Dexcom G6 Info

Will be good to see whether you can restart the G6 before upgrading.

They have hard-coded a 10-day hard-stop, right? I am really hoping folks can use things like XDrip+ to get around this. For us, it’s not the money – it’s subjecting our son to the invasive insertion process. We don’t usually get much more than 10 days out of it but we sure do love it when we do. The lack of calibration is a mixed blessing – we hardly ever calibrated nowadays anyways, but our son has become very resistant to finger-pokes as a result. And sometimes it really is beneficial to do the finger sticks and get the real-time numbers…

2 Likes

We get 14 days minimum, so a 10 day hard coded stop would make me thing hard about upgrading. Like you said, maybe XDrip+ is the answer, but we use Apple and so the steps aren’t so clear cut.

2 Likes

Based on this => accuracy, I see no real reason for me to switch. If it was better overall, sure. But if it is the same accuracy days 2-7, and I may not be able to use my old receiver (don’t want the new one), and the insertion device is bigger to carry around when traveling (from what I have heard, at least), I guess I will stick with the G5.

Similar/Improved accuracy:
the G6 is expected to be as accurate as G5, with potentially better accuracy on day one – even though it does not require calibrations.

1 Like

The old Dexcom receiver was able to be upgraded with previous updates so I expect the old receiver can also be upgraded to the G6. But I have not seen that stated by Dexcom (specifically) either way yet. Only my guess.

Funny line in the article you point to:

The t:slim X2 pump with Basal-IQ does not alert the user when pausing insulin delivery, which many agree decreases nuisance and interruption.

Really? The Tandem (with Basal-IQ) will not wake me up in the middle of the night to let me know that my basal is being suspended such that I will not go low such that I don’t have to wake up and check my BG and have carbs?
lol
One might almost suspect this is mentioned because some other pump wakes you up in the middle of the night to let you know your basal is being suspended such that you won’t go low in the middle of the night such that you don’t have to wake up.
What? No - that would be crazy. Can’t be.
:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

For me, the 28% decrease in size is quite appealing. We saw increased rates of pressure lows when we switched from g4 to g5. Looks to be about the same size as g4 now.

Particularly funny considering that the “some other pump” they are referencing considers anything less than 120 as a low. :open_mouth:
I would never get any sleep.

3 Likes

Supposedly the G6 insertion is easier because of the better inserter and finer needle. We’ll see.

This was actually confirmed this morning on the conference call by the Dexcom CEO.
Yes. The FDA has required Dexcom to put a 10-day hard stop on the G6 sensor.
Dexcom will be submitting an approval to extend the life to 14 days but that will not happen until 2019.

1 Like

Interesting. Any other significant news from the conference call?

The ability to optionally calibrate the G6 was also confirmed.

Interesting pics of very early and outdated documents from Dexcom on how the transmitter is removed. Again - these are very early and outdated. It is certainly possible the G6 may be similar (or not).

(I am not holding my breath hoping for the G6 to be substantially different then pictured below.)

Very old pics:
= = = = = = =

Less old but still outdated pics:
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

My diabetes supplier has confirmed about 90 days before it will be available for them to ship to customers.

I will guess they will trickle in before that, and “90 days” is “estimate long and over-deliver”. We’re having training on it April 4 - but that’s an official care team training.

1 Like

I wonder what would happen if some enterprising individual figured a way to remove the transmitter without pulling the sensor off. And then simply slid the transmitter back into place - onto that same 10-day old sensor still on the body.

I see two possibilities:

1. Each sensor has some sort of electronic unique id such that the transmitter recognizes this is a used sensor that has already hit the 10-day expiration and simply refuses to allow START SENSOR to operate.

2. The sensor has no active components and no way to provide a unique id. The transmitter upon recognizing the electrical connection to the sensor being broken when it is slid off, makes the assumption that the old sensor is discarded and a new sensor is being applied. The transmitter when slid back onto the sensor picks up the renewed electrical contact, knows that it is back with a sensor and simply assumes this is a new sensor. START SENSOR is now allowed to function. On the sensor which is already 10 days old.

Perhaps?

3 Likes

Well I hope it is that easy, although it couldn’t get much easier than it currently is. The current G5 is accurate enough for us at this point, that unless it offers something pretty unique that we don’t know about, we will probably not be first adopters.

2 Likes

@Chris
Due to our use of the Tandem, we would not be upgrading to the G6 until the Tandem supports it. Which means the same as you, we also will probably not be first adopters.

1 Like

And where might we find such an individual ?

I get 10-20+ days per sensor, and still using G4, so might be a while before I change.

1 Like

I don’t know. I can’t imagine where we might find somebody with the ingenuity required.

Maybe it is just not possible.

2 Likes

When you say a 10 day hard coded stop, does that mean you can’t just restart the process with the same sensor like I currently do with the G5?