20 days for each sensor.) …good old days seem to be gone.

3 Likes

Sorry for finding out that the new sensors are the same for you that they were for us. :frowning:

Please don’t beat yourself up for 7 hours above 200, diabetes happens…

You guys are doing a great job.

6 Likes

Any updates?

Thanks for checking and thank you for telling me to hold on and wait for it to settle out!

So, I still don’t trust it, but I’ve posted my notes on the graph above.

Weird thing is that I am not in a new batch of G5 sensors. I am currently theorizing that well-used Dexcom skin slows down my sensor acclimation. I have never injected or pumped in these skin areas. So I’m guessing my skin quality is part of this…and sensor quirk is part of this…but this is a marked change to Day 1 performance compared to fresh areas of skin.

Thanks for checking in!

I’m not even reading the rest of anything in this thread. I clicked on it only because I’m procrastinating and saw two lines in your comment that spoke of shame. I hope you don’t drag that around, @ClaudnDaye. The whole shame thing. I don’t think there’s any time or place in diabetes management for it. Trust me. :smiley: Everything you do that works well is a reason to celebrate, and everything you do that doesn’t is an opportunity to learn. I learn every stinkin single day with my disease. But I’ve shed the shame.

I did just come at you with a whole lotta preaching this morning. You were this morning’s online winner. Now I have to go find someone to educate in my house or on the block. Maybe at the store.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, as a caregiver, I failed here. I know it happens but I can’t help but be sad and ashamed because each time this happens, I’m failing the adult Liam. Adulthood complications are going to be prevented potentially by avoiding these types of incidents. Again, I’m not dwelling on it but each time this happens, I kick myself and sigh in frustration because I don’t want to ever hurt my children… Not now, not ever.

4 Likes

You’re saving your children.

The other stuff that happens to our loved ones, we cannot control nor are we responsible for it.

You’re protecting him.

4 Likes

Yes, and no. I guess my point is…complications of hyperglycemia manifest themselves in adulthood…sometimes much later in life. Each of these incidents ADDS TOO that pool inside the body that has to get filled up in order for these issues to manifest themselves…and we know them well:

• Cardiovascular disease
  • Nerve damage (neuropathy)
  • Kidney damage (diabetic nephropathy) or kidney failure
  • Damage to the blood vessels of the retina (diabetic retinopathy), potentially leading to blindness
  • Clouding of the normally clear lens of your eye (cataract)
  • Feet problems caused by damaged nerves or poor blood flow that can lead to serious skin infections, ulcerations, and in some severe cases, amputation
  • Bone and joint problems
  • Teeth and gum infections
  • Amputations
  • etc.,

So, the more I control those TODAY, in Liam and the more I can keep these at a minimum in his youth, the less likely he is to get these bad things later in life. I know when he’s an adult, he’ll be responsible for his health, but the first 16 years of his life we are responsible…as long as these incidents are infrequent, it shouldn’t be an issue…but I don’t like ketones at all…a single ketone in his body and I’m not happy. No one wants to aid in the poisoning of their children.

Caregiver guilt I guess…

3 Likes