Dexcom Sensor Replacement Policy

Just saw this reference regarding Dexcom policy on replacement sensors: Sensor Replacement Policy | Dexcom

I don’t know if this is a change in policy as the page appears undated, but I know the subject is often raised and discussed.

4 Likes

what a crock, from the link… as a gesture of goodwill more like as an increase to our bottom line

When I first got on the G6 I spent many hours on the phone with Tech services as well as Dexcom’s local rep. I told her the G6 was not ready for prime time. It almost never lasts the 10 days… I had many questions for her. She said she would check with her supervisor for the answers. Of course she never called me back.

I started with the G4 pretty good device. The G5 I had to skip because of insurance coverage gap. I don’t know exactly when Dexcom stopped caring about their customers but it is really evident now it’s all about the money.

Dexcom as bad as they are is still the best (for me). but the moment something better comes along I am gone, long gone.

I’m confused why this is a problem. Seems reasonable policy to me.

In the event a user requests a replacement for a non-defective sensor (sensor removed for a procedure, user application errors, etc.), the user will be provided with educational materials in the hopes of preventing future issues. In addition, as a gesture of goodwill, Dexcom will provide replacements if needed to ensure continued sensor supply, in a limited quantity each year.

Under these circumstances:

• G-Series*: Dexcom will provide a maximum of three (3) goodwill replacement sensors in a twelve (12) month period.
  • Dexcom ONE* / Dexcom ONE+*: Dexcom will provide a maximum of two (2) goodwill replacement sensors in a twelve (12) month period.

Many people build up a backup supply by restarting G6 sensors. I can usually get 3-4 more days by removing transmitter, wait 20 minutes, and then put back transmitter on same sensor, and do start on same sensor.
This allows more days on each sensor.

There are other detailed discussions on this site on removing transmitter.

This is why I still use G6, not G7.

Me too :grin: Let me apologize when I made my post yesterday I was pretty upset with all my resent Dexcom issue, this continues into this morning at 4:30 am.

3 “G” Sensors, no questions asked, replacements in a year is very fair, even overly fair.

My concern is for the future failed sensor replacement requests. It seems that Dexcom is going to make it much harder get get failed sensors replacements. I don’t know if anyone else is getting emails from Dexcom about every 7-10 days apart?

" CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

Dexcom G7 Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGM)

Follow Instructions for G7 Sensor Insertion – Including Use of Required Overpatch"

There is lot more in these emails. It seems good that Dexcom is trying to make sure every one is putting it on correctly however it feels a lot like they are covering their bases because they are going to harder to get replacement sensors, even defective, failed ones.

IE their Policy link:

"Dexcom will replace all sensors that we confirm as failures during the intended lifetime of the sensors through investigation. "

I am one that tries very hard to be fair to everyone even if it is to my own expense. When I have asked Dexcom for failed sensor replacement in the past I checked what day they failed & will note that. Example: if one fails on day 7 & another on day 7 & another on day 6 that’s 10 day I missed out on. I will then ask for a replacement sensor.

In all the years I have been using Dexcom I have only been asked to return 2 maybe 3 sensors. The most recent was a couple of weeks ago. This kind of coincides with Dexcom’s Policy we see here.

I just am very nervious that it’s going to be harder & harder to get failed sensor legitimately replaced in the future.

@MM2 Thank you for the suggestion. I used to do all that including restarting with putting receiver in a Faraday Bag so it couldn’t be read. Dupuytren Contracture in my hands does not allow me to remove a Dexcom G6 transmitter & put it back in to do the restart. But I Thank you for your input.

Cheers :smiley:

2 Likes

While I agree Dexcom has a need for a replacement policy, I take issue with their seeming “deign” to provide (the “goodwill” statement) three replacements with no further process or criteria. I also take issue with Dexcom’s seeming unilateral decision authority to set this policy without concurrence of governmental approval authority review. This “policy” indicates they take no responsibility to live up to the approval process, criteria, and implied/explicit test parameters used by the various “approval” authorities for the product, i.e. a 10-day lifetime (admittedly on average), age of users, demonstrated reasonable accuracy, and at least an implied “compatibility” level with the user population. Dexcom advertises and sells an implied/explicit warranty of their product based on their test results and needs to be held accountable; a reasonable replacement policy seems appropriate to support the results based on an expected failure rate or incompatible population of users. Not everyone is going to get the tested results; there is a percentage of the population that will have body chemistry incompatible with the product (device material reactions/toleration) or similar. Dexcom and the government authorities granting approval for product sale need the processes and criteria to make such judgements and buyers/users have an expected right to know those processes and criteria as well. In addition, Dexcom needs and should have the ability to address the people taking advantage of the process and criteria, or lack there of, to obtain free product without meeting the established criteria (would that it were not so).

I’m sure there are other arguments and perspectives I haven’t thought of or addressed…

Dexcom says:

Dexcom will replace all sensors that we confirm as failures during the intended lifetime of the sensors through investigation.

If I am getting ridiculous readings for an extended time, if I get an error, if I get no readings for an extended time, or if it does not last 10 days - I get it replaced.

If it falls off on day 1-7, I get it replaced. (If it is day 8 or 9, I generally give them a pass.)

I have never had any issues with getting it replaced for any of those :arrow_up: issues.

Overall, I think this is reasonable.

I have never had to call them and say, “Oh, I had to remove my sensor early because of a photo shoot I am doing for Sports Illustrated. Can you replace it please?”

4 Likes

I’ll just say from a consumer standpoint the Dexcom policy is fairly easy to understand to most users.

Is it perfect, probably not.

Good news is we now have a choice. If we feel Dexcom is screwing the user, we have at least two other choices.

3 Likes

Started with G5 now on G7. I have never had a problem with getting replacement sensors. I would never ask for replacement if sensor fell off due to my negligence. Always had to wear over patch to keep on along with SkinTac. Lately have noticed sensor stays on for full 10 days only using SkinTac. No over patch. Not sure if they changed adhesive. But makes me happy.

2 Likes