Dexcom purchased TypeZero

Dexcom has purchased TypeZero — the company that developed the Control-IQ hybrid closed loop algorithm that Tandem is trialing in the t:slim X2 with expected release in 2019.

4 Likes

Not sure if that’s a good thing. What do you think?

2 Likes

What does that mean for Insulet? Aren’t they using Dexcom for their Horizon system? Does that mean that Dexcom users are better off going with the t:slim than with Omnipod in the long run?

How long before dexcom buys tandem?

I think you find great images that speak better than words!!

2 Likes

It might be a good thing. It helps keep the TypeZero technology from being proprietary to a single pump company, which gives it a better chance to stand up to Medtronic’s market power. Dexcom and Tandem and TypeZero have been cooperating on the next t:slim hybrid closed loop. Now that Dexcom has gotten the iCGM rating from the FDA, maybe the TypeZero algorithms become technology that can be used (for a fee) in any pump that is approved to work with iCGM devices. Probably Tandem would rather keep it proprietary to them, but I don’t know what the current contracts say.

Who knows? Maybe we’ll see a Pod that runs with G6 CGM and a TypeZero closed-loop algorithm. Perhaps that’s not the current plan, but it’s one possible future.

I think that’s unlikely. Dexcom has been asked this at quarterly conference calls, and they’ve said they aren’t interested in becoming a pump company. I think they would rather be the CGM that all the pump companies use for looping, not the CGM that one single pump company uses.

7 Likes

Exactly. That makes this great. It definitely helps to keep choice and competition going.

I would be shocked if this was not exactly the plan.

2 Likes