Dexcom G5 question about ? ? ? on receiver

5 posts were split to a new topic: Dexcom: what happens if you don’t calibrate?

I see this when I am dehydrated.

2 Likes

Dave, I split your post into two threads, here is the second: Dexcom transmitter: how do you remove and reseat it in the sensor bed?. Hope that’s OK!

This may sound weird but I’ve noticed the dreaded ??? when my iPhone attempts or completes another Bluetooth connection (like in my car).

1 Like

My session only lasts a week. How do you extend it past that time? I had a problem last week and they sent me a new receiver. Everything seemed ok until tonight. I then got the 3?. When I checked my bg , it had nothing for about 45 min. I decided to call Dexcom but before I was able to reach anyone, my bg was back so I hung up. This is my new receiver. Was planning on a large bolus of Novolog because of presumed heavy carb dinner, but took less unless my count was wrong, rather than risk another hypo. I’m type2.

@NanaKP
You should simply be able to click the “Start Session” or “Sensor Warmup” or whatever the phrasing is to start the session.
If you want to restart the same sensor then physically you simply do nothing with the sensor itself. Just leave it alone and hit the start option on the receiver.

Also note that I would be surprised if the three question marks has anything do to with the Receiver. At least in my experience that has never been the case.

2 Likes

Good job on not over using. ALWAYS do a finger stick before injecting if you have inconsistent readings, or if you have symptoms that don’t match you cgm. I had the ??? and the dotless screen shortly getting a new meter. It hasn’t happened since then. If you keep receiving weird or incorrect info, call Dex com and wait to talk to someone. In the beginning of my Dex com use, I had many questions and screwed up with the insertion many times. This company has the greatest, most knowledgeable staff of any company I have ever called. That always have the answers and NEVER let me feel like the fool I think I am when I start the call. I’m a night person so often my calls are in the middle of the night and they are still calming.

1 Like

@NanaKP I sometimes get the ??? on my receiver because I was either lying on the sensor, the receiver and sensor are too far apart/opposite sides (front/back) of my body, or I had covered the transmitter with something metal like a phone or laptop. The ??? usually resolves itself in 30 min or less, but when it doesn’t I stop the sensor and restart it. That generally takes care of the problem. I personally average 40ish days with a sensor in my thigh, and 20ish days in my belly. I get better more consistent readings in my thigh than anywhere else on my body.

1 Like

Not weird. I saw the ??? recently (with G4) when my Bluetooth keyboard lost its connection, and I had to push the pairing keys to re-establish a connection. Clearly my receiver got some confusing signals.

1 Like

i Believe that Dexcom put some kind of validation on the new machines.

When i go into day 7, and want to re-use the same sensor, it always shows it.

if someone from Dexcom can reply to the comment it will be great.

the topic is the 3 questions. “???”

I always get this when i must (7days of use) change the sensor; but try and use the sensor for additional few days. No problem during my first 7 days.
Anyone else have the same problem?

@Marinus it happens to me too when the sensor times out on day 7. Stop sensor /start sensor, wait the 2 hours, calibrate and my Dexcom is usually happy again.

That’s what i do, somehow after day 7 i more frequently get ???, but normally before day 7 none.
Thanks

When you get the ??? after day 7, do you also see jitter in the graph? Like a smooth row of dots has some of them jump up or down a little bit? That’s an indication that the old sensor is getting weaker and less consistent in its measurements, and when that gets bad enough the receiver will stop showing BG and show ??? instead. Sometimes that problem will resolve itself after a few hours, and sometimes massaging the tissue around the sensor can help revive it. But for me, when I see the jitter and get the ??? I just change the sensor. Normally they run 12 to 16 days for me, but the actual sensor lifetime seems to vary quite a bit from person to person.

2 Likes